Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HP Has 3D Printers? I did not know that.

Posted by jcabrer 
HP Has 3D Printers? I did not know that.
July 08, 2011 06:01AM
Re: HP Has 3D Printers? I did not know that.
July 08, 2011 06:12AM
It is just a Stratosys printer with an hp label on it.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 08, 2011 03:56PM
It's a hell of a lot more expensive than any Reprap though

July 09, 2011 12:44AM
it is for a different market segment. no fuss engineering. Reprap is for do it yourself types, and more often now than in the past technology enthusiasts on a budget.
July 09, 2011 01:18AM
this is more z-corp/objet/stratasys level printer. looks cool though no pictures of prints
July 09, 2011 05:46AM
Interestingly these Stratasys printers still have superior build quality even to the so prised UP Printer. (HP only resell them for a higher price)

And the price mainly seems a sales strategy meaning that we could probably replicate it in some way.
The axis seems to work similar to how Darwin does things. X and Y do not meet in the middle with just one smooth rod visible.
But that's only on the surface I guess... Has anyone yet took a stratasys apart and took pictures?

I wonder how exactly these machines are built... they have more or less "invented" FDM so they obviously know what they are doing..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 05:51AM by ElectricMucus.
July 09, 2011 07:31AM
My brother works for HP and saw one of these in action up in Reading (UK) about a month ago. I think it was the mono version, and it printed an adjustable spanner (one of their usual test pieces apparently) in one piece using a second material for support. He said is had very good detail, and after the support material was washed away it even functioned well. But he didn't bring it home for me to get a look at!
July 10, 2011 06:58PM
How fast are these commercial 3D printers? Are they relatively slow, say 20mm/sec?
July 10, 2011 07:30PM
Video I've seen puts them in the 60mm/s range or so. Depends on the model I'm sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login