Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Manual Support

Posted by madscifi 
Manual Support
July 10, 2011 03:33PM
I've been playing around with the idea of using clay as a manual support material for PLA, and I've written up an page on the Wiki that describes the process.
Re: Manual Support
July 11, 2011 07:46AM
Cool stuff! It "only" needs a second extruder with a clay syringe to automate the process. cool smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
July 12, 2011 08:04PM
I suspect that the clay will have to be too wet when extruded from a syringe to make a good support for PLA . However, I plan to try some experiments as soon as I get all of the necessary equipment.
July 13, 2011 05:13AM
Yes, it'll probably have to flow a bit to make a nice, flat top surface. But if you use skirt all the way up (like you do in the pictures on the wiki), there will be a barrier to contain the clay, hopefully.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
July 19, 2011 01:09AM
Hmm.. that is really cool and gives me an idea, if you have the skirt, why not just fill the thing with a warm viscous fluid occasionally. perhaps dilute gelatin. the print would pause every now and again for you to top it off. This would work much better for a machine that has a moving printhead like the ultimaker than one with a moving platform though due to sloshing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login