Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what to build

Posted by oopster 
what to build
July 30, 2011 09:54PM
Hi all, just joined, but been looking at getting a reprap or similar since I first saw the cupcake cnc on the news last year. I need to know which of the four main reprap machines to build, but can't find the maximum build sizes anywhere (it might just be me being blind). I want to be able to make things like chasis for radio controlled model cars, and other spares. For smaller things, I'll be getting the automatic makerbot, but only once I've had some practice with this.

Thanks

Sarah
Re: what to build
July 30, 2011 10:31PM
If you click on the overview link for each of the four main versions on the wiki, you'll see the build envelop for each one. The original and Prusa Mendel both have a build envelop of 200mmx200mmx140mm and the older Darwin is 230x230x100. Information on the Huxley is not as easy to find since there appears to be many flavors. There seems to be two main versions of the Huxley: eMaker has a build volume of 140x140x100 but I can't find the specs for the Techzone. Perhaps those pages need to be edited by those who are familiar with them so they are consistent with the Mendel page.

The easiest and probably the cheapest one to build is the Prusa. You'll also find more help from others since it's probably the most commonly built version now. Note that you don't need to built a Makerbot just to build smaller parts if you already have a Mendel. The large bed can be used to make multiple parts at the same time.
July 31, 2011 06:36AM
I was only going to get the maker bot for smaller parts, as their latest one is an automatic version, so you just tell it "print 100 pieces" and it'll print 100 pieces, then has a supermarket style roller to to move the finished piece of the plate.
July 31, 2011 02:33PM
if money is no option that may be the thing to do. however, if you're like the rest of us, maybe you could build a prusa, then make it automatic smiling smiley
July 31, 2011 07:53PM
oopster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was only going to get the maker bot for smaller
> parts, as their latest one is an automatic
> version, so you just tell it "print 100 pieces"
> and it'll print 100 pieces, then has a supermarket
> style roller to to move the finished piece of the
> plate.

Very small parts. I have yet to hear the ABP works well for anything over 1" in ABS. The warping issue is just too much for a non-solid build surface.

Also, the large area of a prusa lets you print a lot of small parts at once, and you don't end up waiting for layers to cool.

I will say this though, the newest makerbots seem to be printing every bit as well as most repraps these days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login