Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

.stl files not appear correctly in Reprap console/grid

Posted by naples 
.stl files not appear correctly in Reprap console/grid
August 05, 2011 05:39PM
Hi,

I'm completely new to this and haven't even got all the parts for my first prusa. Until I have all the parts I thought I'd play around with the software. The problem is when I load a .stl file into the Reprap console (as described) the image doesn't appear correctly. All I see is a chaotic combination of vertices bearing no relation to the original file, they all look like they are midway through an internal explosion. I know the files I've tried 'work' because I've viewed them in OpenSCAD.

Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong here?
Re: .stl files not appear correctly in Reprap console/grid
August 05, 2011 08:15PM
How are you converting them to Gcode as Repsnapper is not very good at that, assuming you are using Repsnapper, most people convert with Skeinforge and then load into Repsnapper

August 06, 2011 04:14AM
I wasn't converting them to Gcode, I was just uploading as .stl files and getting rubbish. I've installed redsnapper and skeinforge now and the file views as I think it should.

Out and out newbie mistakes I guess. Thanks NelsonRap for pointing me on the right path....I have a long way to go!
August 06, 2011 09:06AM
I had the same problem when I imported stls into the java-based 'reprap host' software, which I think is what naples is referring to. This was on a Mac running Leopard 10.6, which I believe doesn't have as good support as in other OSs. Some stls imported correctly, but most did not, they looked exactly like naples describes them; "chaotic combination of vertices bearing no relation to the original file, they all look like they are midway through an internal explosion". I never tried it on Windows or Linux, as I found Repsnapper worked fine.
August 08, 2011 01:14AM
I design objects using a CAD program called Alibre.
I export the file as a .stl file.
I get the same thing -

What you need to do

Use a program like Blender (free).
Load the .stl file, select Render on the top tool bar, select Render Current Frame. Then from top tool bar, select file , export stl.
You should then be able to load the rendered .stl file with the Reprap software and generate Gcode.
VDX
August 08, 2011 01:25AM
... i'm using Lightwave 7.5 with a STL-import/export-plugin and select "binary", "Intel" and some "fix inverted normals" checkboxes for the export type parameters - maybe you have problems with ASCII-type STL's or the normalization of the triangles?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login