Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Speed waaaaaay to fast.

Posted by Hobbes20xx 
Extruder Speed waaaaaay to fast.
August 06, 2011 12:42PM
FInally figured out why my hot end jams. it seems like my wades extruder is going 10 times faster than it should be? which my hotend cant melt the plastic that fast, so it works for a second then nothing, and the filament gets chewed to crap. my config.h looks like this
//Calibration variables
float x_steps_per_unit = 80.376;
float y_steps_per_unit = 80;
float z_steps_per_unit = 1800;
float e_steps_per_unit = 600;
float max_feedrate = 200000; //mmm, acceleration!
float max_z_feedrate = 120;

heres the thing, when i press "extrude 5mm" in pronterface, it pulls exactly 5mm into the extruder...
Re: Extruder Speed waaaaaay to fast.
August 06, 2011 01:19PM
Hobbes20xx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> heres the thing, when i press "extrude 5mm" in
> pronterface, it pulls exactly 5mm into the
> extruder...

This means it's set up for Skeinforge 40 or newer and if you are using anything else to create the gcode it will be off 30-40 times.

Depending on the speed you are trying to print at and whether or not the thermistor is calibrated to what the read out says.

I am currently printing at 65mm/s and for PLA have to run it at 220c or I run out of molten plastic.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 06, 2011 01:26PM
hmm im a little confused, my thermistor table is correct, what should i do? heres my gcode:
Attachments:
open | download - 40mmcube_export.gcode (265.8 KB)
August 06, 2011 01:50PM
Looks like you have Raft turned off. And this has the unfortunate effect of disabling skeinforges temperature settings. So turn raft back on and change the values marked (integers) to "0" and it will not produce a raft but still put the temperature settings in the Gcode.

If you wait two minutes after the jam does it work again for a few seconds? (has it melted more)

If Yes,
I would try increasing the temperature. It is normal for the thermistor to read hotter than the inside of the melt chamber because of its location. The only way to know if its correct is to use a thermocouple down the heater barrel and then recalculate the thermistor table.

If No,
It may be that you are having a physical jam like described here. [forums.reprap.org] [forums.reprap.org]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
August 06, 2011 02:01PM
Hobbes20xx Wrote:
> hmm im a little confused, my thermistor table is
> correct, what should i do? heres my gcode:

The E values are way too high. It doesn't look like it was generated with SF 40 or later. You need to use SF 40 or later with the e_steps_per_unit value in your firmware.
August 06, 2011 02:04PM
brnrd Wrote:
> Hobbes20xx Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > hmm im a little confused, my thermistor table
> is
> > correct, what should i do? heres my gcode:
>
>
> The E values are way too high. It doesn't look
> like it was generated with SF 40 or later. You
> need to use SF 40 or later with the
> e_steps_per_unit value in your firmware.

WOW I missed that.

If you are using SF 40 or newer it may be that the Feed/flowrate are not even. ( under the speed tab make sure both feedrate and flowrate are the same "16" )

August 06, 2011 03:22PM
okay i turned raft on and it looks slower already, now i just think i need to tweak skeinforge's heat settings, as i wasnt aware that skeinforge not pronterface controlled the heat setting. i havent changed my feed/flowrates, but looking at them they are feed rate ...16 and flow rate setting (float) 210? is this okay or should that be changed to 16?
August 06, 2011 03:44PM
Hobbes20xx Wrote:
> okay i turned raft on and it looks slower already,
> now i just think i need to tweak skeinforge's heat
> settings, as i wasnt aware that skeinforge not
> pronterface controlled the heat setting. i havent
> changed my feed/flowrates, but looking at them
> they are feed rate ...16 and flow rate setting
> (float) 210? is this okay or should that be
> changed to 16?

Both need to be the same number. If you want to print at 16mm/s, set them both to 16. If you want to print at 30 set them both to 30. etc. etc.

August 07, 2011 06:51PM
alright will do!
August 07, 2011 07:26PM
i did everything both of you said to do, and i remade my gcode. heres the new

however, the flowrate seems reaaaaaaaaaaal slow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2011 07:40PM by Hobbes20xx.
Attachments:
open | download - 40mmcube_export.gcode (252.5 KB)
August 07, 2011 07:52PM
Looks right to me.

Have you tried printing?
If yes and not enough material is coming out make sure you have the Filament packing density set to 1 and that the diameter of the filament is set correct and try again.

If no. Try

August 07, 2011 07:57PM
yea, changed filament packing density from .85 to 1 and diameter from 2.8 to 3.0...here goes again
August 07, 2011 08:08PM
so, now it decided as soon as it got to the middle of my platform to throw my extruder in reverse for a few seconds before printing. which caused a jam
August 07, 2011 08:09PM
Hobbes20xx Wrote:
> yea, changed filament packing density from .85 to
> 1 and diameter from 2.8 to 3.0...here goes again

Increasing the diameter will mean less comes out.

I measure mine with digital calipers and it measures 2.7 to 2.85 so I set it to 2.7. If I set it to 2.85 and it gets to a spot only 2.7 it does not have enough plastic.

August 07, 2011 08:13PM
Hobbes20xx Wrote:
> so, now it decided as soon as it got to the middle
> of my platform to throw my extruder in reverse for
> a few seconds before printing. which caused a jam

Its most likely you had not reset your firmware yet and because you use absolute extrusion distance it saw the last position of your extruder at say E 55.786. Then you started a new print which requested E 0.034 which it had to reverse for.

S either reset the firmware before starting or type in "G92 E0" to set E at 0

August 08, 2011 01:13PM
I was having a similar problem when I first started out. I did not want to use rafts when I printed quite yet so instead I added a line of gcode to the start up file that simply read

G0 F300

It seamed to me that the initial purge of the extruder was too fast because there never was a federate specified before it. I decided to set it low at 300 because this is still during the warm up procedure and I didn't want to strip the PLA. The rest of the gcode has it's own feed-rates specified when generated with SF 40.
August 08, 2011 05:12PM
IT WORKED!
thanks so much sublime! it printed really well, until i ran out of filament, i wasnt expecting it to work hehe... now to duplicate the results..
August 09, 2011 07:51AM
I ran into this same issue. So, if I understand things, some software expects E to specify the length of the extruded filament, and other software expects E to specify the length of the filament taken into the extruder and skeinforge may do either depending on its version?

Hmm.. that doesn't seem like a good situation, if both are going to exist, we should figure out some way to indicate which we want, unless everyone has decided it should be mm of consumed filament (which makes sense) and some software just has not caught up (repsnapper).

John
August 09, 2011 09:42AM
John - Skeinforge 40 and later specifies E in terms of feed length. Versions before that uses extruded filament length. Right now, it's better if you stick to SF for generating g-codes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login