Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh joy, and take it apart...error in my build or manual?

Posted by MikeyK 
Oh joy, and take it apart...error in my build or manual?
September 04, 2011 03:53PM
At this point its kinda frustrating to see that you have to take this build apart..is this an error in my build or in the manual?

Are my plastics somehow different or...? (Nopheads plastics)

See picture, the belt will not be quite at right place:
Attachments:
open | download - error.jpg (153.9 KB)
Re: Oh joy, and take it apart...error in my build or manual?
September 04, 2011 04:49PM
Yeah, I encountered the same thing, after assembly. It looks like the Visual Guide (which is what I was following) hasn't been updated to reflect the fact that the nut and washer isn't needed between the Y-axis and the fender/mud washer. See here (in red) for the update which isn't in the guide:

[reprap.org]

I think I should be able to undue the entire rod and slide things in place to remove the extra parts but I haven't actually tried yet. I still haven't even attached my belts yet so it's not super horrible if I have to reverse things in a more major way.
September 04, 2011 05:05PM
Hi,

I'll try and find some time to update the guide so it's in sync with the latest instructions. (https://github.com/garyhodgson/prusa_mendel_visual_instructions/issues/12)

For what it's worth, I upgraded my print bed this weekend and at the same time removed this nut and washers. I did it by rotating the rod and unscrewing it about half way - pretty much as john writes above.

Cheers,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 06:37PM by garyhodgson.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
September 04, 2011 06:53PM
September 04, 2011 07:58PM
Hi Mikey,
If you haven't taken your entire build apart already, you should be able to thread out that rod on it's own, to remove the unwanted nut and washers, without dismanteling your entire assembly, then thread it back in, check your alignments, and tighten back up.

Hope it goes ok.
NumberSix.

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
September 04, 2011 10:23PM
with [www.thingiverse.com] or similar you wouldn't even have to take the rod out, just loosen, unclip, move the nut to the other side winking smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
September 04, 2011 11:03PM
Similar problems with my build [julianh72.blogspot.com] , but not as severe, so I was able to correct for it by just pushing the toothed pulley a bit further along the motor shaft. Frustrating, anyway ...

(My bigger problem was that the Y-Motor Mount was a bit distorted, so the motor doesn't sit quite square. It seems to turn OK, and the Y-Axis seems to move OK, but I'll only know for sure when I get the electronics wired up.)

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
September 05, 2011 02:16AM
Thank you all smiling smiley
September 05, 2011 03:05AM
The motors I have just received have long enough shafts on them to enable me to leave the nut in place

September 05, 2011 04:06AM
Not a good idea though as the belt tension is more likely to bend the bracket. I can't see why the extra nut was ever there in the first place.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 05, 2011 06:19AM
Hey guys, you might want to give try to this medicine:

[www.thingiverse.com]

You'll need a 12x28x8mm bearing (I received the one I ordered, perfect push fit), and a modded printed pulley (extended with a cylinder of 12mm diameter) (I am using a machined pulley instead).
Goes well with a couple of printed idlers.
September 06, 2011 06:12PM
garyhodgson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guide is updated.

Did you look into the Y axis belt rubbing the lower center cross threaded rod? [forums.reprap.org]
September 06, 2011 06:33PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not a good idea though as the belt tension is more
> likely to bend the bracket. I can't see why the
> extra nut was ever there in the first place.

Fair point I'm going to remove it too as I can see it's not needed

September 07, 2011 03:07AM
Hi Mikey - I believe the guide now has a note saying the cross bar rod goes underneath now.

http://issuu.com/garyhodgson/docs/prusa_mendel_visual_instructions/35?viewMode=fullscreen

September 07, 2011 05:58AM
Thanks!

My build is "almost" complete, mechanics have been nearly assembled and I have basically followed your guide.

I know the extruders are a completely different topic, but you seem to have wade's extruder in the guide and was wondering if there could be some part that would handle that too?

The extruder build itself is a simple task, but for example there could be a part that would tell to fit washers that align the hobbed bolt exactly to the center of the funnel where the filament goes through. I had to sand down a thick washer to align the bolt exactly right. That was the most tedious task smiling smiley

Yours, Mikko Kosonen aka. MikeyK
September 07, 2011 02:24PM
The way I handled that was to use the washers as my guide to hob my bolt. I stuck a fresh bolt in with two everyday washers, and then marked where the filament channel lined up to the bolt with a sharpie. Then I cut my filament groove to the exact spot I'd marked. As long as I use the same washers it lines up perfectly.
September 07, 2011 03:08PM
Hi Mikey,

Do you mean something more than the wade's instructions?

I guess I was lucky with my hobbed bolt because it fit fine with 2 washers, without having to modify them. Once I got going I started making my own bolts using a dremel and because the cuts are along the bolt they are a little more forgiving with positioning.

September 07, 2011 03:53PM
Ah =) There was an instructions manual. Sorry, did not notice it! Forget my post then smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login