Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who Manufactures ABS/PLA filiament?

Posted by disneytoy 
Who Manufactures ABS/PLA filiament?
September 21, 2011 11:23AM
Hi!

I'm pretty good at googling things, but other than the couple of Reprap "hobby" companies, I haven't been able to find an actual manufacturer that supplied the plastic in bulk. I accept for hobby purposes, $18-20 a pound is okay, but clearly a ubiquitous material like ABS costs a fraction of that. Not as familiar with where PLA is used in manufacturing.

I've been googling: Plastic, wire, coil, PLA, ABS, Manufacturer, filament, 3mm, without luck.

I'm sure you can find it in China, but I'd like to find who makes this stuff in the US. I did find reference that the ABS is used in plastic welding.

I'm in California, and I can imagine someone sells it around Los Angeles?

Thanks

Max
Re: Who Manufactures ABS/PLA filiament?
September 21, 2011 11:58AM
Ultimachine.com says they get their PLA from NatureWorks: [www.natureworksllc.com] .

I've (briefly) looked at getting plastic from the manufacturer before and it didn't seem like something they made easy. I assumed this is because the people who actually make the stuff are going to be asking about how many 100s-of-pounds you want in each color.
Re: Who Manufactures ABS/PLA filiament?
September 21, 2011 01:37PM
Natureworks only makes the resin, you then have to have it extruded. By someone like [www.villageplastics.com] who make a few of the U.S. retailers filament for them.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login