Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on first printer

Posted by darryn 
Advice on first printer
June 14, 2013 02:34AM
Hi all.

I am new to 3D printing and need some advice on a first printer.
I have been looking at the Prusa I2 and I3, but don't know if there is anything else that I should be looking at.
My main problem in the build will be sourcing the printed parts, as I don't have access to be able to print a set of my own.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Darryn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 02:35AM by darryn.
Re: Advice on first printer
June 14, 2013 09:17AM
Hi Darryn

I am putting together an I3 with a laser cut plywood frame and i can say its worth it. It has a small nr of printed parts and there is a modification so that you only need 4 motors(building mine with 5). I was fortunate to get my parts from a friend in AUS so i cant help you there.

Something else to consider i like to mention is that i ordered almost everything from some international store. I am trying to create a hot end locally but I am finding it difficult getting someone that cant make the 0.2mm+ holes in the nozzles but i will get there.

Once i am done i will make the I3 printed parts available to anyone at a fee to cover my costs....I everything goes well this should be done by the end of 2013 maybe even sooner.

Ryno
August 30, 2013 04:43AM
Hi Ryno

I also wish to build a printer and live in Cape Town. Do you have the printed parts available yet?
September 23, 2013 05:23PM
I could possibly make you a set of parts if you settled on a design and you know what you need.
September 23, 2013 06:03PM
Hi Darryn!

I would recommend you go with the Prusa i3 design, it is alot faster and easier to build. I can supply you with a laser cut i3 frame and the printed parts as well as many other bits and pieces you may need. Feel free to drop me a PM and we can chat

DIYElectronics
January 01, 2014 04:27AM
I am Herman le Roux, from George. I have been looking at 3D printing for quit some time now, and decided to get into this. I have studied the RepRap wiki, and like the Prusa. I will appreciate any advise, and words of wisdom or caution. Looking forward to make a contribution.
January 08, 2014 01:27AM
umkulo
I am Herman le Roux, from George. I have been looking at 3D printing for quit some time now, and decided to get into this. I have studied the RepRap wiki, and like the Prusa. I will appreciate any advise, and words of wisdom or caution. Looking forward to make a contribution.

You can build a delta printer with the minimum of printed parts and then print your own parts once operational. You only need the filament feeder printed and even that can be made out of aluminium. Contact me off list if you need help with printed parts

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
January 09, 2014 04:55AM
Stay away from the Ormerod, I just purchased that via RS and it has a lot of issues.

Dieter, Cape Town

Ormerod #257
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login