Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Workshops

Posted by JohnPowell 
Workshops
January 09, 2015 04:37AM
Hi All
I have just built my first 3D Printer (entry level - Prusa I3 from DIY Electronics)
It is up and running after some minor adjustments
The print quality is fine and I expect further improvement as stability modifications are completed
My entreprenurial background includes Engineering, Manufacturing, Plastic Injection Moulding, Property Development - spanning almost 50yrs
My question is whether or not an active work group exists in Cape Town that meets periodically to exchange ideas etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2015 04:38AM by JohnPowell.
Re: Workshops
January 30, 2015 07:45AM
Hi JohnPowell

I will also be getting a new printer. (I3) and i will be in Strand.

I think you have a very good idea about creating workshops, and i would definitely be a part of it.

Do you have any marketing ideas that you would like to share?

Thanx
February 02, 2015 06:48AM
Hi Kenny652
You will have noticed that you are the only reply to my query about a workshop / group
This is because there isn't one - it seems!
NetRam in century city are expanding to a walk around retail outlet for their supplies
They are very helpful and knowledgable and intimated that they may start coffee sesions whereby clients could meet and discuss
This would be a great starting point
At the moment I personally don't have time to initiate/run a user group and haven't thought any further in this regard (or re marketing)
However I would attend any such group meetings
The guys at NetRam told me that there is a workshop somewhere in Woodstock where one can go and use facilites if you don't have your own
Not sure what this is all about and haven't taken the time to track it down yet
I have previously seen guys at the model engineers show in Rondebosch who also built their own machines and will make contact with them later this year when they exhibit again
Afraid this is all I have for now and thanks for the contact
Am very much enjoying my 3D printer
April 28, 2015 11:21AM
Hi Guys

I am out in Worcester. Myself and a friend who got me into this have both 3d printers.

I did build my printer from scratch. Did not buy a kit. Think their is a need to talk to other people as i have had a few difficulties building and setting up.

Regards

Riaan
April 28, 2015 01:16PM
Hi Riaan
Well done on what you have undertaken anyway
There has been no further progress on a workshop in Cape Town and no appropriate response from any members
It seems strange as there is so much to share
I will be going to the model engineers show which I expect to take place within the next month or two in Rondebosch
Previously I have met guys there who built their own printers and will ask how they feel about a workshop
My printer (built from a kit) is fine and prints most days as part of my ongoing development process
Lots of modifications taking place as I go
Time permitting I am designing / building a bigger better printer from scratch
What areas are you having difficulty?
Good luck and keep in touch
April 28, 2015 01:35PM
Hi Riaan
In looking further on this forum, it seems there is more action than I thought in the Cape Town area
Not sure if you have looked at the recent post [forums.reprap.org]]Building a RepRap in ZA
Regards
May 03, 2015 04:29PM
I have my P3Steel sorted quite good but still learning.
I will post a photo bit later of one specific problem i don't have a clue about.
I will go to model engineers show. Guess i can find info on the net if i google it.

Where do you buy filament from. I am getting mine from DIY Electronics. Would like to know more about filament. I think theres also come from China.

Riaan
May 04, 2015 04:37AM
Hi Riaan
I have the Prusa i3 from DIY electronics
In regard to the model engineers show, there is no guarantee that the
same guys will be there - suggest you email one of the organisers and
check
I get my filament from DIY electronics and Netram here in Cape Town -
(Beautiful filament from Netram)
Perhaps when I have more time I will build an extruder (I come from the
industry) as filament is ridiculously expensive
Most seem to come from China, but there are many suppliers around the
world
There seem to be some local manufacturers as well, but one has enough
problems in the early stages of learning the technology without problem
filaments (and some are, even the imported ones)
You are welcome to ask about the problem you have, just in case I have
any ideas

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 04:40AM by JohnPowell.
May 04, 2015 02:44PM
Yes please.
Have a look at the cube photos. The back to corners don't stay cool and curl up resulting in a mess. The front to corners are good. This does not make sense to me. I am extruding ABS 3 mm with a .4 mm nozzle. Heat bed at 100 and nozzle 230. printing at 40mm/s at .2mm layers. Extruder multiply is set to .7 giving me i fine .4mm single wall thickness when printed. I am using an enclosure with no extra heating.
I have checked extruder and it is set to 914 steps. Still leaving a about 5mm left when extruding 100mm calibration.
I get good results on bigger prints but struggle on smaller. This tells me it is getting to hot so i left the enclosure open but same this. Why only back two corners and not front as well.
Do you think i should try a blowing fan on print to help with cooling?

Regards
Riaan
Attachments:
open | download - On Bed.jpg (230.5 KB)
open | download - View.jpg (222.8 KB)
open | download - View1.jpg (217.4 KB)
open | download - View2.jpg (261.2 KB)
open | download - View3.jpg (235.1 KB)
May 05, 2015 08:43AM
Hi Riaan
I am a bit jammed for time right now, but here are a few items from my experience at this point in time (I am not an expert and still learning as well)
It seems you like ABS as do I (I expect to use PLA though where temp requirements allow - especially where ABS is proving difficult)
ABS comes with some problems - picks up moisture etc
It must be really dry (if not then at least 3hrs in an oven at 50-60deg) - Preferably a Standard kitchen oven with a built in fan so the heat is coming from hot air and not radiation from elements
Tiny bubbles in the extruded filament is a red flag for moisture
ABS has shrinkage issues so in an ideal situation the temp all around it should the same until finished and cooled
This is difficult to achieve without an enclosure - but you have one
Even the slightest draft is a issue on some prints
I have solved this problem in a number of instances by printing a skirt the same height as the print and 1 to 2 mm away from it
Also you have to hold the corners down, even print pads on the corners or a brim (sometimes you can design to minimise these problems)
On the bed I use Kapton tape and a firm hairspray, refreshed between prints
Usually and probably in this instance ABS doesn't seem to like a fan
I don't think you are running too hot
I run a 117deg bed and ABS at 245deg
I prefer 1.75 filament based on a suspected more control issue - just as a matter of interest (I would imagine it depends somewhat on the size of what you want to print)
There is often huge differences from one slicer to another - what slicer are you using?
It would also be better to get your calibration better 5mm left after extruding 100mm - I personally would not expect this to be good and don't like to change the extrusion % other than 1st layer (.4mm at 250%)
Presumably your bed is as near as dammit - within around 50microns of perfect?
Much of what I have said is not necessarily related to your problem, but it all adds up
As with everything when most things are right, one or two errors are not often a problem
It can be very frustrating at times
As you have said the problem (shrinkage / issues) is on the back where it is probably coolest, not too hot like you suspect
Things are not always as they seem - curling up is usually caused by shrinkage
What fill % and retraction settings are you using?
My answers are based on where I am at right now and you may not agree, but there may also be some items here that will help you
May 05, 2015 02:33PM
Oooo Cape Town mense. Howsit ouens I gots one of them did electronics Jobbies too. Building a Smartrap at the moment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 02:34PM by eviltoy.
May 05, 2015 08:02PM
Thanks for the input.

I have re-calibrated and are doing better. Getting PLA this week and will then see how that prints. Looks like the way to go.

Will give some feedback later in the week.
May 06, 2015 02:59AM
Enjoy it and let us know how it goes
May 06, 2015 04:43AM
Who sells e3d hotends locally?
May 06, 2015 04:48AM
Don't know but I imagine either DIY Electronics or Netram would know
May 06, 2015 05:12AM
Nah they don't Ill have to bring one in
May 06, 2015 09:39AM
Hi RiaanLR
Another instance of draft from the Arduino processor fan causing problems
I literally put up shields of polystyrene blocks - see attached pic
It solved the problem!
In other words, don't underestimate what a small draft can do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 09:43AM by JohnPowell.
Attachments:
open | download - Air shielded.JPG (43.4 KB)
May 06, 2015 10:55AM
Anyone know where I can get LJ18A3-8-Z/BX locally?
May 06, 2015 11:04AM
Suggest you use the main forum
Home > RepRap User Groups > Africa > South Africa, Cape Town RepRap User Group
May 09, 2015 07:24PM
I made my own e3d hotend on the lathe. Really not difficult to do. I am not a turner just have one for hobbies. Works like a charm.

Riaan
May 09, 2015 07:29PM
Hi John

I have spend the last few days setting up auto bed leveling. At last i can report it is working good. So now i will set up the fan and try to print PLA.

Unbelievable to think that those little foam shielding makes such a big difference. When printing PLA (soon) i will have to keep the enclosure open. I hope to get better results with the small things.

Riaan
May 09, 2015 07:39PM
They are not in Cape Town but sure in SA.

[www.switches.co.za]

Riaan
May 10, 2015 01:44PM
Hi Riaan
Well done on the hot end and the auto bed levelling
The little foam blocks is only part of what I used
The main ones are much much larger
Also I have now blocked the draft from the fan cooling the arduino and ramps boards
On a cold evening I couldn't believe the cold air coming from there
This is not noticeable in normal temperatures, but with my thermal camera it was easy to see where my problems were
Currently getting great prints in ABS
In regard to the model engineers show next weekend, I can only get there on sunday midday
If you are there we could compare notes briefly
John Powell
May 10, 2015 02:04PM
You made one???? Blerry awesome!! I ended up buying one from the states bought a lite and a v6
May 12, 2015 04:57AM
Hi John
I got the PLA print going. It was some tweaking to get it right but worth the effort. Very nice prints.
The top layers come out allmost nicer than the bottom. What i found was that it did not stick to glass with gluestick on it. I got it sticking to blue painters tape.
Remember to just wipe the painters tape with alcohol or acetone. You will see the shiny coating come off. It sticks to painters tape almost to well.
I need to remove the tape to get the parts off. Also I do not need to heat the painters tape or glass to have it stick to that.

I will try the PVA glue(white wood glue) and water solution tomorrow.

Regards

Riaan
May 12, 2015 05:49AM
Hi Riaan
Progress is always nice...
I use Kapton tape most of the time
But I always use a firm hairspray on the bed no matter what the surface and heated or not for both ABS or PLA
Apparently the best hairspray is Garnier but I haven't found it - so use a gold firm product and sometimes clean between prints with rubbing alcohol
Sharing what we all do can be very useful
Regards
John
May 12, 2015 08:31AM
I couldnt come right with hairspray so I went with Pritt. Works for me
May 14, 2015 02:58AM
Hi John

I am also in cape town and built a DIY prusa I3 on the weekend, having issues with setup though. Nick & Rob have been a great help on compiling issues now I seem to have an issue with software which I hope to iron out soon, any advice most welcome. I dabble in some cnc and cad cam so the concepts are not foreign. I think the idea of a CPT workshop is great. The funny thing is that even on the cnc forums there are not many guys in SA let alone CPT that are involved. Being somewhat of an oldtimer myself and one who has every right to be a technophobe I cannot for the life of me understand why this kind of stuff is not being offered in place of wood work and metal arts at schools arround the country.
May 19, 2015 05:10AM
Hi Nutt
I have heard that some schools are now including 3D printing
Hope you have ironed out your software issues
What was / is the problem?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login