Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a RepRap in ZA

Posted by Mike Davis 
Building a RepRap in ZA
January 23, 2008 01:21PM
Hi fellow South Africans,

I'm in Cape Town and I've just started putting parts together for a RepRap, but I've been battling to get a local supplier for PolyMorph (or equivalent). So once I've finished building the rig, I'm going to bring in some from the US - is anyone interested in sharing shipping costs etc?

Mike Davis
Re: Building a RepRap in ZA
June 09, 2008 05:28AM
Hi There,

I'm also from south africa (Vaal Triangle) and I'm contemplating of also building something similiar to reprap. Did you manage to finish yours ? I'd be interested to see some pictures.

Thanks,
Tom
November 26, 2008 06:28AM
Hi everyone.
I am eager to build one here in JHB.
I have a small mountain of super stepper motors here if anyone is interested. Ideally I would like to swap it for some rep rapping goodies, but if you really need some, just ask.
January 07, 2009 08:20AM
Hi, i am in JHB as well.

i have all the metal parts for the reprap, my father owns a hardware store, so that was easy enough

have ordered the electronic kit from the RRRF since im sick of trying to etch my own PCB's using UV light & chemicals. I will order the plastic parts from bits from bytes as soon as the 3rd generation design is done.

i have a blog where i have been trying to build my own arduoino & also am just messing it up. here are the two related posts
[iouzo.blogspot.com]
[iouzo.blogspot.com]
i tried to get two arduino serial PCB's printed locally, at a cost of R60 so R30 each. they turned out wrong. so i wont use that supplier anymore sad smiley
i have also ordered a arduino from the RRRF...

i am of the understanding that once you have one working arduino, you can make your own, then use serial bit bang to program the other chips. this is what i want to do since the AVR programmer is ~R2000 which is ridiculous!

Mike as for your question about about the PolyMorph, i have ordered 5lbs of it, also from RRRF, im sure there are local suppliers of the equivalent... 5lbs is ~2kgs

the only time i have had for this project has been December & this month January... all the local companies i have emailed about making PCB's & plastic or aluminum milling have been closed for the holidays, which is such a pity since i really thought i would have had a fully built & working reprap by mid January.

Murray it seams you are the closest to me. i would be interested in starting a user group to get this up to speed.
January 08, 2009 02:50AM
R2000!
Thats rediculous.
You can build a programmer for about R10, and get all the software required for free.

Here is the link for the cheap, simple diy programmer [www.opend.co.za]
January 13, 2009 06:52PM
Hi everyone, I just thought I'd keep everyone posed on my progress!

[iouzo.blogspot.com]

[iouzo.blogspot.com]

Does anyone know if anyone from South Africa has built a reprap? or repstrap?
January 15, 2009 03:05PM
Hey,

I started building one and then stopped when I realised the cost of the PolyMorph was going to be rather high - I'd be interested to know how much it costs from RRRF, once you've added the shipping costs?

Mike
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 01:20PM
Hi All,

I am part of a Hackerspace (www.hackerspaces.org) based in Durban called DUCTAPE (www.ductape.co.za), and we are also looking at building a Reprap based rapid prototyper.

Anyway, If you are needing an AVR programmer, have a look at AVRDOPER (http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/avrdoper.html). I have one, and am very happy with it. Coincidentally I also have a spare pre-programmed AVRDOPER firmware chip that I'm sure somebody will be able to talk me out of.

Anyway, the programmer runs under Linux, and Windows, and is STK500 compatible.

Otherwise, if you need a chip programmed, let me know.
May 01, 2009 09:13AM
hot smiley Hi! My nick name is Krasko.I am based in Cape Town-Table View.I have the potential to build RepRap from a scratch and improved it many times over-in terms of axial movement-more axis and freedom ,different extrusion head-for different material-metal powders and molten metals , multiple heads ,PolyMorph substitutes ;and finally implementation of the concept on industrial scale.
I am planning to build one ASAP and will let You know about my progress.My hands are full with other projects right now , but I will make a window to accommodate this one.
Regards to all participants!We have to save the World!!!trough technology!
June 22, 2009 01:37PM
Me and a friend are attempting to build a reprap. We have access to a laser cutter, so we will be building the laser cut version of the mechanical parts.

Where in SA can i find the filament (or equivalent)?

We are based in Bloemfontein at the Free State University School of Architecture.

Im home (Klerksdorp) for the holidays so feel free to contact me via pm here and ill give you my email.
Hi All,

Have built and tested the Version 3 Hardware, and am now calibrating the software / hardware, but not for a reprap, but for a foam cutting/plotting CNC machine. To make model aeroplanes.

Are using the same stepper motors, and home made table with x,y and z axis. Anyone interested, send me a mail: in Tokai, Cape Town

Thnx
Jonathan
October 04, 2009 04:58AM
Hi

I am in the process of manufacturing the reprap, but would prefer to make the Mendell series, being later. The good thing is that I have access to a full cnc machine shop and will be making the first parts for the RepRap. The PCB's I will be making a few extra for future RepRapers and perform the programming. My skills I bring to the table (excuse pun) is that I am an electronics & software engineer. Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
November 19, 2009 06:54AM
Hi

I am a student at UCT doing a project this vac - hoping to make a reprap. Ideally I'd like to make the newer Mendel, but can definately settle for the older one and easily enough upgrade later or something. It would be great to get some advice as well as organize some materials from other RepRapers in Cape Town (JungleJake, Krasko, Jonathan Starke...). Please get hold of me asap so that I can get the project underway.

Thanks
Stefan
January 10, 2010 06:32AM
Hello

I am in Pretoria and in the process to build a REPRAP. Still new to project I am still surfing a lot to try and get every thing together. I own a small Engineering shop with CNC Turning and Milling machines as well as a Wire EDM, EDM, Surface Grinding etc. I use Solid Modeling software for design and to produce machine paths.
Is there anybody with some parasolid.x_t or step.stp files for the metal works, or should I design my own. I offer my skills and assistance to fellow REPRAP builders.

LouisW
January 12, 2010 12:57AM
Hello

My name is Marius and I am based in the Pretoria / Gauteng area.
I recently started on the reprap Mendel project and have done the following:
1. Acquired 35 of about 96 (?) RP parts. The rest of the parts should arrive this week. The parts that I currently have, is mainly for the x-axis assembly. I have started with the assembly, but still require bearings and belt.
2. Acquired steel rods. Currently sawing to correct frame lengths.
3. Acquired one, untested stepper motor.
4. I have spent the past few weeks perfecting my techniques for producing my own PCBs. Like all things that you make yourself, I guess, you will never be happy with its final quality. Although, it is kinda DIY and I am sure to improve as I go along. I have an almost completed Gen3 motherboard (I made a stuff-up on the pinout of the Atmega644 IC, ouch!), and a fully populated StepperDriver 1.2 board, missing some through via connections for the power connectors.
I am currently drilling extruder board.
5. For the power supply, I have raided one of my old PC power supplies, but could not get the correct voltage readings from my multi-meter, as per the pin-outs on the reprap website. Hmmmmm. The quest continues.

Future plans:
1. Complete mechanical frame
2. Purchase three additional motors i.e. y- z- and extruder motors
3. Purchase thin and thick plates
4. Complete electronics i.e.
4.1. Make two more stepper boards - and test
4.2. Six opto switch boards
4.3. Complete extruder-controller
OPTIONAL: Thermo-couple sensor
5. Work on power supply
6. Make extruder
7. Purchase belts and bearings
8. Purchase extrusion plastic eg. PLA

So, as you can see, I still have plenty to do......
I am looking forward to seeing what my fellow reprappers in ZA (zaprappers?) will do.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers.
May 28, 2010 10:09AM
Hey

Has anyone had any luck getting filament locally? Otherwise, is the best place reprapsource (ABS plastic)?
June 02, 2010 07:59AM
I have had no luck sourcing local filament. Dont know about reprapsource.
confused smiley

Cheers
Marius
Hi Murray

If your "small mountain of super stepper motors" has not reduced to an open cast mine, I'd be interested in swapping, currently I only have a few old PICs or blue pre printed paper from the mint.

I'm looking at converting my radial arm saw to a CNC rep-strap.

Chris
Reprap Protoplastic
September 17, 2010 02:59PM
Hi all.

Casting parts for the reprap just got easier !!!
Have a look at this website

[netram.co.za]

Reprap kits coming soon ! will keep you posted.
Thanks
Jared
Re: Reprap Protoplastic
September 17, 2010 03:43PM
Polycaprolactone for the win! Fun stuff! smiling bouncing smiley

Jared, are you casting it in urethane or silicone rubber molds?

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 22, 2010 03:45PM
Hi Everyone

Yesterday I stumbled on the Reprap wiki and I immediately decided that I want one!
I have technical knowledge in electronic engineering but no too much practical experience.
So far I've tried locating parts online but it already seems like its going to much more work than I anticipated.
Can anyone give me pointers on getting started and where exactly I should start?
Maybe some places where I can start looking for components?

I've looked at the ordering of the ICs and found that a lot of the suppliers only sell in bulk.
Would someone be interested in sharing costs and components?
I stay in Bellville, so I'm sure there must be suppliers around.

Thanks in advance
Christo
September 23, 2010 03:57AM
Hi Christo

Mail me or chat with me on GTALK.

theo dot exall at gmail dot com
October 07, 2010 05:39AM
Hi All

I'm from PE, South Africa and have become intrigued by the RepRap concept.

After some deliberation about whether or not to build one up from scratch, I eventually decided to go with the Lasercut kit from Botmill as I hope it will save me some time in getting my Mendel up and running.
I've ordered it and now anxiously await its arrival.

There doesn't seem to be too much going on in ZA around RepRap. Let's hope we can change that.

Has anyone here got a fully functional RepRap Mendel and have you printed anything useful?
October 23, 2010 04:40AM
Hi guys

I need help!!!! can any1 supply me reprap parts???? I am in Durban. I want to build the 3d printer....how do I source the components in ZA?

Vimaan
November 14, 2010 03:54PM
Well my RepRap build is coming on nicely.

This weekend I printed my first usable part - I had to replace the small gear on my extruder as it was slipping on the motor shaft.
It was a race against time to get a replacement one printed before the original stopped working altogether.

The one which I got with my kit was the original type (from Wade's extruder) made out of PLA and had no hole for a grub screw.
So I printed the upgraded version which I downloaded from Thingiverse, which includes the grub screw.
Now my extruder is humming along happily again,

Here's a pic of the old one which I had to modify with some polymorph and a makeshift grub screw. It held out long enough to print its replacement.

And here's my new replacement gear, printed in blue ABS. The finish is still a bit rough as I need to dial in my print settings, but the part is fully functional.

I love my new RepRap, this is so much fun.

By the way, anyone in SA looking for ABS filament, I have some which should be available within the next few days and I plan on importing more in future.
I'll be able to have it delivered overnight to anywhere in SA.

I've ordered natural (white) and black this time round.
Drop me a line if you're interested, it will work out cheaper (and obviously much quicker) than buying it yourself from overseas.
Theo Exall
November 15, 2010 12:27AM
Hey guys

Check out this link for plastic welding rods / filament.

http://www.plastiweld.co.za/products.html
January 17, 2011 12:00PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm in Durban, but there are so few of us it hardly seems worthwhile to split the country into groups.

Have just started printing with a Mendel built from a full kit sourced from Mendelparts.com. Interesting four days to say the least as it was my first experience with the anarchy of open source. I don't have any complaints and the kit went together well.

I've run it for a few days using the Repsnapper, but today used Skeinforge for the first time to generate the G code. Gave better results right away.

I've fitted heating to the bed using a Zenith controller and two elements scrounged from a 34W hair straightener. Also insulated the bottom of the bed with a sheet of Urea formaldehyde and fibreglass composite. It give a fairly even temperature and eliminated warping in the test components I have been running.

We manufacture spearfishing equipment and have been fast prototyping new component designs for a while using outside facilities. Initially we get models made using Plaster of Paris, which is fairly cheap, and then move on to either SLS or printed parts. The cost has made us delay prototyping until close to the end of the design process. The idea is that the low cost of Reprap parts will allow us to run a lot more prototypes earlier.
March 26, 2011 01:35PM
The Mendel has proved to be everything we hoped and more. In the past nine weeks we have used it as part of the design process for three different components.

A small problem on a new trigger was solved by five cycles of design - model - print that took only seven days. The final trigger and safety that were printed in ABS were strong enough to use in a loaded speargun. This would have taken 4 - 5 weeks before and we would probably only commisioned one print from an outside agency at a cost of around R2000.

We've gone ahead and started on a new injection mould for a knife handle on the basis of a printed sample of the design.

We are now in the middle of integrating a reel bracket into our existing speargun handle - each mod is printed and tried.

Apart from design prototyping we have printed several usable items:

A shroud to stop spray running down into our boat console through the hole the throttle cables run.

Some pulleys for a friend who is making a CNC router.

A cap for my LED headlamp to replace the original that was lost. This included the 1mm lugs to lock it in place on the headlamp - 15 minutes to draw and 20 minutes to print while drinking a glass of wine after work!

A small nozzle so you can blow up a balloon with your nose. (only spearfisherman would understand. It is to exercise yourself in equalising your ears as when diving.)

I've also printed a few other items from the Thingiverse site.

The only thing that is limiting me at the moment is my ability in 3d modelling, but you have no idea the motivation to learn when you can convert the model and print it out as a usable object.

The setup at the moment is a Mendelparts kit, but with the extruder, X carriage and Y components replaced with parts printed out of ABS. The original parts could not handle the heat of the bed.

I've replaced the PEEK block on the extruder with a similar piece made from Urea Formaldehyde resin and fibreglass composite. The PEEK softened when hot and the new part can handle the flame of an Oxy Acetylene torch. I machined a new hotend that is threaded into the block.

The Software i'm using is Skeinforge 39 to convert to G Code and Repsnapper to run the printer.

Before processing the STL files in Skeinforge I use Nettfab Studio ( www.netfabb.com ) to rotate them into the correct orientation and move them to the origin.

The only changes I made to the original Mendelparts firmware on the printer board was to get the baud rate in line with my laptop.

We've ordered some 1.7mm ABS filament to use for things that need better resolution. That will also require an new hotend. At the moment we are using ABS filament bought from Brad.

My feeling at the moment is that within a year a 3d printer will be part of our production process, putting out small runs of parts that don't warrant the cost of an injection mould.
April 07, 2011 08:29AM
Hi
Would any one mind if I have a look at there PerRap. I also live in Bellville.
Or if you would like to build one with me.
Stephan
tsesterhuizen@hotmail.com
I would be keen to look at helping ..let me now more specifics and details
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login