Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a RepRap in ZA

Posted by Mike Davis 
Re: Building a RepRap in ZA
June 02, 2012 07:20AM
Hi, here is the URL for the 70deg mouldable plastic.

[www.interfix.co.za]

They have quoted me a bulk price of R200/kg incl with a R35 delivery charge for orders under
R1000-00.
Pity it only comes in pellet form, but great stuff to work with, I have fixed many things around the house
and even made a new electrical drill "brush holder" screw-in plug.

Ask for Joanne Nicholl
011 706 5209
***joanne#interfix.co.za***
Hi Danie here, I would like some advice and help with building a reprap or at least to team up with any fellow reprappers. I like the whole idea of reprap in a sence of a comunity sharring freely their knowledge and skills. I own a foundry and can mould and cast your printed parts in metal for a swop of the things I need to build a reprap. Curently I have the T-rods, all nuts and bolts, a aduono mega processor and lots of enthusiasm, can anyone help me with a shield for the arduono, stepper motors and drivers, the printed parts and all else. I am good at the mechanics but very poor on the electronics side. Something I think could look cool is if I cast all the printed parts in aluminium. Maybe somebody can print me a set and I could make a silicone rubber mould and make a set for each of us in metal in return. Looking forward to hearing from you!
August 13, 2012 07:25AM
hi
Anybody willing to print the parts for my reprap? i'm willing to pay...
I'm in potchefstroom
October 01, 2012 02:10PM
Hi all.
I am brand new to 3D printing.
I am very keen in starting out and am thinking of building a Prusa Mendel Iteration 2.
Is there someone that can printer me a good set of parts?
I am willing you pay for them.
Thank you.
October 23, 2012 09:58AM
Hi everyone,

I can print parts but I am a little backed up at the moment so I won't be able to help out right now. Will post again when I have some free time.

I wanted to mention our website where you can finally buy RepRap parts locally. openhardware.co.za
October 23, 2012 10:52AM
> Hi everyone,
>
> I can print parts but I am a little backed up at
> the moment so I won't be able to help out right
> now. Will post again when I have some free time.
>
> I wanted to mention our website where you can
> finally buy RepRap parts locally.
> openhardware.co.za

Hope you guys can offer better services than the reports Ive been getting from some of our clients that have purchased materials from you.

PS. We are now able to supply materials from R350/kg. Very high quality 3mm and 1.75mm ABS and PLA.
Will also be getting water soluble PVA soon.

www.3d-printer.co.za

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 10:54AM by FuzzyDuck.
January 17, 2013 10:45AM
Hi Guys,
Do you know where I can get the parts for RepRao or any other 3D printer. I am really looking for the extruded and the part that feeds the extruded. Has anyone in SA been able to make PC board and software or do I import one in and use the free software on the net.
I would appreciate your help.
Thanks
January 18, 2013 01:40AM
HI Mac
Did anyone come back to you concerning the printed parts. Also want to build my own 3D printer and looking for the parts .

Thanks
Kdw
March 05, 2013 04:52PM
Hi SA Peeps.

Our small company is currently building our first reprap prototype.
We are able to print you parts and assist with your construction.
Feel free to email me at k e n n e t h @ f m p .z a .net (remove spaces)

Regards

KDW
Filament in South Africa
April 06, 2013 06:53AM
Hi fellow 3D printers!
You can order 3mm ABS white filament from me, at R150.00 per kg plus shipping cost.
I am using it on my Rapman.
Contact me on hans@fouchechocolates.co.za
Hans Fouche
April 06, 2013 07:02AM
Hi
I can supply 3mm ABS white Filament at at R150.00 plus shipping.
hans@fouchechocolates.co.za
Hans Fouche
April 17, 2013 08:59AM
I have my Delta up and running - anyone else in Cape Town area with a Delta?

or anywhere in za?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 05:39AM by Xabbax.
April 18, 2013 02:49AM
Hey Guys,

We've launched a new web store.
www.fabric8.co.za

Still a work in progress, adding new products daily.
We have high quality ABS and PLA, 1.75mm and 3mm in bucketloads of colours available @ R300/Kg incl VAT.

We will also be making available to purchase 3D printed parts for kit printers as well as similar 3D printing parts and services like those you will find on ShapeWays. We will allow users to market their own services on the site later and have them for sale on the site.
September 23, 2013 06:11PM
Since this seems to have become a supplier link thread, I may aswell put mine in smiling smiley

We recently started DIYElectronics.co.za. We have some printers and are able to print printer parts for anyone that needs grinning smiley we also stock a bunch of hard to find parts like Hotends, Stepper motors, Belts & Pulleys, Electronics etc. etc. Come give use a shout smiling smiley

DIYElectronics.
January 29, 2014 08:00AM
Hi Guys,
I'm on the cusp of ordering parts for a Prusa i3 build. I'm in Cape Town, and will be building the system over the next three months. I'd be very interested in meeting fellow reprappers around here and will probably need some help and advice.
If anyone is interested in a meetup some time, let me know (I might even by you a beer winking smiley
March 18, 2014 06:17PM
Hi fellow SA RepRappers!

I am new to the world of reprap and starting out on a build of my own. I will be documenting the build and my developments on my blog. Please check it out. I plan to start posting regularly.

Kind regards
Matt
April 28, 2015 11:38AM
Just finished my P3Steel build. I have got a lathe and that helped a lot. I could turn my own hotend.
Got all my stuff locally and from DIY Electronics and Communica in Woodstock.

Nice to see their are people in Cape Town.

Riaan
April 28, 2015 01:44PM
Hi Murray
Please let me have some information on larger stepper motors you may let go and what items you are looking for in return
Something that would handle a small CNC machine or Router would do
Many Thanks
John Powell
April 08, 2016 04:15AM
Hi All

I am also in Cape Town. I am interested in building a Prusa i3 from kit but I am concerned about the print quality. I have seen Ultimaker 2+ and Zortrax M200 prints and those were amazing. I am not expecting for all to work from the start and see the tweaking as part of the process.

The kits I am looking at is from: Here

It would be great if I can get in contact with a Prusa user or a 3D Printers group in Cape Town to meet and join in the fun.
April 08, 2016 04:34AM
Hi Skillet
I have built a Prusa i3 from a kit and been involved in a second one and rebuilt mine and taking it further as well
Also a little Hurricane from NetRam here in Cape Town
If you haven't already done so I suggest you visit Netram behind Century City and speak to anyone there (Tell them I referred you - John Powell)
I am currently very tight for time myself but in due course like to join any groups that meet
Good Luck
April 10, 2016 07:18AM
Hi and welcome.

First decide on what you will be printing the most. ABS(hot) or PLA(colder). I think you should build the kit to suite your needs. If printing more ABS you will for sure need an enclosure to get better prints. For PLA again colder room temp will be better. And so does the hot ends then also play a role.
My machine is setup for ABS and i struggle with PLA so i now want to build a delta machine for that.

The one refer to is a good starting point if you want to start with 3d printing. You will want to do some upgrades later. But for learning the basics its fine. I will however not put the perspex frame in an enclosure. Thats why i went for the P3steel. I had the frame laser cut locally in Paarl and bought most components local. I made a copy of the E3D hot end and works great for ABS. That's if you have access to a lathe.

You will find all sorts of stepping stones along the way. But that only makes it nicer and sometimes just"urgggggg".

So there are local help if you need.

Riaan
April 16, 2016 06:13AM
JohnPowell
Hi Skillet
I have built a Prusa i3 from a kit and been involved in a second one and rebuilt mine and taking it further as well
Also a little Hurricane from NetRam here in Cape Town
If you haven't already done so I suggest you visit Netram behind Century City and speak to anyone there (Tell them I referred you - John Powell)
I am currently very tight for time myself but in due course like to join any groups that meet
Good Luck

Hi John

Thank you for the advice. NetRam ended up being right opposite the street from my office. I have visited them and it was truly inspiring.
I am so badly bitten by this now that I am at the verge of actually going all the way and do a build from scratch and not just a DIY Kit.

I like the iTopie's design and I am sure it should not be hard to get a MDF frame cut if I am done with my drawings. Would like to remake it to be able to carry a 300x300 heat-bed.

I am currently trying to figure out OpenScad as well as sourcing unused stepper motors/decommissioned copiers to try and lower the cost of the build. I would rather invest extra in my linear axis.

Let me know if you come across meet-up groups here.

Cheers
April 16, 2016 06:25AM
RiaanLR
Hi and welcome.

First decide on what you will be printing the most. ABS(hot) or PLA(colder). I think you should build the kit to suite your needs. If printing more ABS you will for sure need an enclosure to get better prints. For PLA again colder room temp will be better. And so does the hot ends then also play a role.
My machine is setup for ABS and i struggle with PLA so i now want to build a delta machine for that.

The one refer to is a good starting point if you want to start with 3d printing. You will want to do some upgrades later. But for learning the basics its fine. I will however not put the perspex frame in an enclosure. Thats why i went for the P3steel. I had the frame laser cut locally in Paarl and bought most components local. I made a copy of the E3D hot end and works great for ABS. That's if you have access to a lathe.

You will find all sorts of stepping stones along the way. But that only makes it nicer and sometimes just"urgggggg".

So there are local help if you need.

Riaan

Hi Riaan

Good to see there are other Capetonians on the forum as well.

I would ultimately like to be able to print with anything from the get-go. I mentioned my interest in the iTopie above, and mostly for the reason that I have no idea what CNC guy's will charge to cut it from aluminium or steel? Also, no access to a lathe since moving to Cape Town.

I wondered about a loose removable cover to drop over the machine when printing higher temp materials. Maybe something light like 6mm MDF with a perspex window.

I guess I am now more interested in the build than the actual idea of owning a 3D printer.

Jacques
April 18, 2016 12:23PM
Hi Skillet
Glad you saw the Netram guys
They are a good team and very helpful
Whilst I am not holding my breath they have talked about having get-togethers which would be good for everyone including their sales
Enjoy your build, its a lot of fun no matter which route you go (well mostly)
There is a lot of help out there (on the internet)
Good Luck
April 26, 2016 05:43AM
Hi all
I am also here in RSA.
i am busy building myself a hybrid cnc/3d printer, [www.instructables.com], like this one.

i am having some problems with the axis controls through repetier, if i move the y axis forward then it moves, when i select y axis back it moves the z axis?

i am using a arduino mega 2560 r3 with a ramps 1.4 to control DQ542ma to run nema 23 motors,
i have disabled all end stops.

any help

thanks
Melvin
April 27, 2016 01:12AM
Problem resolved, turns out i needed to add the enable wire from the ramps 1.4 to the DQ542ma"s aswell as enable the the enable xyz in config h.
May 15, 2016 06:11PM
Skillet

You will also find you never stop building. Always trying new things and wanting better prints.
A drop over box will work just fine. I started with a cardboard box and a plastic window taped into it for a start. Just as long as you can get going.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login