Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprapping in Brisbane!

Posted by arjen 
Reprapping in Brisbane!
March 26, 2008 07:26PM
Hi everybody,

We're a gang of people who will shortly endeavour on building a RepRap, with the aim of exploring everything! This will involve frequent meetings, learning about the different aspects that may be outside individuals' expertise (electronics/microcontrollers, chemistry), and so on.

Everybody is chipping in with a few dollars to participate and keep things going (just for materials and such), the startup gang has committed to contributing a bit more to get the first RepRap built. It is going to be built in my downstairs area which has sufficient space for RepRap and meetings. I'm based in Kenmore (Western suburb).

We also aim to provide the reprap components for building other repraps in Brisbane, and get more local groups going that way. We feel it's very important to use RepRapped components (i.e. self-replicated) rather than continuing to use seedlings. There are also plans for involvement with schools and other educational facilities, as the possibilities are fantastic.

If you would like to be involved somehow, or just be kept informed, please do respond here or send me a private email [a r j e n (at) l e n t z (dot) c o m (dot) a u]. In particular, if you have solid experience with chemistry, or are an ace using the Art of Illusion software and willing to teach others, we'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,
Arjen.

--
RepRapping in Brisbane, QLD, Australia
See [groups.google.com] for info.
Re: Reprapping in Brisbane!
March 26, 2008 08:54PM
I don't have much time to be hands-on at the moment with this (plus I am on the Gold Coast - not Brisbane), but I will certainly chip in some money to a very worthy project (with a view to getting involved later on).

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 08:54PM by spidie.
March 29, 2008 01:28AM
Hi,

I'm in Toowong.

My day job is a firmware engineer with CSIRO, I do electronics in my spare time and all my computers run linux, so I have plenty to lend to the project smiling smiley

I've already started collecting parts, namely a bunch of threaded rod and an arduino.

Keep me posted smiling smiley
April 09, 2008 07:44AM
Hi Arjen,

I live in Mackay but am very interested in your progress. I have had 3 years experience as a mechanical draftsman (only 2D design though) plus a trade background in Metal Fabrication. I might not be much use to you up here but would appreciate if you kept me informed of your progress. Today is the first day I heard of the Reprap and makes me want to learn 3D designing. My email address is daniel(dot)brownsey(at)vae(dot)com(dot)au

Cheers,

Daniel
April 18, 2008 03:46AM
Put me on the definitely interested list. It might even motivate me to get off my bum and finish my McWire mill. grinning smiley

- James
Anonymous User
April 30, 2008 05:51AM
Hi Arjen,

Count me in, i live on GC but will make the trip for the regular meetings as im very excited about where this project might go.

Do you have meeting times worked out as yet, also how much initial $ are you looking for from the original members? i would like to be considered for this privilege.

Daniel.
Anonymous User
May 08, 2008 06:50AM
Has anyone got any info on where this is?

Dan
May 08, 2008 07:33AM
Hi,

We'll get started soon. Was aiming for now-ish, but Vik is still sorting out some design things on the RepRap, like the steppers. If we order a kit now, we'd have to change it again very soon.
June 05, 2008 06:16PM
Hi,

Please join [groups.google.com]
We're aiming to have a meeting next week!

Cheers,
Arjen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 06:17PM by Arjen Lentz.

--
RepRapping in Brisbane, QLD, Australia
See [groups.google.com] for info.
July 29, 2009 09:24PM
Hi all my name is Eddy, i'm from Melbourne, and very interested in the Reprap. Mine and a friend of mines fledgling companies are collaborating to build our own Reprap machine. Our backgrounds are an Industrial Designer with good Mechanical Design background, and an Embedded Engineer. I think it would be handy to stay it touch, and have a interstate Reprap friendship to nut out problems, and work on solutions. Our progress so far; We have access to all mechanical and electronic components i.e arduino, stepper motors, e.t.c., but we are having trouble finding someone to print our parts like the corner brackets, motor brackets and so on . Arjen if you guys have built your machine already, as i see the last dated post was in 2008. It would be great if your machine could print our parts. And if your group needs some assistance we would be happy to help in anyway we can.

You can contact me on apache-ninja@hotmail.com

Thanks again
Re: Forum for RepRap group in Brisbane, Australia
November 19, 2009 09:39PM
Hi Arjen and gang.

Like dtmoi I too reside on the Gold Coast. I would like to help and contribute to the Brisbane group.

Cheers TG
January 06, 2010 04:02AM
To the gang,

I live on the sunshine coast and am currently working os, but I really interested in this project. I will be returning to SC in Feb and will have a bit of time on my hands. If I can help out please let me know. I don't have a great deal of knowledge or skills to provide but will assist where I can.

Cheers
January 27, 2010 10:13PM
Hi i manufacture 3mm abs and other plastic rod in 300mtr spools where do people using reprap machines currently source this material?

Regerds Darren
January 30, 2010 07:22AM
I sourced mine from NZ, as the prices in australia ( the suppliers I found ) were ridiculous, and even after paying the exchange rate, and the shipping, and the import duties it was still cheaper from NZ. I'd also suggest makerbot as a good supplier.
February 08, 2010 12:51AM
darenp said
Hi i manufacture 3mm abs and other plastic rod in 300mtr spools where do people using reprap machines currently source this material?

My reply
How much do you charge darenp?
I/work is looking for anyone that has a makerbot in Brisbane, that would be willing to let me come around and have a look at.
As I understand makerbot and the reprap machine are essentially the same, so can anyone help me out?
Re: Anyone own a reprap, or makerbot in Brisbane?
July 16, 2010 10:42PM
Matt: Hackerspace Brisbane (HSBNE) currently have a not-quite functional Darwin (broken extruder) and a not-quite calibrated Mendel (Alignment issues). FWIW, I'm sure someone like Buzz from the Hackspace would be happy to show you the stuff they have currently and what's happening, if you're interested in reprap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login