Please join for info/updates!
[groups.google.com]

--
RepRapping in Brisbane, QLD, Australia
See [groups.google.com] for info.
Re: RepRap Brisbane (Google Group)
August 25, 2010 05:07AM
Hi,
Is there any groups still going in Brisbane?
I live in Toowoomba Queensland.

Regards,
Robotc
Toowoomba
Hi, Do you have a RepRap?

I'm not an engineer but a digital sculptor (zbrush), keen to get designs prototyped from time to time

It would be great if I could hook up with someone who has a domestic 3d printer or wants to build one to share costs etc.

I live in Brisbane (Northside) and often go to Toowoomba as my folks are there

Cheers
John
August 06, 2011 09:25AM
Hi! Just introducing myself to the group.

I have just started building a Mendel Prusa - well, to be precise, I have just ordered most of the parts from a variety of sources in Australia and overseas - all I have actually fabricated so far (August 2011) is the threaded rods and the smooth round bars, while I wait for the other bits to arrive.

I am posting a photographic record of the build here:

[www.dropbox.com]

I reckon it will probably take me a couple of months to get the build completed in my spare time. Hoping to make contact with some other Brisbane-based RepRapers for a bit of mutual support and motivation!
August 06, 2011 05:51PM
Bris RepRap work is now concentrated at HSBNE - Brisbane HackerSpace.
That's also where the original Darwin resides that I was working on earlier, although it's been decomissioned in favour of Mendels and other developments.
See [hsbne.org] for details on meetings and activities.
August 19, 2011 11:11PM
Update:
I have decided to create a blog to record the progress of my build, rather than just relying on some photos. I will record my trials and tribulations (as well as solutions!smiling smiley) for the benefits of others who may want to try their hand at building a Prusa RepRap.

See the blog here if you are interested: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
Hi Julian, i live in donnybrook just near caboolture. I am looking at buying a kit, is that what you did or rather it sounds like you got a shopping list and went shopping online.... I would really like to know how you went sourcing all parts ie any trouble with certain suppliers etc. how much did it cost you in the end. any info you could spare the time to share would be great. thanks.
simon
September 29, 2011 07:51PM
Simon,

The short answer to your question is that yes, I bought a kit on eBay for most of the parts (plastic and "vitamins"), but I have self-sourced other components like the threaded road and round bar, stepper motors, electronics, hot end, etc.

I am not sure that all of my decisions have necessarily been good ones, but learning as you go is half the fun, isn't it? For example, I bought plain steel round rod, rather than stainless / chrome rod, and I won't know whether that has an impact or not until I fire it up - which should be in the next few days, as long as my electronics doesn't go "poof" in a cloud of blue smoke when I connect everything for the first time tonight!

The whole story of my build is on my blog: [julianh72.blogspot.com]

I have met another local RepRap builder who is at pretty much at same stage of his build (if not a bit more advanced), and he lives even closer to you than me: Michael at Bodgy Corp: [blog.bodgycorp.com]
He organised a "group buy" of some PLA filament for some local RepRappers: [forums.reprap.org] so is probably worth getting in touch with as well.

My biggest single problem was that my locally-sourced M8 threaded rod wouldn't fit the M8 nuts that came with my kit (which came from the USA), so I had to buy some M8 nuts as well - not a huge issue, but a nuisance nevertheless. I never did get to the bottom of this, and Michael bought a similar kit to me, but his rods and nuts fitted fine - go figure?! My other "roadblock" was that my first attempt at building my own RAMPS board was a "fail" - but that was due to my own poor soldering skills, so I can't really blame anyone else for that!

Good luck with your build - let me know if you would like any more information - I will try to help, as long as you can accept that I am a "babe in the woods" as well!

Cheers!

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
March 13, 2012 09:03PM
Hey Robotc,
I live just outside Toowoomba in Gowrie Junction and noticed your post.
Have you built your RepRap yet?
I am pretty keen to build one of these and have learnt over the years that you can't beat learning from someone who has experience.
I know this will be a learning curve but that is half the fun. Otherwise we would just buy one assembled.
Anyway love to hear from you. I haven't found anyone else yet from our area and it would be great to compare notes and experiences. ( I'm really out to steal your knowledge! )

Good decisions come from knowledge, knowledge comes from bad decisions,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login