Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Time building a RepRap.

Posted by Jo1212 
First Time building a RepRap.
July 14, 2013 04:54AM
Hey All RepRapers!

I an wondering what it THE CHEAPEST 3D Printer (RepRap) to build??
I would like a fail big build space(about 6 inch and up) and actually usable.

Any Help Please!
Jo1212
Re: First Time building a RepRap.
July 15, 2013 07:26AM
If you are a thrifty kind of person then you can build a prusa i2 pretty cheaply. just need to know where to find the parts, like if you have the space and transportation you could buy old office photocopiers on gumtree for about $5 and tear them down to get lots of useful parts.
July 16, 2013 04:21PM
Hi there,
Yes, I was thinking Prusa i2. About $399.90 without printed parts. I found this out last night after a lot of looking around.
I wish tree were How-Tos on getting the 'right parts' out. smiling smiley
Now I just (kind of) need some printed parts.

Jo1212
July 16, 2013 09:49PM
HI..

The prusa i2 is old school, for a few extra dollars you can build a prusa i3 box frame version.

[www.flickr.com]
[78.47.92.212]

I have both version on the i3 and find is one of the best printer I have owned and used (I have 7 printers)

A set of i3 printed parts will cost you about $50.00, 12mm plywood and few dollars from bunning, hardware and threaded rod from bunnings but you would find getting it from a bolt shop cheaper, smooth rod from a stainless steal place.. Motor from [www.aliexpress.com] (I have brought 4 set and find them great value.
for control system I use Sanguinololu 1.3a from [www.emakershop.com] this is a basic but cheap controller.
A hotend can be got from [www.extrude3d.com] I have 3 of these and they work very very well, plus he is in Australia.

I'm not saying this is the best way to go but before you join in do heaps of reading and research 3d printing, it can take time to build and even longer to get the printer printing good prints but for me the journey has been well worth it.

Also you can join the reprap irc channel while you will find a heap of help.

Hope this helps
Auzze
July 16, 2013 11:51PM
Hey Auzze,

What's the overall cost for the box frame model? How about the size of print area compared to i2?

Thanks,
Jo1212

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 04:02AM by Jo1212.
July 17, 2013 04:02AM
Hi..

I built my boxf rame i3 for about $550.00.
Print size is 200x215x200mm you can make this bigger by making all the rods longer for each axis but you will to use M10 smooth rods

if you shop around you could get it under that price.

Not having built an i2 but I 6 other printers of different types and sizes, the i3 gives IMOH the best quailty of prints.

Auzze
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login