Advanced

where to get parts for spreadsheet use.

Posted by psytron 
where to get parts for spreadsheet use.
January 01, 2010 08:38PM
Hi there,
I am requesting any parts suppliers contributions
from those kind enough to share, Eventual aim is to add
an aus section to the spreadsheet on the wiki.

Main focus is some of the more hard to find stuff
as most of us even in regional areas should be able
to find nuts, threaded rod etc.

Just reply below or PM.

thankyou.
Re: where to get parts for spreadsheet use.
January 01, 2010 09:29PM
Posted by: Daniel

www.compws.com.au plastic 3mm for extruder abs,hdpe but alas no pla(that i could see).
January 01, 2010 09:39PM
Original poster unsure - Triffid_Hunter

[ausxmods.com.au] - bipolar stepper motors cheapest i have seen in Oz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 04:37PM by psytron.
January 02, 2010 04:46AM
[ausxmods.com.au] for steppers (psytron, was probably me)

[smallparts.com.au] for bearings, and possibly other fasteners

I got my threaded rod from [fastenersales.com.au] and most of my nuts and bolts from [boltbarn.com.au]

[futurlec.com.au] has some of the discrete electronics, I got my MAX6675 from them as well as some opto interruption sensors
January 04, 2010 04:46PM
Thanks Triffid_hunter - Credit given that is by far the best prices for steppers in aus i have seen. Pity they are only bipolar my linisteppers would love some beefier motors to run smiling smiley

Do you know if the belts from smallparts.com.au are suitable for reprap use??
iirc they have only the one type of belt just different lengths of it. When it comes to belts i am still learning lotssmiling smiley
January 04, 2010 05:17PM
625 bearings for mendel

$1.90Au for 50+ [www.smallparts.com.au] - Rubber seals better for dirty environment

$1.13Au for 50+ [www.smallparts.com.au] - Steel seals will allow dirt in

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 05:34PM by psytron.
January 05, 2010 06:27PM
psytron: the belts available from smallparts' teeth are too big, and won't work on small radius cogs. I've checked them all out, and ended up getting ball chain instead from my local hardware store.
March 28, 2010 06:18AM
Note that the Suppliers/Stepper Motors and Printing Material Suppliers pages on the wiki are always waiting to be updated with decent supplier details, no matter which country. I've added AusXMods to the stepper page already, and filled in the details I could find.

Noticed that AusXMod has some belts in now, with various teeth sizes. No idea if they'd be of any use or not.

Also, Triffid: Which threaded rod did you get from fastenersales.com.au ?? A metre of M8 grade 304 is like just over $7, while a metre of grade 316 is like 7 CENTS.

At 7 cents a metre, even for 20 rods, the shipping is still more expensive than the rod!

--
Cef
March 28, 2010 10:58PM
those rods for 7c are an error that they haven't fixed for a few years now.. not sure what's going on there

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
March 29, 2010 10:55PM
Has anyone used the motors from AusXMod yet in a working Mendel? I've bought some, but as I have no working Mendel, I'd like to update the wiki page to reflect if they've been used successfully.

--
Cef
Timing belt at 2.5mm Pitch, 6mm wide
April 01, 2010 01:41AM
Hi

Got fed up paying $35 per Meter unit price for timing belt from Melbourne.

Bought 100M from China. Happy to share at 5 Australian dollas per Meter + postage and packaging at whatever Australian mail charge.

Alternatively can meet up in Brisbane CBD on most week days at lunch time.

Timing belt has a pitch of 2.5mm and is 6mm wide. Which is the same spec as the bit from bytes V2 kit.

I have metal pulleys / cogs on order but the perspex ones seem to work fine on my reprap.

regards

Stephen
August 06, 2010 01:07AM
Someone mentioned elsewhere that they couldn't find any 8mm Stainless Steel bar here in Aus...

Was looking for something else and came across this:

8mm Stainless Steel bar

May not be the cheapest, but it's a start.

Note: They're in NSW, but ship Aus wide.
August 06, 2010 02:36AM
Thanks Cefiar for the info.

I use the following

www.interlloy.com.au
- Australia wide
- Very helpful and very cheap. But only open from 9am-3pm in brisbane
- Take your steel cap boots if you have them and try to use cash as they charge extra for credit cards

and

georgeweston
Apple Aluminium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 02:40AM by stephen george.
August 06, 2010 03:59AM
I originally looked at Interlloy but couldn't see anything for sure on their website about purchasing (ie: over the counter or web). They have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Mackay and Albury though, so they're definitely good on the location front.

I also found another place in Cairns called Sharplift that sell 5/16" steel bar (7.97mm, close enuff for Mendel), but I have no idea on costs.

Yeah, any place that sells trade over the counter, you most likely want to look the part, and know the terminology so you can walk in and be treated with respect. Even a safety vest is enough in most cases to look the part.
August 06, 2010 07:46AM
Cefiar said
>Yeah, any place that sells trade over the counter, you most likely want to look the part, and know the terminology so you can walk in and be treated with respect. Even a safety vest is enough in most cases to look the part.

Agreed. I made sure I knew exactly what metal I was getting. which was 1214 grade Bright Mild Steel which I can put in my lathe.
The steel I bought was about $2 per kg from the off cuts section and about the same from the 3M lengths.

They sell 7.97mm rods as well in 3m lengths which they cut down into 3x1m lengths so I could put them in my car.
In Brisbane it's all over the counter.

The only bind is that their minimum order is $50. However Easilly the cheapest metal I have sourced so far.

Stephen
I've had dealings with Bits of Steel Supplies at Geebung. Very very cheap even compared with bunnings. They cut up to lengths small enough to fit in the car and the young guy Richard even helped me carry the stuff to the car.

For acrylic, hit up Cut to Size Plastics at Rocklea, they have lots of offcuts you can walk in and pick up and are happy to supply small quantities of stuff. My wife went in to pick up an order for me and they were female friendly.
August 11, 2010 06:53PM
Hi Ashley Cobb

Do you have a web address or postal address for these suppliers. Google is sending me to the UK suppliers.

Thanks

Stephen
August 12, 2010 02:45AM
[www.google.com]
[www.google.com]

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
August 12, 2010 06:27PM
Thanks Triffid_Hunter

Stephen
November 10, 2010 10:48PM
just got my rods from All Things Stainless. Arrived quickly and well packaged (duct taped to a bit of wood with heaps of bubble wrap). One was missing, but they sent out another one immediately at no extra charge as soon as I contacted them about it- mistakes happen, and they were totally professional about it. I Recommend.

Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
December 22, 2010 11:34PM
Hi All,
Just got my second part from Stephen George.
100% service. Strong recommend.
Happy Holidays all.
Steve
G'day Steven
Do you have any belt left. I am after 7 meteres if you do.

Thanks
Michael Turner
Re: Timing belt at 2.5mm Pitch, 6mm wide
January 23, 2011 06:07PM
Hi michael

Yes I do have 7M of the T2.5. Send me your address and I will work out postage etc.

stephengeorge74 at hotmail . com

regards

Stephen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login