Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Washington, Seattle RUG

Posted by jackwilliambell 
Washington, Seattle RUG
June 05, 2008 09:21PM
Hi,

I'm Jack William Bell

I live and work in Bellevue Washington (near Seattle). I am an embedded systems programmer working with cell phones, media players, and other small devices which require relatively complex user interfaces. My email address is jackb {at sign here} sff {dot here} net.

I just bought the complete electronics kit for a RepRap and am looking for others in my local area who would like to co-operate in bootstrapping ourselves into the future of home manufacturing.

Would you please create a forum for Seattle Washington?

Thanks,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 11:23PM by jackwilliambell.
Re: Washington, Seattle RUG
June 08, 2008 02:56PM
Jack,

I've created a forum here:
[forums.reprap.org]

There seems to be a lot of local people you may want to reach out to:
[dorkbot.org]

The local media arts center does some physical computing stuff.
[www.911media.org]

And there's a local Techshop
[www.seattlerobotics.org]

As well as the Seattle Robotics Society
[www.seattlerobotics.org]

Cheers,
Sebastien
Count me in! Ellensburg ain't exactly local, but as the locals say "It's halfway to ANYWHERE!"

All the best, always,
Bill

(Check out my latest work in the July/August, September, and October issues of Analog Science Fiction & Fact)
June 25, 2008 03:06PM
This isn't really helping anyone because nobodys using it, but i'm from Edmonds.
June 25, 2008 06:56PM
No one is using Edmonds? Well, I guess that is true. I haven't used it in years.

mappum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This isn't really helping anyone because nobodys
> using it, but i'm from Edmonds.
June 25, 2008 06:59PM
I am going to start an organizing thread in this forum. Please go there if you are interested in making something happen locally. As soon as I have something scheduled I will also start an events thread.

Jack
July 04, 2008 03:06PM
Hey, I've been involved with RepRap for over a year and my workshop is littered with outdated components. Never thought to start a group though because I hadn't met anyone else from the area on the forums.

I'm actively working on a CNC milling machine/RepStrap combo. It's not much to write home about yet, but I'll try to keep y'all updated. I'm game for any meetups or workshops that anyone is putting together.

RepRap has a larger presence in this area than you would expect - no fewer that three friends or acquaintances of mine have INDEPENDENTLY discovered it and talked to me about it because they found my name on the map on the main page. However, I don't know of anyone else actively working on one right now.
July 05, 2008 06:29PM
Thanks Kyle. I'm sure glad to hear that there is someone around Seattle with some experience, being as I am swinging kind of blind right now. I have the electronics kit, but that's it. So my next step is to get motors, gears, etc. Any suggestions? Maybe I could tap you for leading a workshop for rank beginners?

How far along is your RepStrap? Able to make parts yet? I've been playing with the idea of putting together a RepStrap by building a regular RepRap, but simply holding everything together with duct tape and wire ties until I can print off the brackets. Any reason why that wouldn't work? (I really like the idea of using massive amounts of duct tape...)
Anonymous User
July 08, 2008 01:35AM
Hey guys,

I'm up in Redmond - real close by - I only really know about computers and programming, but I'd really like to get involved in a local effort to get a Darwin working or helping out with some new related project. I have a lot of time to spare, and I'd like to help someone else out with their project before starting anything of my own - anyone nearby willing to let me help out?

Francis
July 09, 2008 04:34PM
jackwilliambell Wrote:
> Thanks Kyle. I'm sure glad to hear that there is
> someone around Seattle with some experience, being
> as I am swinging kind of blind right now. I have
> the electronics kit, but that's it. So my next
> step is to get motors, gears, etc. Any
> suggestions? Maybe I could tap you for leading a
> workshop for rank beginners?
>
> How far along is your RepStrap? Able to make parts
> yet? I've been playing with the idea of putting
> together a RepStrap by building a regular RepRap,
> but simply holding everything together with duct
> tape and wire ties until I can print off the
> brackets. Any reason why that wouldn't work? (I
> really like the idea of using massive amounts of
> duct tape...)

Right now I'm still configuring my milling machine to work properly. EMC2 isn't playing nicely with the proprietary electronics that came with the board, I may just give up and replace them. I have the extruder sitting in a box ready to attach once I get the machine working, but I haven't really started working on anything reprap-specific yet.

I suspect that the duct tape joint idea won't really work - those joints will have absolutely zero torsional resistance, so you're liable to twist out of alignment easily. And if the printhead has even a millimeter of slop relative to the build platform, you won't be able to print anything. Remember that the print layers themselves are less than a millimeter thick each!

If I am able to get my machine working, I would love to print out parts for others in the area and maybe even run a workshop to get people started. However, it seems a bit premature for that just yet, considering I still don't know if I'll be able to get this to work!

If you're looking to get started right away, I would recommend either building a McWire type frame and buying the extruder (cheap, but takes a lot of time and effort) or ordering a kit from BitsFromBytes (expensive, but Ian takes care of a lot of details for you). I was incredibly lucky in that I was able to find a local school with a very nice CNC machine they had gotten on a grant that no one knew how to use, and I persuaded them to let me borrow it indefinitely if I agreed to maintain it grinning smiley
July 17, 2008 01:00AM
Hello All,
I'm out of Sammamish. I am building a RepRap derivative in order to repstrap. I was wondering if you'd all like to meet up, share stories and see if we can cobble together a working repstrapper.

Check out progress at fabr.org.

If interested, ping me on the IRC (ooeygui)
Attachments:
open | download - Fabr.jpg (327 KB)
September 07, 2008 07:52PM
Hello everyone. Ive Been posting mostly in the vancouver BC forum since i live in Blaine but seattle is also very close to me (100 miles or so smiling smiley ) Ive been working on a repstrap project for a while now and have a majority of the parts and lots of junk parts (i work maintenence so get a lot of stuff were throwing away). I would be interested in a meet somewhere if it can be aranged.
Anonymous User
October 08, 2008 04:08AM
Hey all again,

I just got back from abroad, and my Silver Kit from bitsfrombytes.com was waiting for me. Right now I'm trying to get it all assembled - I doubt it will be operational for at least a few weeks, but I'll do what I can. Hopefully, I can get something working well enough to fabricate some pieces for you guys.

If anyone is interested in coming by and helping me get mine all finished, let me know - I'm a programmer by trade and all this physical world stuff is kind of new to me, so any help would be appreciated. I _think_ I have all the pieces I need to make a complete RepRap (cept the plastic to melt, actually) smiling smiley

Francis
October 09, 2008 06:20PM
Wow, it's so exciting to see so many local people involved in RepRap - I just discovered the RepRap project today and I'm suddenly very interested.

Once Seattle gets a working RepRap or two, would anyone be interested in doing commission work for parts prototyping on non-RepRap parts? This is for a hobby project, so I can't really afford professional rapid prototypes, and the community nature of the RepRap project sounds like a good place to start. Or is the current community focus on building more RepRaps for now?
November 24, 2008 09:06PM
Hey all,

So thought I would make my presence known. I got the electronics a few weeks back and have been assembling a few a week as time permits. My goal is to get a working RepStrap and possibly then making a normal reprap. I may also try to make mine do some light machining. My background is in ME so I am glad all the EE stuff is already 'done'. My hope is to use the 80/20 I have for most of the support.

Did a meeting happen after the last SRS meeting?

by the way fcrick did your dad make frogger? If so I know you from when we was kids...
December 01, 2008 05:05AM
Hello all,

I'm looking to build a RepRap but I do not have any of the parts yet.
I wouldn't mind helping someone else out on getting theirs set up first.

I'm in the Fremont/Wallingford area for anyone close by.

I'm fairly handy with troubleshooting/hacking technology and physical objects.
I've set myself up as a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) for the marina I'm in
and have rebuilt most the boat I'm living in as well.
I've also done some 3d design, mostly prototyping things that I'd like to build and really wish I could just print out the part.

I currently have some space limitations (boat is small) but am looking into going in on an
'Active Space' to use for projects and such (especially ones that can help cover the cost of the space).

let me know if you are interested in working together on any RepRap projects.
I'm willing to trade resources or just help out for the experience, etc.

thanks,

Larry James
Wulf Design

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2008 05:06AM by Larry James.
January 04, 2009 04:20PM
hi all!
just introducing myself and my repstrap and checking on everyones progress. hope to attend this months srs meeting and maybe bring a real print. i'm working on getting emc2 setup to run my machine, but so far everything is working better than i hoped (threw that extruder together for nothin' (literally) and ran a handmade cup with dancad/dancam).
i'd love to be able to help the cause, and i have a small machine shop and foundry.
Attachments:
open | download - repstrap.jpg (107.8 KB)
January 07, 2009 12:52AM
cliff Wrote:
> hi all!
> just introducing myself and my repstrap and
> checking on everyones progress. hope to attend
> this months srs meeting and maybe bring a real
> print. i'm working on getting emc2 setup to run
> my machine, but so far everything is working
> better than i hoped (threw that extruder together
> for nothin' (literally) and ran a handmade cup
> with dancad/dancam).
> i'd love to be able to help the cause, and i
> have a small machine shop and foundry.

Hi Cliff

When
January 07, 2009 02:05PM
freds,

srs meetings are on the third sat of every month.

the first iteration of this machine was built almost entirely from old printers and bits scavenged over the years. i've slowly been replacing components with castings.
i'm a big fan of lindsay books and the gingery series in particular. here's my gingery rotary index (converted for nc)(which was used to machine the large gear in the top right of repstrap.jpg (above)(and it's mating spur (not visible))).
Attachments:
open | download - ri.jpg (66.7 KB)
October 26, 2010 02:59AM
hey there hows it goin

im from kirkland and was wondering if some one could help me out starting a machine of my own. i have limited funds but happen to be EXTREMELY resourceful. ive been poking around the reprap community for a while and enjoy the idea of the machines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login