Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

and so it starts....

Posted by KE5AFU 
and so it starts....
October 27, 2008 11:27PM
Well, we now have our own forum, now time to get people here. If you are browsing through and are from the OKC area, (Or even Oklahoma for that matter) go ahead and say hello. I'm looking forward to getting some RepRaps here locally.

- Matthew --KE5AFU
Re: and so it starts....
April 01, 2009 07:55PM
I'm in Oklahoma too. East of Tulsa in Claremore.

Name's Arvin, been fiddling with reprap for a couple of years. Trying to make my own design with little success. Currently working on a diy cnc to put an extruder on. Purchased three rrrf's smc v1.2 and have them hooked to my arduino. Almost working. Motors spin. Just need to finish the cartesian bot. Threaded rod so it will be slow.

[whine] Just can't get motivated. Would help to have somebody local that could share the interest. [/whine] winking smiley

Good luck with your efforts.
May 16, 2009 10:47PM
I live on the east side of OKC I am just starting experiments with the heater barrel. Once I get that working satisfactorily I will move on to the extruder feed.

My interest is primarily in the extruder. I already have a taig CNC mill that I plan on adapting the extruder to.
July 19, 2009 04:11AM
I live in northeastern oklahoma.. I've discovered the trully awesomeness potential of the reprap within the past month. though I hardly have the time, money, or resources.. hopefully that will change in a few more months
September 16, 2009 09:58PM
I have a working homemade CNC machine you can see it on my website www.geeksok.com and I am very interested in building a reprap or a makerbot. I have access to a new laser cutter and would like to share resources and get something built.
September 16, 2009 10:19PM
Troy,

E-mail me at KE5AFU@Gmail.com lets talk about getting one of these units put together.
September 17, 2009 10:53PM
I meant to add I live between Tulsa and OKC so I am able to travel either direction and/or provide a meeting place in between. Sent KE5AFU and e-mail. Anyone else interested in building or do you have one built already?

Troy
September 18, 2009 10:14AM
@Troy Coon: I see you have made two cnc's. Which do you find to be the best? I like the look of the Solsylva. Price seems good too.

Have you built an extruder for either of them? That looks like a good way to repstrap your way to a reprap.

I've tried to make my own cnc off and on for the last 3 or 4 years....to cheap to buy plans so nothing has worked, of course. Would have been cheaper to have forked over the $$$ up front. Now I'm ready to do that.

Also from OK. Claremore, which is east of Tulsa.

Arvin
ps. retired from teaching in 1999 after 26 years.
September 19, 2009 09:42PM
Arvin I like the bigger machine and I have already sold the small one. I have just about all the parts together to build another big machine which has a cutting area of 25x37x6ish I don't think I will ever build it though, so if you are interested I can hook you up with some discount parts and help you do your build. The next CNC mill I am going to build is a small duel lead screw type. I have been kicking around the idea of just putting an plastic extruder on my big machine, but I am also really leaning toward a Makerbot cupcake CNC.

Troy

ps. What did you teach? I am the entire science department at my school.
September 20, 2009 07:59AM
Figure out what you'd take for your parts. I would be interested!

Taught math for the first 16 years. 10 at high school level and 6 at middle school.

Last ten I taught computer literacy and one section of earth sicence at mid school. That was really fun. They didn't know what computer literacy was so I just got to do what ever I wanted. Used art programs, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and did some programming. Most 6th, 7th, and 8th graders are NOT ready to program but a few were. Played games on Friday. All free stuff. Had a ball.

After I retired the guy that took my place just taught typing. Yuck.
October 17, 2009 10:08PM
Hey all,

I live in Rogers, AR (~2 hrs from Tulsa). I've been wanting to get started with the RepRap for the past few months, but the cost (on the order of $1000 for Darwin) and a few constraints (where to get lasercut build platforms, where to get the printed parts, etc...). Now that Mendel is out (costs ~$600), and I discovered the forums (yay!) I went looking for people who have 3D printers in Arkansas. As it turns out, only one person in this state owns a RepRap/RepStrap/3D Printer, and they haven't posted any news since August. So, I went looking, and found this forum. My email is sanctitiesrares@gmail.com, and can anyone who has previous experience with Cartesian robots shoot me an email on tips/tricks and information on building a Caretsian robot?

Sorry if I rambled a bit.
-Adam
October 18, 2009 10:07PM
I just finished robotics competition with my students at the school so now all of our focus will be on building a 3D printer. Think we will start with a Makerbot but I do like the looks of the new Mendel. We will be taking stock of what we have and what we need over the next week or so. I will also be doing some laser cutting. We would be happy to share knowledge and resources. I have a 25x37x6 CNC machine and the school has a 50watt epilog zing.

Arvin I will get those parts ready for you this week.
October 20, 2009 08:15AM
Oh. Don't worry about the parts.

I've finally got my little cnc to move! Yes!

No extruder or mill head on it and still playing with my own version of the software.

Be months yet. It's a hobby after all!
November 01, 2009 01:18AM
Anyone have a machine up and running yet? I'd like to buy parts, or the raw material for the parts, from someone local. I live in Blanchard but work in Norman.
November 07, 2009 12:01AM
I just ordered a cupcake CNC deluxe kit. Hope to have it by December. W00t
I am happy to share my cnc resources or laser cutter.
November 07, 2009 12:17AM
That would be great. It would be a bit of a drive for me if you are between OKC and Tulsa.
November 07, 2009 07:09PM
Troy, will you be selling printed parts for Mendel?
I've been looking around for them, and no-one has replied to my request in the wanted section. I'm willing to cover material cost and a little extra winking smiley.

-Adam
November 07, 2009 11:36PM
Would be great to get a working RepRap together for the local people to be able to come and print parts on! Or someone that would make a parts kit and sell at a descent price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 07:54PM by KrashKing405.
November 09, 2009 09:40PM
One of the very first things I am going to do is make a Reprap Mendel. I will be making parts for other people too. Other than 2 new Lego battery boxes for my RCX's and a new plastic handle for the clothes dryer, it will be all Mendel parts all the time. Not sure how much plastic and time it will take but I am very interested to find out. I think our new cupcake will be shipping on Dec 1st. I have been wanting to learn more about the Arduino, does anyone know of a club or local resource?
November 10, 2009 01:03AM
I don't but let me know.
November 10, 2009 10:03PM
For some resources on the arduino, check out Ladyada's sweet tutorials. Also, the Arduino forum is super helpful.

Another way to look for clubs is to goto hackerspaces.org and click "find a hackerspace". Hackerspaces are a great way to meet people with similar electronic/hobbyist interests as you.

I believe that the parts for Mendel cost ~$20 worth a plastic.
If you factor in labor, it'll cost somewhere from $30-$100 if you're buying parts.

-Adam
November 10, 2009 10:16PM
The closest hackerspace to me is Tulsa, a good 2-3 hour drive.
November 11, 2009 04:33PM
Thanks for the info. I have seen the Tulsa hackerspace website and it has not been updated in a long time. It also seemed like just a bunch of kids wanting to have lan parties. I have a website www.geeksok.com but I have not had a lot of people contact me to get things going. I live between Tulsa and OKC and have a shop so it is a good location for meetings. Me and my buddies usually enjoy an adult beverage and a pizza while we make/break stuff.
February 02, 2010 12:39AM
Interesting,

I'm in the NW OKC region and I know that there is an active robotics club in norman OU doing reprap stuff and there is also a oklahoma robotics club that dabbles as well.

It sounds like we need more communication between RepRap/hackerspace/robotics clubs around the area
February 02, 2010 12:52AM
I agree there, didn't have a CLUE there was a robotics club at OU. Also I've been thinking of starting a hackerspace for the Norman area. Anyone interested?
February 03, 2010 12:08AM
I am willing to join a hackerspace.I also have a lot of resources that I am willing to share. I am ready to get something going, most of the time I feel like I am the only person doing stuff.
February 03, 2010 12:25AM
I agree. About the only thing I have to offer towards a hackserspace is management and a Dell PowerEdge 2500 server.
February 03, 2010 03:58AM
I'm up for a hackerspace as well, I'm in N OKC / Edmond area. Maybe meeting in person would help spur some activity. In regards to contributing, I've got a full size CNC mill, and regular lathe as well as just about any other fabrication tool needed. Sadly, I had to move out of my warehouse, so it's just the garage now, not the best for large groups of people.
February 03, 2010 11:46AM
Sounds good, until we can locate a space to use, garages would be our primary meeting places. winking smiley
February 03, 2010 12:16PM
lets plan a meeting I will bring a CupCake 3D printer so everyone can check it out.Weekends are best for me. I live about 50 miles from OKC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login