Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

and so it starts....

Posted by KE5AFU 
Re: and so it starts....
February 03, 2010 12:30PM
My days off are all over the place. let me get an updated schedule and I'll get back with you.
February 08, 2010 07:13PM
OK looks like I'm off this weekend, but probably have plans on Sat. Off next Sat also.
February 10, 2010 07:39PM
Next sat should be good for me. Who else is in and where would you guys want to meet?

Troy
February 11, 2010 02:00AM
I'm in, next sat works for me. Just to clarify we are talking about the 20th?
Also in addition to determining a place to meet, what should be the focus of this meet?
February 11, 2010 02:03AM
20th sounds good to me, just need a location. I think focus should be getting a hacker space started. Finding a location, what tools/etc people want to share. Who else might we invite.
February 11, 2010 02:44AM
Ok, so from what I can see 3 people have expressed interest so far. I am in Edmond, KrashKing405 is in Norman, and Troycoon is midway between OKC and Tulsa. Quite a triangle there. If anyone else in interested, they should post up. Otherwise I would suggest a meeting perhaps in OKC at a neutral site so all can meet before starting to arrange meets at people's houses.
February 11, 2010 10:33PM
I have invited a few more people from the local MESO club. At least 2 maybe 3 more planning on coming. Anyone know of a coffee shop or something similar to meet at?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 10:58PM by KrashKing405.
Jason
February 12, 2010 04:32PM
I am interested.. Located in Stillwater.
However this isn't that great of a time for me, so maybe the next meet.
February 12, 2010 11:08PM
I would suggest Java Dave's, near downtown OKC. They have a large area for meetings and free WiFi. So are we up to 5-6 people meeting now?
February 13, 2010 10:13AM
I would be interested, I'll second the Oklahoma City area and I'll ask the Norman OU Robotics Club to see if they would be interested. Right now they are building a Mendel from parts for their project this year.

I would also suggest meeting someplace that can handle an unexpected large turnout in case there are people lurking who want to come.
February 13, 2010 01:40PM
troycoon just stirred me up to speak up.

I'm interested.

Live East of Tulsa in Claremore.

Long drive. Make it good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2010 01:48PM by Arvin.
February 15, 2010 11:55PM
We need to solidify on date/time/place and agenda.

If there are no objections...

The first meeting of the Oklahoma RepRap interest group will convene February the 20th, which is a Saturday, at Java Dave's which is located at 10 Northeast 10th Street, Oklahoma City.

We'll meet for at least three hours from 2:00pm - 5:00pm (please note if this time doesn't work).

Agenda:
  • Meet and Greet like minded individuals
  • Identify the needs of the community. Be it time, motivation, or resources.
  • List resources and connect people together who can help each other.
  • Decide what as a group we could accomplish to best meet the needs of our nascent RepRap community.
  • Determine the next meeting time.

The agenda is just a list of things I feel need to happen for me to consider this upcoming meeting successful. Add things you want to see happen.

Also, if you want to bring samples of the things you build, cool pictures of cnc machines you own, repstraps/repraps, or other toys, do show and tell about them!

Cheers!
Lawrence
February 16, 2010 12:06AM
This sounds good to me, I may have a couple others coming with me, and will put out some feelers now that we have an official(?) time and date.
February 16, 2010 12:14AM
Sounds good to me!
February 18, 2010 09:00PM
We have about 6 guys that we know of now from the OU Robotics Club that will be going. Cant wait to meet you all. Also coincidentally, does anyone have a completed cupcake or Mendel? We are trying to get the reprapped parts. We were thinking of maybe machining them, but if someone could make them for us it would greatly be appreciated. We have the plastic to make them, we just need them made.
February 18, 2010 09:18PM
Awesome!
February 18, 2010 10:06PM
I have a cupcake and I'm starting to crank out parts. I also have a mostly completed repstrap, and a CNC machine that I am thinking about putting an extruder on. The parts will distributed as they become ready. Hope to have the first set ready by next weekend. I was not going to bring the cupcake to this meeting since it is at java daves. I could bring it to the next meeting possibly or if the meetings are roaming I could host in my shop.

Troy
February 19, 2010 09:03PM
I'm bringing 3 including myself and Arvin makes 4. someone have the address to Java Dave's so I can put it in my garmin. Oh wait got it. see you guys tomorrow.

troy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 09:04PM by troycoon.
February 20, 2010 03:07PM
I realized sitting here at Java Daves, that we don't have a good way to let people know who is here for the meeting.

So, I have a sign saying Rep Rap and have long hair, wearing a blue tee-shirt.

Hope this helps,

Lawrence
February 20, 2010 07:04PM
I think we had a good meeting today. Than you to everyone that came, and Troy for bringing his Cupcake.
February 20, 2010 08:20PM
I agree. I'm thankful for the discussion and am looking forward to meeting next month.

-We have a plan for solving the tractable problem of building and distributing Mendel parts which fulfills the needs of the community.

-We overcame the distance issue with hacker spaces by creating a community that can ask for specific help with problems and resources.

-We ignited lots of good discussion which should help add value to the community.

If we keep up the community atmosphere, we could seed the Oklahoma area with cheap-ish $500 dollar Mendel kits and get more people the tools they need to expand this community. I would really like to see everyone who came today with a Mendel within the next three months.

On top of that, a group that is doing things, attracts more people which will make the prospects of having vibrant hacker spaces around Oklahoma possible.

If anyone is interested in discussing the pro's and con's of different organizational arrangements, I have lots of input, ideas, and examples.
March 08, 2010 12:22PM
Ok, I have checked with the Edmond Library and they do have an open meeting room this Sat. They charge $10 per hour to use it. I will pay the fee to reserve the room this time if we are still a go.

I am looking at Sat the 13th at ? time.
Does that work or do we need a different date?

Chime in...
March 08, 2010 02:37PM
I'm in but I tink the te should be in morning not the afternoon. Maybe 10:00 until noon ands then we can break for lunch.
March 08, 2010 11:09PM
I'll be able to make it, but I need that time nailed down.
March 08, 2010 11:19PM
Sat 13th I can't make, working, So someone has to take notes for me!
March 09, 2010 12:02AM
I can do that, it would have probably helped last meeting as the day after I couldn't remember half the cool things everyone talked about. There were so many!
March 09, 2010 12:09AM
Would be nice to have someone do the minutes, keep those of us that can't attend up to date.
March 09, 2010 12:33AM
Did we even get a list of all the people who attended the last meeting? I don't think that I had a chance to even talk to everyone.
March 09, 2010 01:02AM
Is 10:00 to 12:00 an agreed time? If so I will make the reservation tomorrow.
I agree on the minutes. The last meeting format didn't allow for the best distribution of information. Hopefully in a bit more controlled environment we will be able to keep more accurate records.
March 09, 2010 01:10AM
I believe we intended to have people sign up on the geeksok website. However I don't think by the volume of traffic on the forums, this was successful.

We can pass around a laptop next time so we can get everyone to input their email address.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login