Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Panic/Estop Button On Host

Posted by emt 
emt
Panic/Estop Button On Host
March 07, 2008 06:47AM
Hi

I would like to see a PC screen button (plus hot key) that stops all movement of axes and extruder no matter what function is currently running (Build, Stepper exerciser, whatever). I believe if servo drives are ever used it could well be essential as they don't stall if you run the extruder into the table.

A quick answer would quite fairly be "Well add one".

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Java. All my programming experience has been using an obscure business database language called TAS and a some very basic PIC programming in "C". I have installed Eclipse (Under Windows) and with Bleriks help I can now compile and run the Host Software. I have made a tiny mod to my Main.java so that the main window displays the version # in use. A manual edit at the moment every time the version changes. I have added a new menu item that currently does nothing that could be the panic stop. I can figure out some of what is happening from reading the existing code. I am guessing the button must send a command string through the coms port to abort all movement.

Does such a command exist in the current protocol?

Any one care to point me in the most appropriate direction (ie which source files should I be looking at) for implementing a suitable Button or step in and tell me due to the programme structure what I would like is hard to achieve without fully understanding Java.

Regards

Ian
Re: Panic/Estop Button On Host
March 08, 2008 05:52AM
Yes - this is a good idea. And it is possible to send a reset signal round the ring to all the controllers.

However, someone who knows what they're talking about can correct me here, but is it the case that industry practice is not to use a soft-stop like that, but to put an honest-to-goodness big red button on the machine that the power goes through?

If so, that might be an even safer solution.
March 08, 2008 07:11AM
industry practice is that a soft stop is a good idea, but cannot replace a big red normally closed button in an easy to reach place connected in a fail-safe manner.

Perhaps have separate buttons for stopping extrusion and lifting the head, and stopping all movement and power.
emt
March 08, 2008 11:44AM
Hi

I have great big Estop button on the machine. It is industry practice and it must open a holding circuit that kills all motors on a machine so if for instance the wire drops off or breaks it fails safe. In fact the latest Estop regulations are quite complex (self testing is involved) and is one of the reasons I no longer retrofit machine tools which until recently was my day job.

Unfortunately the PC is on my desk and the Reprap is some distance away. I started Z down by mistake and could not reach the Estop in time. I don't think I will be the only person in this situation so I think a screen button could be very useful.

Regards

Ian
VDX
March 08, 2008 01:39PM
... on my CNC-mill i have two methods of panic-brake:

First - a hardware-stop-button on the housing of the CNC, which instantly power down the motors and the millhead (if controlled by the CNC) and send a 'panic-stop' condition to the PC.

And second - when pushing the [ESC]-button on the keyboard, the software stops the movement and the mill-spindle, but it opens a dialog box, where i can continue or stop the milling ...

Viktor
March 09, 2008 08:23PM
cool. it seems like the consensus is that 2 levels would be the best: a software 'pause/stop' mode and a hardware button to stop everything.

i like the idea of making the 'esc' key a shortcut in software, as well as a big, red GUI button.
March 10, 2008 06:37AM
OK. Ed's going to redo the control panel soon to make it both more comprehensive and simpler. We'll add the big soft stop button.

As to the hardware one, it's just a question of finding an appropriate switch from Mouser or whoever and adding it to the electronics pages in the power-supply bit.

best wishes

Adrian

[reprap.org]
[reprapltd.com]
March 11, 2008 10:40AM
i use a light switch from any hardware store. it works great, is cheap, and is large... which means its easy to turn off in a hurry =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login