Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap host hangs

Posted by zapman 
Reprap host hangs
October 22, 2011 10:45AM
Hi!

I finished the hardware part of my Prusa Mendel a week ago but from then on I wasn't able to get it to run. I got the same problem that several ppl have reported with the reprap host software but wasn't able to resolve it anyhow.. sad smiley

My system specs:
Win7 64 bit
Java 5 update 22
tested host software: reprap-mendel-20111019 and reprap-mendel-20111002 (COM2 and 115200 baud set in config, according to the Sanguinololu-seller)
Sanguinololu v1.2 (bought here: [:RTQ:GB:1123" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.co.uk] )
Sprinter Firmware
USB serial port COM2: 115200 bits/sec
Green light on Sanguinololu board is lit all the time; no blinking, no matter what I do
fyi: this is my first reprap, so I may be lacking some basic knowledge.

The error message from the host console:
C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem reprap-host -- runs Reprap Java host code with an ap
propriate classpath

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem Amount of RAM to allow Java VM to use

C:\Program Files\Reprap>set REPRAP_RAM_SIZE=1024M

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem reprap.jar file and stl file

C:\Program Files\Reprap>set REPRAP_DIR=C:\Program Files\Reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem Java3D and j3d.org libraries

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem set JAVA_LIBRARY_DIR=C:\Program Files\Reprap

C:\Program Files\Reprap>rem cd so we can find the reprap-wv.stl file.  Can we av
oid this??

C:\Program Files\Reprap>IF NOT EXIST reprap-wv.stl cd "C:\Program Files\Reprap"

C:\Program Files\Reprap>java -cp ".\reprap.jar;.\RXTXcomm.jar;.\j3dcore.jar;.\j3
d-org-java3d-all.jar;.\j3dutils.jar;.\swing-layout-1.0.3.jar;.\vecmath.jar;." -X
mx1024M org/reprap/Main
DEBUG: The distribution preferences file and yours match.  This is good. [0,003s
/-1319293115782ms]
DEBUG: GCode opening port COM2 [0,064s/61ms]
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
comms: G-code: N0 M110 *3 dequeued and sent [4,218s/4154ms]

It's the same thing that others report: the console hangs here if the Sanguinololu is connected to the usb port but starts fine without. What is different to other people is that the com port seems to be set correctly (both win7 and host software are set to COM2 and 115200 baud) but it still won't work.
I tried COM3 and 19200 baud as well, used other USB cables and attached all or no plugs to the Sanguinololu board; ran software with admin rights -> Still the problem remains.

Could you please help me resolve this?
# How should I proceed? My research via google et al didn't do it.
# I wouldn't like to compile the firmware myself, I haven't done that before. That's why I bought this piece of hardware -ready to run- on ebay. Are there still things I should try before messing with the firmware anyways?

Thanks for any help!

-zapman

PS: anyone here from Munich? I would gladly invite you to a cup of coffee and show you the lovely problem child of mine in person.. smiling smiley
Re: Reprap host hangs
October 23, 2011 09:14AM
I just stumbled upon this wiki page on Gcode: [reprap.org]

To me it seems that the host software opens a com-port to the electronics sucessfully, and sends a line of Gcode that says "jumpt to line one". There isn't any reply from the Sanguinololu board (no "start", "ok" or anything) so what does that mean? Is the bootloader damaged/ non existent? Would that result is such a behaviour? Do I have to reflash the firmware? Is there anything else I should try before? How should I proceed to fix this?

People, talk to me please!
Re: Reprap host hangs
October 24, 2011 05:14AM
After getting no help from the forum, I tired the IRC. There are tons of helpful people there and they solved my problem right away: "Don't use reprap host!"

Instead I got directed to Pronterface: [koti.kapsi.fi]

Connection was there right away! Thx Guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login