Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newest avr toolchain produces object code which is too big for Arduino

Posted by Anonymous User 
Until recently, I have been using the Arduino environment under Windows. This comes with a pre-packaged version of the necessary tools (gcc, binutils, avr-libc).

I am now working in Linux, and since the Linux version of the Arduino software does not come with these tools, it was necessary to build them from source. For this I naturally downloaded the latest versions.

When at last I had all this up and running, I was rather annoyed to find that the latest RepRap firmware did not upload, since the object code was too large. Downgrading to the same versions used in the prepackaged Windows software solved this.

So, for those with similar problems, use the following versions of the build tools;

binutils 2.16.1
gcc 4.1.2
avr-libc 1.4.6

Instructions for installing at [www.nongnu.org]

Hope this will save others some time...
Re: Newest avr toolchain produces object code which is too big for Arduino
March 23, 2008 10:28AM
Are you using the SNAP firmware or the G code Firmware? I ask because the G code firmware is much smaller than the SNAP, and if updating the versions of the build tools takes up that so much more volume with the G code that the firmware won't fit, I tend to think that therein lies your problem. And if you are using the SNAP, i understand the concern because the versions I have seen leave about 200 bytes when fully uploaded. Also, I recommend switching to the G code firmware. It runs much faster and smoother than the SNAP. Plus, why use a packaging system if USB already has one? Thats like putting a letter inside of a box inside of a shipping container to have it be mailed across town.

Jay
This was with the SNAP firmware. I'm intending moving over to the G-code firmware, but I wanted to also test with the first of these two.

Perhaps something worth bearing in mind though for the future if the G-code (or any other) firmware gets as large as the SNAP version; it could be that some fine tuning of the build toolchain could free up that last wee bit of space when trying to squeeze it into 16k (reminds me of coding in BBC BASIC in the '80s)...
March 23, 2008 12:51PM
Using the libraries with Ubuntu Hardy Heron I've found the atof call in the gcode string pharsing function started causing the arduino to reset. I wrote my own replacement (uses less code) instead of tracking down which version causes the problem. sounds related, would be worth troubleshooting i think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2008 12:52PM by mellery.
March 26, 2008 05:20PM
hmm. this is definitely a bummer.

one possible solution is that we could post the hex firmware, and you could upload it manually. still, not an ideal solution.

as for gcode: yes, its definitely the route for the (near) future. theres still a relatively large amount of work that needs to go into it, but it is working, and you can use my subversion branch until its integrated into trunk:

[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login