Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McWire vs Darwin in Host software

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
McWire vs Darwin in Host software
April 13, 2008 04:05PM
Hey everyone,
So I was looking through the software, and I was wondering how does the host software know whether you have a McWire setup or a Darwin setup? I know to it, it doesn't matter as its all steppers and limit switches, but the orientation of it does matter.

For example, the Darwin has it Z=0 position as the table closest to the extruder head, which is the table at the top of the robot. The McWire should have its Z=0 position as the table closest to the extruder head again, which is the extruder at the bottom of the robot.

Is there a way in software to set this so the RepRap knows? If there isn't, I would suggest that this may be a good idea.
Re: McWire vs Darwin in Host software
April 13, 2008 07:16PM
I think that right now you have to physically wire your z stepper backwards for the mcwire.

Jay
April 14, 2008 04:46PM
or if you're using the Arduino electronics, insert the stepper motor plug backwards. works just the same.
Anonymous User
April 14, 2008 05:04PM
Given that physically wiring the Z stepper backwards or inserting the stepper plug backwards is a quick fix and should work for most people, do you agree that it would be nice to have some options available to the user to determine which setup they are using.

For example, how about an option where the user can select Darwin or McWire? Have motors go to one end of Z and ask should this be zero or absolute max travel, can be based off of the "Working Volume Probe".

What do you guys think?
April 14, 2008 05:54PM
Oh, most definitely it is a good idea, but I am the wrong guy to be asking to do see as how I know very little about the internal workings of our RepRap Host software.

Jay
Anonymous User
April 14, 2008 06:11PM
Maybe somebody with some knowledge of the host software can tell me this.

If you want to change the software, do I need some program like Eclispe to modify the java code that I have already on my computer. I know I have a main file and a reprap.jar file, is everything I need in those files so I can just manipulate those.

If I do changes that I think people maybe interested in, where can I upload it for them?
April 14, 2008 10:49PM
My McWire working volume probe cuts out at exactly 30000 steps in the x. Again, don't know if this is some incompatibility, and it's not really a problem, assuming this isn't reflected in the actual build.
VDX
April 15, 2008 03:43AM
... in my CNC-mill-setup i can determine the (+/-)direction of every axis or invert the home- and refswitch-positionseeking, the stepcount per motor-turn, the steps per mm (inch), eventual gearbox-relations, homing-speed, maximal speed, and some other parameters too ...

This should work for any possible configuration of the reprap.

Viktor
April 15, 2008 01:46PM
yeah, its definitely do-able. there are a ton of things that need to be done in the host software, the problem is that most of the team is focused on getting the actual printing perfected.

not to mention most of us have jobs and work on RepRap in our spare time.

anyone want to pay me to work on RepRap full time? i'll fix all the java host bugs =)
VDX
April 15, 2008 04:57PM
Hi Zach,

... i know, it's a hard job winking smiley

My complete time is consumed by daywork and some other actual problems too, so some relevant projects are delayed until i'll ready with the other tasks ...

Actually i'm on optimizing my CNC-mill and building a second driving system with 1/256-microstepping, so i can hit the submicron-range (actual machining accuracy = 0,1 micron - needed for a very special problem).

Then i have to build a dispenser-head and make the tests with Fernandos UV-curing resins - this should be the more interesting target.

And then i have the parallel-kinematics and the lathe-LOM-fabbing on my table, for which i asked your advice in the last year.

So it's going much slower then i hoped, but it seems to develop much more possibilities, then projected at start - so this year should be very exciting in respect to 3D-printing and such stuff smiling smiley

Ciao, Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login