Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Software Installation on Ubuntu Gusty.

Posted by Andy D. 
Hi. I am following the instructions on [reprap.org] and find them quite clear and easy to follow. I have a couple additions that might help make the page even easier for Ubuntu users to follow.

With the latest Ubuntu Gusty repositories, I wasn't able to find the 'libgcj7-awt' library, but instead found 'libgcj7-1' and 'libgcj7-1-awt'. Also, I was not able to find libsdl, but instead found 'libsdl1.2debian'. Perhapses you could make available a .deb and/or .rpm package that formalized the requirements and the various options that will work? In the least part, it would be helpful to edit the wiki to say what the newer library names are.

Another place I got hung up was in the
"The RepRap Java programs"
step. Because we had just previously run eclipse for the first time as sudo, it made the ~/.eclipse directory with root ownership. Then, when we run eclipse as a regular user, eclipse can't write to the directory, and the nonintuitive result is the error message "Eclipse problems opening perspective 'org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.ui.svnPerspective'" when clicking on "SVN Repository Exploring," in that step. Adding a "chown -R username:username ~/.eclipse" at the beginning of that step would help.

Thanks for listening! smiling smiley

Have a great day!

~Andy
<ignore message>
April 27, 2008 06:26PM

Click here to login