Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repraping on XP and Ubuntu

Posted by Satuna 
Repraping on XP and Ubuntu
April 24, 2008 04:14AM
I have been suffering with getting the infilling pattern right in the last few days when I experienced an interesting thing. Finally, I optimized the process and outlining and infilling is okay now with the widebar.stl. Then I thought to try a few RepRap parts of which PCB clamp came off the tray well (now part of my machine, Yes!) but I had an intersting error during the Z studding tie and polyholder clamp. What happened was that the machine did the perimeter and then started infilling. As these parts are more complex then the widebar infilling can not be done with one go (middle permieter lines cut the infilling). Thus the machine has to return while infilling and my Reprap messes up everything at this point. When returns it moves the head full speed so the filament is not laid down properly.

Fristly, I tried Ubuntu instead of XP. Apart from that I realized that ubuntu controls the machine way better I experienced the same infilling problems.

Conslusion:
- change to Ubuntu
- infilling not solved though... has anyone experienced similar stuff?

Regards,
Adam
Re: Repraping on XP and Ubuntu
April 24, 2008 08:52AM
Could you define "way better" please? I'm curious about this.
April 24, 2008 12:38PM
Could you post a drawing or picture of how it failed?

Bruce Wattendorf
April 24, 2008 01:42PM
"way better" means for me that axis control is more precise. at curves it makes less mess but do not know the reason for this. XP stops before every curve for a little while which is enough to dump up the material. Maybe my XP is full of stuff... dont know...
April 24, 2008 03:25PM
Hi,

Here is a photo of what I was talking about. It is difficult to see as the part is actually functional but the hole on the right hand side is the result of this infilling speed up.

So what actually happens is that the machine starts infilling on the left hand side and goes along below the inner groove. Then when it starts coming backwards on the upper side it speeds up. (up to 100% percent I think)

XP and Ubuntu does the same thing.

I am off for holidays now so please excuse me if I do not respond for 10 days.

Regards,
Adam
April 24, 2008 03:47PM
Adam,

Have a great holiday the last thing what host software are you using??

is it 0.8.3 from the file release or is it from the code SVN?

because there have been some changes that might fix this for you..

Bruce Wattendorf
April 24, 2008 04:40PM
Satuna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> XP stops before
> every curve for a little while which is enough to
> dump up the material. Maybe my XP is full of
> stuff... dont know...

I've been using XP and noticed the same thing.
May 05, 2008 04:30AM
Bruce,

I am using 0.8.3 file release at the moment on XP. As I see on sourceforge this is the latest version, isnt it??

Regards,
Adam
May 05, 2008 09:58PM
Adam,
Here is the latest host software compiled from the sourceforge reprap source. Give this a try and see if it fixes your issue. Let me know I was looking to get the host download updated.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2008 09:59PM by Bruce Wattendorf.
Attachments:
open | download - reprap-host-20080505.zip (276.8 KB)
May 06, 2008 02:04PM
Bruce,

Thanks for the update! I tried but does the same thing. I really do not understand this issue... It is certanly not the PIC or some electronic stuff. I am sure its related to software but can not figure out the reason...

Adam
May 09, 2008 07:11AM
Bruce,

I think Adrian spotted my issue: he asked about the values for the following parameters:
-Extruder0_ShortLength(mm)
-Extruder0_ShortSpeed(0..1)

In the version of 0.8.3. I do not have these parameters. Instead of these I have the following two preferences:
- Extruder0_AngleSpeedFactor which is 0.5
- and Extruder0_AngleSpeedLength which is -1 in my case

Was there a name upgrade in the software or I am too blind to find these parameters?

Here is my parameter list:

Thanks,
Adam
May 18, 2008 10:49AM
Bruce,

Software worked finally, I made a mistake not copying it into the proper directory :-((

Anyway, v0.8.3. does not support short speed, I suppose. Please, correct me if I am wrong. I have just controlled the jar file and yours is different, contains short speed and nozzle wipe too.

Now, printing goes well finally... Huh...

Thanks for the host update! BTW why is it not uploaded onto sourceforge???

Adam
May 18, 2008 10:59AM
Adam,

I am glad to see it is working.

As it not being in source forge I am not sure I do know that Ed has added some new windows that only show up using netbeans ( They look cool but are a work in progress) I have not been able to get the new ui screens to work outside of netbeans?

I am a very big fan of a monthly release or frequent release of a build..
and would love to get it updated...

Bruce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login