Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Next version of the LiveCD

Posted by reece.arnott 
Next version of the LiveCD
April 30, 2008 02:59AM
I should be ready to begin work on the next version of the LiveCD this weekend. At this point it will be based on the Kubuntu 8.04 LiveCD released last week.

The question is, of course, what software should it contain?

I haven't kept up with all the advances in the various little bits and pieces of software (eg. all the Gcode stuff) as well as I should so I'm hoping y'all will help me out.

To start with I'll just add updated versions of what are in the old LiveCD and go from there:
- All the java stuff needed for Reprap
- The current Reprap.jar
- Art of Illusion
- minicom
- poke

I'm not so concerned now with keeping it down to CD size but still think thats most convenient. I may end up creating 2: one CD sized for most people and one DVD with all the extra bits and pieces people want but aren't 'core' but more developer tools like Eclipse.

I'd like to keep as much functionality of the Kubuntu base as possible so it can be used to install on a new machine and have a machine that 'just works' for Reprap+most common tasks.

This means that from the start I have conflicting goals but we'll see how it goes :-)

Also, if you have any other LiveCD type distros that you think could do with a little extra Reprap functionality, list them here as well. Hopefully, once I've done it once, I'll have a list of commands to refer to and so making a second one wouldn't be too hard.

As far as a basic timeline goes, I hope to have finished this in a couple of weeks and will definitely have it done by the end of May.

BTW, I just noticed I'm now classed as Reprap Guru! Thanks to whoever/whatever did that. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2008 03:15AM by reece.arnott.
Re: Next version of the LiveCD
April 30, 2008 02:30PM
That would be great! Do you know how to get the software to install on the Asus EEE? I am having problems with the fact that the Processor doesn't seem to have i386 libraries contained on it.

Jay
VDX
April 30, 2008 02:32PM
Hi Reece,

i think Meshlab ( [meshlab.sourceforge.net] ) should be on the CD too - it's good for editing and converting high-volume 3D-data.

Viktor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2008 02:33PM by Viktor.
April 30, 2008 04:31PM
What about the software the Chris (nophead), Enrique, and Chris Meagan have been working on? That might be good to include.

Jay
May 01, 2008 07:19PM
Something that I've found very useful, as I don't always have internet access, is a snapshot of the documentation wiki. Very handy when you're offline. It gets to be a large file quite quickly though.
Anonymous User
May 02, 2008 09:08AM
An idea might be to add RepRap stuff to the EMC Live CD. I'm using EMC for my CNC Mill and plan on using it as a RepStrap.

Along those same lines, and I think Jay already referenced it, but that Gcode emitting back-end would be nice on any distro.
May 03, 2008 12:39PM
I get the java.lang NullPointerException error when I run the reprap program off the liveCD both on my intellmac and on my dell. Just thought you'd like to know.
May 24, 2008 11:33PM
OK, I've got the latest version (0.6) of the LiveCD torrent files uploaded to thepiratebay.org.
The Iso can be downloaded from: [thepiratebay.org]
And the source files from: [thepiratebay.org]

I'll upload the .torrent files to sourceforge in a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I had a few issues. The most obvious one is that the name of the torrent for the sources is called simply "sourcefiles" and I haven't figured out how to change that at the pirate bay.

This is the developer edition and so includes a lot more than the last version. It is 835MB so won't fit on a CD, but includes pretty much all the software you'll need, no matter how you want to contribute to the project.

Included in this DVD are:
- Reprap host software 0.8.3
- AoI (with Enriques beanshell scripts)
- Blender
- Eclipse with subclipse plugin preconfigured to connect to Reprap SVN repository.
- Minicom
- Poke
- KiCad
- PicP
- Gpicp
- PikDev
- Python environment needed for Enriques python scripts (hopefully).

Also I have got the Eclipse workspace configuration and desktop shortcuts in the /etc/skel folder which is the Linux equivalent of All Users in Windows so they will be available for you to use if you install the DVD to the hardrive.

The issue one person was having that required an addition to the hardware blacklist has hopefully been solved by adding the line to the blacklist file.

I was also wanting to include MeshLabs (source can be downloaded from [meshlab.sourceforge.net]) but I had an issue with one of the dependencies Lib3ds (source can be downloaded from [lib3ds.sourceforge.net])

Assuming the sources are downloaded to /tmp the following should have installed meshlab properly but it didn't. If someone who has been through the process before can figure out what I did wrong, tell me and I'll add it in to the next version.

sudo apt-get install g++ libqt4-dev qt4-dev-tools bzip2

cd /tmp
sudo unzip lib3ds-1.3.0.zip
cd lib3ds-1.3.0
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install

cd /tmp
sudo tar -xvzf MeshLabSrc_v111.tgz
cd meshlab/srccd /tmp
sudo apt-get install g++ libqt4-dev qt4-dev-tools bzip2
// start compile lib3ds
sudo unzip lib3ds-1.3.0.zip
cd lib3ds-1.3.0
sudo ./configure
sudo make
sudo make install
// end compile lib3ds

// start compile MeshLab
cd /tmp
sudo tar -xvzf MeshLabSrc_v111.tgz
cd meshlab/src
sudo qmake -recursive meshlabv11.pro
sudo make
// end compile MeshLab

I was also wanting to add in NanoEngineer from Nanorex (www.nanorex.com - need to register to download) but I would have had to compile it from source as well as nearly half a dozen of its dependencies. As there is a .deb file due out 'soon' and it is for designing things on the molecular level I thought I'd wait.

I was wanting to upgrade java to 1.6 but there is a weird issue with it not being able to be installed in a chroot environment (as well as comments from a 'guru' friend of mine to stay away from it) so I left it at 1.5.

This is a bigger undertaking than the last version and there are more things I haven't used so lots of testing by those in the know needs to be done. I'm fairly sure it all works properly but I'll unoffically label this as a beta release for the next couple of weeks.

Once that fortnight is up, if there are no major issues, I'll move onto a EMC2 LiveCD (which I have zero experience with so don't expect too much).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2008 02:27AM by reece.arnott.
May 27, 2008 05:25PM
Great work. I'm downloading it through my server which will seed it with its gigabit connection just like the other image (Uploaded: 11191.5 Mcool smiley. The ISO downloads from my site are: 77.38 GB for April and 46.76 GB for May so far... smiling smiley
The file also caused 241.75 GB of hits by spiders/crawlers this month. Some of these are regular downloads that are aborted. [BudgetDedicated.com] gladly sponsors this, though.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
May 28, 2008 11:06AM
The image is now on the RepRap seeding server that I set up. It's also download-able from my site. I've also updated the wiki page. Both 0.4 and 0.6 releases are available there.

[www.reprap.org]

I put a small textual notice there that we sponsor the bandwidth. I hope everyone thinks this is fine. It does pull quite some bandwidth (>.1 Terabyte), but we do not need much in return. A notice is nice of course. If anyone objects, I'll remove it, though.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
May 28, 2008 05:18PM
fine by me!

thanks for the hosting =)
June 02, 2008 12:54PM
Just out of curiosity, does this image include the Arduino software?
June 03, 2008 02:21AM
No. It has Eclipse set up to connect to the Reprap repository so you can get the latest version of any of the software and compile it yourself. I understand that for the Ardunio firmware you can just take the files you need; the package release script just bundles all the files into a zip file.

The current Ardunio 1.3 firmware was packaged and put up on sourceforge 2 days after I finished.
June 05, 2008 03:45AM
Reece,

I downloaded the both verions of Live the other day. Then I tried to upgrade the host by replacing the reprap.jar file but ran into permission issues. Tried to replace the file logging in in terminal as root (with sudo command) but there was no effect on the original .jar file. I tried the same in both versions but had the same results.

The thing is that I do not have internet connection on my linux PC thus do not have access to the repositories.

Could you help me how to upgrade the host in either verion of Live without internet connection? BTW, why isnt logging in as a root enough to be able to upgrade the host?

Thanks,
Adam
0.9 host with the LiveCD
June 05, 2008 05:15AM
The latest host is a little different to its forebears in that the reprap-host shell script is a little more complicated in that it has a couple of paths coded into it.

If you're running it from the LiveDVD its easiest if you copy the entire zipfile contents and just leave the old version as is and forget about trying to upgrade it.

At first glance it should be simple to do.

1. Unzip to a folder eg. on the desktop and edit the reprap-host file.

2. Change the REPRAP_DIR variable to the folder all the files are in. In this case it would be "~/Desktop/reprap-host-20080523"

3. Change the JAVA_LIBRARY_DIR to "/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/lib/ext"

However, I have had issues with this and get the following error when I run ./reprap-host from the console (LiveDVD version 0.6):

Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb1662767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xb16628b1]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(_XReply+0xfd) [0xb16a71bd]
#3 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xb1796dce]
#4 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xb1780d77]
#5 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xb1780ef3]
#6 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so(Java_sun_awt_X11GraphicsEnvironment_initDisplay+0x26) [0xb1781136]
#7 [0xb2598bfa]
#8 [0xb2592b3b]
#9 [0xb2592b3b]
#10 [0xb2590219]
#11 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb774f2bc]
#12 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb7863ed8]
#13 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb774f0ef]
#14 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so(JVM_DoPrivileged+0x32d) [0xb77acb9d]
#15 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so(Java_java_security_AccessController_doPrivileged__Ljava_security_PrivilegedAction_2+0x3d) [0xb754430d]
#16 [0xb25984ab]
#17 [0xb2592a64]
#18 [0xb2590219]
#19 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb774f2bc]
Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb1662767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xb166281e]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb16a6518]
#3 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XGetVisualInfo+0x26) [0xb169d0a6]
#4 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xb17800b9]
#5 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xb1780303]
#6 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so [0xb1780fa1]
#7 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so(Java_sun_awt_X11GraphicsEnvironment_initDisplay+0x26) [0xb1781136]
#8 [0xb2598bfa]
#9 [0xb2592b3b]
#10 [0xb2592b3b]
#11 [0xb2590219]
#12 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb774f2bc]
#13 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb7863ed8]
#14 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so [0xb774f0ef]
#15 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so(JVM_DoPrivileged+0x32d) [0xb77acb9d]
#16 /rofs/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.15/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so(Java_java_security_AccessController_doPrivileged__Ljava_security_PrivilegedAction_2+0x3d) [0xb754430d]
#17 [0xb25984ab]
#18 [0xb2592a64]
#19 [0xb2590219]
Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/GroupLayout$Group
at org.reprap.Main$22.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

Jonathan, do you have any ideas? Its probably a stupid java environment setting on the LiveDVD but I just don't know enough to decipher the error message.

I haven't got any spare machines to play with at the moment so all I can use is the LiveDVD.

I did notice however that the zip file contains a subfolder with one file in it that I wouldn't have thought belonged: org/reprap/Main.class and which I assume is important to have in the correct place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 03:04AM by reece.arnott.
June 07, 2008 09:25AM
Thanks for the description, but the method gives me the same error as you get. I eventually managed to upgrade the jar file, but the software does not start. I may need to connect to the internet to get access to the repositories...

Adam
June 07, 2008 06:01PM
I have downloaded it and am constantly seeding. I haven't tested it yet. I'll get back to you when I have

Jay
June 08, 2008 01:31PM
Thanks Jay, looking forward to your answer!

Adam
June 10, 2008 07:58AM
Hi,

Now as I have set up my internet connection on kubuntu I could try to access to the repository but gives me the following error: "Error getting Dir list"

In the checkout window I have set trunk/reprap for the project name and head for the revision but it does not want to get the updates...

When I use the original settings it gives me an error sign without any explanation...

Could anyone help me why I do not have access?

Thanks,
Adam
emt
June 10, 2008 03:25PM
Hi

I had trouble with checking out subversion earlier today but when I tried later no problem. Maybe a glitch?

Regards

Ian
June 10, 2008 11:08PM
I had a look at making an EMC2 based LiveCD and it looks like it would just be easier to use the script they have on their website (http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/emc2-install.sh) to add it into the next version of the LiveDVD.

If I get time this weekend I'll try and hunt down the issue with the 0.9 host and add that in as well.

All going well, expect an updated version in a couple of weeks.

If someone can figure out the meshlab issues I'll add that as well.

BTW, I've just changed my broadband plan and get the first 75GB of traffic free between midnight and 8am NZ time (UTC+12:00) so I've set up my torrents to only seed between those times.
June 10, 2008 11:11PM
I had a look at making an EMC2 based LiveCD and it looks like it would just be easier to use the script they have on their website (http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy/emc2-install.sh) to add it into the next version of the LiveDVD.

If I get time this weekend I'll try and hunt down the issue with the 0.9 host and add that in.

And if someone can figure out the meshlab issues I'll add that as well.

Then all going well, expect an updated version in a couple of weeks.

BTW, I've just changed my broadband plan and get the first 75GB of traffic free between midnight and 8am NZ time (UTC+12:00) so I've set up my torrents to only seed between those times so expect a few delays when I first seed them.
June 11, 2008 02:57AM
Yeah, it would help a lot I think as there are a lot new settings in 0.9 compared to older versions. EMC2 based reprap is interesting too.

I checked eclipse again as Ian said, but I still get the same error sign with this massage in the right window:

"svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svnroot/reprap/trunk'
svn: reprap.svn.sourceforge.net
Re: 0.9 host with the LiveCD
June 13, 2008 03:37AM
The only thing I can think of is that you're double clicking on the trunk rather than clicking on the arrow at the left to get a list of the subfolders (which will then want you to accept a certificate).

The error message is basically saying that this folder doesn't exist and yet it obviously does so the only other thing is if you have a network issue eg. a proxy server in the way.

Actually just reading your other posts it looks like you're trying to get everything in one gulp (i.e. the trunk on down). Try going down a couple of levels and just checking out one subfolder eg. reprap/miscellaneous/LiveCD-scripts (just a few k) and then if that works, work your way up the tree.

As for the above errors I had with 0.9 host it seems as if there are 2 specific issues:

1. From [bugs.launchpad.net] this is a bug in the Ubuntu hardy distro's packaged xorg/libsdl which can be fixed in this case by doing the following:
sudo sed -i 's/XINERAMA/FAKEEXTN/g' /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/lib/i386/xawt/libmawt.so

2. From another thread the exception in swing is because its Java 1.6 specific. I'll try adding 1.6 into the machine that I've just built from the LiveDVD and see how it goes.
June 16, 2008 04:01AM
Reece,

Yeah, thanks actually proxy was in the way. Now, avoiding proxy it coonects and downloads the update.

I now hit another wall not being able to compile from source. I have not been using Linux for a long time but until now I only found tar archives which were simple to compile. Other option was to use the makefile... In this case I found something new and do not know how to compile it. I was trying to search on wiki but did not find it.

Is there a description how to do this on linux?

Thanks,
Adam
June 16, 2008 11:04AM
Hey Reeece, thanks for the live cd - I'm posting this from it right now!

However, the computer I want to use with my reprap doesn't have a CD drive; it's an Eeepc, cheap and easy to transport to the workshop via bike. Do you have any tips on getting this live CD on to a USB stick or SD card? I've had luck getting Hardy Heron running on a SD card via the following script:

sudo /cdrom/mkusbinstall.sh --autodetect

but despite several attempts using syslinux and whatnot, I can't seem to make a bootable USB version of this live CD. Got any tips on getting this distro on a USB stick? I think Jay's been having similar issues with his Eeepc.
June 18, 2008 03:59AM
I haven't done it myself but you could try the instructions here: [www.debuntu.org]

The best place to look is: [www.pendrivelinux.com]

I think you should be able to use [www.pendrivelinux.com] with minimal changes.

I'm not sure how big a keydrive you'll need but it will be at least 2GB possibly even 8GB.
June 22, 2008 07:06AM
I've just uploaded the latest .torrent files for the 0.7 developers version of the LiveDVD. I may have broken the 0.6 source files in the process as I've just added the additional source files to the same folder and there seems to have been one that got updated in the process.

This version is just the 0.6 version plus:
- Java 1.6
- Reprap host 0.9
- EMC2 software suite

Note that it now contains both the latest versions of the host software as well as Java 1.5 and 1.6.

As far as I can tell everything works but it may be a bit rough around the edges as this is just an intermediate release really.

Unless there are any serious issues I'm not planning on making another one until the 1.0 host software comes out or the next Ubuntu release in October (whichever comes first).

I'm going to be spending more of my time over the next few months on putting the final touches on my own Darwin machine and then calibrating it and finally printing stuff with it.

Enjoy.
June 27, 2008 02:43AM
I'm having trouble finding seeders for the torrent 0.7 LiveDVD.

If this is a common problem, I would like to donate some of my web space to host the iso, as long as it doesn't bump my traffic over 2.5tb/mo.

Reece, if you could contact me via pm/email I will give a FTP account to my web host.
June 27, 2008 05:31AM
Yes, I am having the same trouble... I have been downloading it for 3 days now and am at 20%.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login