Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Next version of the LiveCD

Posted by reece.arnott 
Re: Next version of the LiveCD
June 27, 2008 01:02PM
Whoever is seeding, thanks!

Once my dl is complete I'll continue seeding until I can upload to my host.

I'll post the link here at that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 05:45PM by jeffpark_.
June 27, 2008 05:58PM
Sorry about the slow start. I'm only seeding 8 hours out of every 24 (midnight-8am NZ time) as its free for me to do so.

Next time I'll probably just seed for the first few days straight until a few people have it then cut back down again.
June 28, 2008 10:34PM
I have uploaded the image, here is the link:

[reprap.binaryconstruct.com]

Thanks for seeding.

BTW One thing you might consider adding to the next release, whenever that may be, is the Arduino Host software.
June 29, 2008 12:59PM
Hey Reece, I just booted the latest liveCD, version 0.7, and I'm getting com errors when I start, despite having the path set correctly to /dev/ttyUSB0. Dmesg tells me:
[ 306.068014] usb 4-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

which is what works in my regular Ubuntu install and in the 0.6 CD, so I think that's all good.

I am getting a java error
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver.nativeGetVersion()Ljava/lang/String; thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
java.lang.Exception:
Could not connect at /dev/ttyUSB0.

so I'm guessing there's a problem with the RXTX library? I'm a total java noob, so I'm really guessing here. Trying to learn fast though.

Also, the reason I tried the live CD is that I kept getting this error on my Ubuntu install:
Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.swing.ImageIcon.(ImageIcon.java:138)
at org.reprap.gui.botConsole.PrintTabPanel.initComponents(Unknown Source)

Which I'm also getting on the live cd, so maybe it's an issue with my particular video card (nVidia Quadro on a Toshiba laptop). I'll try 0.6 again and see if that works.

Finally, the older version script didn't work as it says in the readme; but by going to the /etc/reprap-host-0.8.3 dir and running reprap-host.sh, I got it to run without the ImageIcon exception, but it still hangs on the same RXTX error when I try to run the stepper exerciser.

Sorry, probably too much information, but I thought it might help. I'm going to try running the 0.6 CD again for reference, but it looks like reprap-host-0.8.3 is working better for me for now.

Wade

Yeah, the livecd 0.6 version still works for me - I get some errors on startup, but I can run a test build of the minimug without crashing, although without a working extruder I don't get very far into the build. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2008 12:27AM by Wade.
June 30, 2008 01:53AM
1) I'm also having issues with the comms error with /dev/ttyUSB0 but I think its the order in which things are turned on as I have had it working. If I find a solution I'll post it to this thread: [forums.reprap.org]

2) I think the RXTX error is related to the first error, fix one and the other will go away.

3) The Imagecon error is specifically an error associated with the 0.9 host and/or not running Java version 1.6. The 0.8.3 host will work on Java 1.5 or 1.6 but the 0.9 host will only work on Java 1.6 so maybe something is changing the default Java version. On the LiveDVD try rebooting and see if it goes away. If not then it probably is an issue with your video card and Java 1.6's support of it. It may be something that can be changed with the next reprap host version so post another thread about it.

4) Yeah, sorry about that. The old reprap host script wasn't tested properly. I had the same problem yesterday :-)
June 30, 2008 02:50AM
Guys,

Thanks for the new version of Live DVD, its really cool to have EMC2 on it too!

BTW, I am getting the same error with /dev/ttyUSB0

Before everything worked well and now with the new host it does not works. I also tried different turn-on-order but none worked. I keep trying though...

Adam
July 02, 2008 01:14AM
I've found a few minor issues with the LiveDVD version 0.7 but I don't think its worth redoing another one at the moment but it does imply that this version is a bit more rough and ready than the previous versions. Sorry about that.

1) The Change.log on the DVD is not the up to date version. For those that are interested, the correct one is attached.

2) The reprap-0.8.3 shell script to run the old version of the host is not there. I'm not sure how that happened but you can run it using two commands at the terminal:

cd /etc/reprap-host-0.8.3
./reprap-host.sh

3) The Addins for Art Of Illusion have not been installed (this is also a problem for 0.6). From [dev.www.reprap.org] the way to do this is as follows:

Go to Tools -> Scripts and Plugins Manager menu. Select the Install tab. (Note that if you are behind a firewall you may first have to click on the Setup... button and enter details of your http proxy.) AoI will scan for scripts and plugins (this might look as if it has found nothing as sometimes no files appear in the window; ignore this absence and do the next thing anyway). Click Select all and then on Install selected files. AoI will get all the available plugins and enhancements and install them on your system.

4) The JAVA_LIBRARY_DIR path in the repap-host shell script for the 0.9 host is wrong; it is supposed to be "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/ext" (Thanks Wade). At this point it doesn't matter that this is wrong as this is a folder that will always be searched as long as the java version is set to 1.6.

It may be that the issues I'm having with /dev/ttyUSB0 not being accessible via the host is related to the 0.7 LiveDVD and not the host version/Java version/order in which things are turned on etc. so I'll test using the 0.6 LiveDVD (which will be the 0.8.3 host using Java 1.5) and see what happens.
Attachments:
open | download - Change.log (13.3 KB)
July 02, 2008 03:29AM
It looks like the issues I'm having might be related to RXTX. On the 0.7 LiveDVD I get the following error using Java 1.6:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver.nativeGetVersion()Ljava/lang/String; thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

and this error using Java 1.5:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: nativeGetVersion thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

On the 0.6 LiveDVD (Java 1.5 with the 0.8.3 host) it seems to work fine.

As this error could actually mean that java can't communicate with the device it may be a false lead but as rxtx is the only stuff I didn't install as per the instructions it would make sense if its having issues.

The easiest way around my particular issue is to use the 0.6 LiveDVD. This will get around my immediate issue and I'll look further into it in a few days time.
Is there a chance that there will be soon a seeder for the latest version of the LiveDVD online (RepRapLiveDVD-0.7.iso, RepRapLiveDVD-0.7-src)? Or maybe there is another source for the image?
May 06, 2009 10:21PM
I have fired back up my bit torrent for the 0.7 and 0.6 versions of the LiveDVD images.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
May 07, 2009 10:31AM
I've been hosting v7 of the LiveDVD here for some time (if you don't have access to torrents due to firewall/isp etc):

[www.binaryconstruct.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 10:31AM by Jeff.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
May 07, 2009 06:05PM
Thanks. Download is completed now (via Bittorrent). I will continue seeding whenever I am online and the LiveDVD has not become obsolete. I also bookmarked the Link to binaryconstruct.com… just in case smiling smiley

ps: just registered, because captchas are broken
May 11, 2009 05:13AM
The Live DVD is probably quite out of date now. It was made when it was harder to install the Reprap Host software. Now, it is easy enough to download the zip file from sourceforge and the Java Runtime for your machine from Sun and run with it.

Plus, I no longer have time to spare for updating it so personally, I won't be updating it anymore but if someone else does, thats fine by me :-)
May 20, 2009 09:25AM
I am trying to get also the source files for the LiveCD, but only about 23% are available via Bittorrent and the download speed is somewhere around 10 Bytes/s in average. Can someone please also seed those source files or upload them to a http or ftp server? Yes, the LiveCD is outdated, but it is about a principle: there is GPL licensed (and also MIT and more) software on the CD and the correct source files should be available for at least three years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login