Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem running the host software [solved]

Posted by ErikDeBruijn 
Problem running the host software [solved]
March 13, 2008 12:07PM
I had some hurdles installing the software involving STLLoader. When the host sofware didn't start and gave a backtrace with a Class not Found exception for STLLoader, I installed j3d this file virtually anywhere:
[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

After installing various java versions, I found out that I downloaded a html page called j3d-org-java3d-all.jar (if you do this through wget you might not notice your error). Perhaps the link could more explicitly state that you can "find the download on this webpage". It is only for people like me that don't click on links a lot but copy to the terminal to download things there. I guess that using wget all the time is probably bad practice. But still, perhaps a change to this Wiki page is appropriate?
Re: Problem running the host software [solved]
March 13, 2008 12:21PM
i'll try and update the various install pages to make things easier to figure out.

of course i'd like to get the host software setup so that it includes all these .jar files in the initial download so the install instructions are:

1. download the reprap host software.
2. run the reprap host software.

problem is, i dont know a whole lot about how to package separate .jar files together. any java experts here?
March 13, 2008 04:37PM
Hey Zach,
I think that the Ubuntu site should really be updated, but more to the point, I think that it should be explained a lot more thoroughly. I don't have much of an idea as to what I'm doing on Ubuntu, but I feel that that is the best OS to run the software on. Any help helps.

Jay
March 13, 2008 05:42PM
anyone got a cloning machine? i'd love to make it perfect, but i'm swamped.
March 13, 2008 06:33PM
Zach~

No worries. I'll go through the problems I'm having and send a list of them out onto the ubuntu forums, then I'll send you that and maybe you can do something with it. All we can fairly ask of you is to do what you can. I mean, I don't think that anybody in this community can possibly say that your not working hard enough.

Jay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login