Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

moduser on Ubuntu 8.04

Posted by moonguide 
moduser on Ubuntu 8.04
September 20, 2008 07:26PM
I'm finally getting started with the software. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my machine, followed the instructions for installing all the extra Java stuff (j3d, etc). One instruction didn't work on my machine.

rsteff@moonguide:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre$ sudo moduser -G `groups |sed 's/ /,/g'`,dialout `whoami`
sudo: moduser: command not found

Was moduser replaced between Ubuntu 7 and 8, or did I miss something?

I don't have any hardware to connect, yet, so I was hoping the serial port didn't matter. I do have something connected to a serial port, but I don't have it running yet, either.

Recommendations on how to proceed are welcomed.

Thanks.
Re: moduser on Ubuntu 8.04
September 21, 2008 06:50PM
If the output of

groups rsteff

shows dialout additional to some other groups, you are already in and there is no need to add your user to dialout.

If not you can

Use the mouse, go to the system preferences menu > users/groups and check modem connect for your user.
(or something like that. My menus are not in english, so I don't know the correct expressions.)

Use

usermod

instead of

moduser

This should work.

If I am wrong with the second way someone else should stop you smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2008 06:55PM by uplift.
Re: moduser on Ubuntu 8.04
September 21, 2008 09:28PM
Thanks. I had my machine at a Linux group clinic this afternoon where there are several Ubuntu users. They had me use

sudo gpasswd -a rsteff dialout

That worked fine. It let me start the program. It didn't get past the terminal window stage, but I'll have to run it again tomorrow to see the error messages and figure out what question to ask next.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login