Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generation 3 Electronics

Posted by Nordmann 
Generation 3 Electronics
March 31, 2009 02:51PM
I cant seem to find any links to 3rd generation software. I can find the discussions for the code, but what sort of time scale is expected? 1 months, 6 months? I am planning to get the 3rd generation electronics pcbs and start making them. If I'm planning to get it finished by july, with no building started as yet, would generation 2 electronics be a better choice?

Nick Southon
Re: Generation 3 Electronics
March 31, 2009 03:14PM
Waiting around for the next generation of anything is rarely rewarding.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
March 31, 2009 05:25PM
I was mainly checking that I hadn't missed a link to 3rd generation software Forrest. If it's the case that the software electronics aren't here yet, I'll take your advice and stick with 2 nd generation stuff until the software is up and running, and then I can get down to the business of SMT.

Nick Southon
April 07, 2009 03:35AM
I've added a link to the 3rd gen electronics page with a notice that it is still under development and hardly used in the field, mostly for that reason. To me, it seems almost ready for prime time and already would be a feasible option for some.

SMT seems hard to many, as it did to me, but I was able to solder the magnetic rotary encoder without flux or a hot air gun, tweezers or the reflow method. And this was my first time with SMT. Just using traditional soldering techniques, it's quite possible. I did need a little solder wick to correct a small mistake. I don't recommend doing it like this, you should get some simple SMT soldering tools, but don't be scared to easily. It even went faster than a PDIP board would go, because you don't need to clip wires. Actual completion took 'a bit longer' when I lost one of these tiny components (the magnet) which was picked up by another tool to be found months later winking smiley

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
April 15, 2009 05:26PM
Thanks for all the replies, since the actual host and Slave software seems to be available, I'm assuming its a working solution, if possibly a big buggy/unoptimised. If so, I shall be ordering all the electronics next week, and will also start sorting out getting some bits laser cut out. Anyway, thanks for clearing this issue up

Nick Southon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login