Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HeeksCAD (Open CASCADE based solid modeling tool)

Posted by ErikDeBruijn 
HeeksCAD (Open CASCADE based solid modeling tool)
October 07, 2009 09:38AM
Hi,

Anyone knows this CAD program?
[celer.oni.biz]

I've tried it and it looks really promising, yet it is unstable and not very intuitive. However I have little modeling experience, so I can't really compare it well.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
VDX
Re: HeeksCAD (Open CASCADE based solid modeling tool)
October 07, 2009 10:07AM
Hi Eric,

i downloaded HeeksCNC some time ago and run a short test, but until now my toolchain is based around IsyCAM.

When changing to Arduino-CNC and LOM then i have to try with other solutions too ...

Viktor
October 07, 2009 02:01PM
Well, you also have HeeksCNC, but that's only for subtractive. HeeksCAD is a solid modeler with some type of CAM integration it seems. For additive fabrication we would not use those features, but just the solid modeler. But this is. IMHO, precisely what's still missing in the world of open source software... a good modeler. At least HeeksCAD seems like a very good start.

Normal (non-solid) modelers exist, gratis (Sketchup) and open (Blender). While sketchup is nice for simple things, it is not a complete CAD solution.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
VDX
October 07, 2009 03:39PM
Hi Eric,

i downloaded Caligaris Truespace 7.6 from here: [www.caligari.com]

It's free now and fully capable of really sophisticated 3D-construction, -artwork, physics and others - and it imports/exports different 3D-formats including STL.

Since the site is intended for shutdown soon, you should download the install-files, the manual and the tutorial videos - it's real worthy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I have it installed and running - but i'll do my CAD/CAM work mostly with other programs and toolchains which are often proprietary but much more powerfull and/or more effective for specific problems ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login