Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to install on a Mac OSX.7.4?

Posted by thebob 
How to install on a Mac OSX.7.4?
May 21, 2012 08:13AM
The Wiki is a little contradictory. This page...

[reprap.org]

Takes me here...

"Installation

This page has been flagged as containing duplicate material. An editor has suggested merging this page or section into Installing RepRap on your computer. (Discuss)
If you are upgrading your installation of the host software from a version that required you to install Java3D and RXTX, then see the Old to New Java Upgrade page.
You will need a working Java 1.5.0 or later Java Run-time Environment (JRE) to run the RepRap host software. See
[[1]]

for Java downloads and other information.
Once you've installed Java, get the ZIP file for the latest RepRap host software release from
[sourceforge.net]
The file you want will be called reprap-host-xxxxx-dddddddd.zip, where xxxxx is one of linux, windows, or mac and dddddddd is the date of the release in the form 20081218."

So I went to the Java page

[java.com]

That says install through software update, I'm uptodate so I assume I have Java.

So... further down this page...

[reprap.org] it says...

OSX Snow Leopard (10.6) download the latest release. Then just download [iharder.sourceforge.net] into the main folder keeping the .jnilib extension. make sure you have java installed

I've done that and Mac OS can't find an application to run it.

Then higher up on this page [reprap.org]

it says...

Prerequisites

The RepRap software currently runs under 32-bit Linux, 32-bit Microsoft Windows and runs on 64-bit Microsoft Windows (with the 64-bit RepRap distribution) and may run on 64-bit Linux but this is untested. We are working on adding Mac versions.

So am I to assume that there is no working Mac software and just use an Ubuntu USB stick?

[reprap.org]

Sorry for such a long and winding post, but it's been a long and winding road to get here!
Re: How to install on a Mac OSX.7.4?
May 21, 2012 10:16AM
I would suggest using pronterface (for sending commands to the printer) and slic3r (to generate the gcode). They're far more up to date, and what most people use nowadays. I'm almost certain they work on macs.
May 24, 2012 08:46AM
OK thanks for that! I threw Ubuntu on a NetBook and followed the installation instructions here.

[reprap.org]

It was surprisingly easy.

Do I need much muscle to run a printer? I think an old Netbook should do it.
May 24, 2012 09:20AM
To just control the machine, any old netbook will do.

Slicing the 3d files, on the other hand, can require much more cpu power & ram - or last forever.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login