Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When to turn on the power to the Reprap

Posted by reece.arnott 
When to turn on the power to the Reprap
June 26, 2008 02:56AM
I'm having problems sending commands to the Reprap and it seems to have to do with the order in which things are turned on and run.

I am trying too run the reprap host (either 0.8.3 or 0.9) and going into the Stepper test to test the Z axis running via a USB->Serial converter cable.

I know that when the machine is on it is connected as I can get an echo back from Minicom when the Tx/Rx is connected on the power board (I'm using the PCB electronics).

The problem is that most times when I try to use the host comes up with an error saying it can't communicate with /dev/ttyUSB0 but sometimes it does.

Can someone with knowledge of the host software tell me when I should be turning the electronics on and off when I'm doing this testing. I notice that the error comes up at different points depending on the host software and with the 0.9 host software I can sometimes run the Z axis motor after I've got an error.

I could go through and make a big list of situations and what works when and I'll do that if I have to but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

All I'm trying to do is:
- start host
- choose stepper exerciser
- run Z axis motor
- exit software

but there is also the issue that I need to kill the power to the motor before its completed its run as the axis is stuck and there are some situations where the electronics continue to receive these old signals when they are turned back on.
Re: When to turn on the power to the Reprap
June 27, 2008 01:08PM
I might be able to help you with one question:

To kill the motor power you can untick the "Torque" checkbox in the stepper exerciser. If the software crashed or timed out, try unticking/ticking a couple times. This usually worked for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login