Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap Host not starting.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Reprap Host not starting.
July 01, 2008 02:57AM
I have installed all the dependencies, however, when I run reprap-host.sh, I get the following message:

Could not connect at /dev/ttyS0.

Check to make sure that is the right path.
Check that you have your serial connector plugged in.The program will continue but your geometry preference has been set to 'nullcartesian' for this session.

And then it dies.

I don't have a /dev/ttyS0 as I am using a laptop and I can't seem to find the way to change this to /dev/ttyUSB0. I assume that this is what is killing it.

Attached is the full error log.

-Mark
Attachments:
open | download - error.log (4.2 KB)
Re: Reprap Host not starting.
July 01, 2008 04:50AM
I'm fairly new to linux, but I'm assuming that's what you are using.
You should be able to open the host software without any errors until you try to go to the tools section and run the extruder test or the motor tests. If so, then go to file-> prefs and change it there to the USB. If you have the problem as soon as you open the program and can't change it in there, then you'll need someone to give you a prefs file with the info already changed in it and you can replace you're one with that.
If neither of those work then it's probably something else and it's just giving you the wrong error maybe?

Anyway the first 2 suggestions should help.

~Dylan
Anonymous User
July 01, 2008 05:33AM
Yeah I am using linux. You have pretty much summed up the problem right there. It won't start because its trying to use /dev/ttyS0 and because I can't start it I can't get it to use /dev/ttyS0.

I REALLY wanna do my stepper test. I just finished building the X and Y of my McWire bot and I want to see if it has any accuracy at all.

-Mark
July 01, 2008 07:06AM
The prefs file is just text so if you can find it you can edit it to fix it. Its somewhere in your home directory if I remember correctly.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
July 01, 2008 08:39AM
Ok. I got it working. Updated the j3d lib and run it as root. It just doesn't seem to want to run as a normal user.

Anyway, IT MOVES, but damn do those stepper controllers get hot. I think it's time to fit some heatsinks to those babies. Then it will be time to draw some lines and see what this thing can do.

-Mark
July 02, 2008 01:22AM
The only reason that its working as root and not a normal user will probably be that the rights on j3d need to be changed (see [forums.reprap.org])

"The 0.8 version has the rights as -rw-r--r-- but the 0.9 version is -rwxrwx---

As this file is copied into place via a sudo command this means its assigned user and group as root so the normal user has no rights to it, hence the error, Simple fix for that is to run the following command in the java lib/ext directory afterwards:

sudo chmod 644 j3d-org-java3d-all.jar "

You can also change the device from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 in the prefs file by running the host and going to File->Preferences and change Port(name).

Also, the place where it checks that the device is there seems to have change between host versions 0.8.3 and 0.9. In the older version it only checked when you went to the Tools menu and chose one of the exercisers. In the 0.9 version it checks right at the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2008 01:25AM by reece.arnott.
Anonymous User
July 02, 2008 02:40AM
Thanks, will change those permissions

-Mark
July 14, 2008 03:24PM
Excellent day!!

I am new to this and very excited about this whole concept. I have ordered the parts but in the mean time trying to get the software loaded and launched. I loaded Java jdk. First I loaded the latest and greatest (?) but had some of the same errors listed in some of the other messages and figured I should roll back to an earlier version (jdk1.5.0_16), which I did. That eliminated those errors but now I am getting this same /dev/ttyS0 error.

I generally follow concept of the solution as discussed here, but I need some more detailed explanation on where to find the files and how to accomplish the steps listed.

Specifically, I would prefer to, 'change the device from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyUSB0 in the prefs file by running the host and going to File->Preferences and change Port(name).' but I do not know how to run the host when the error seems to be getting in the way of running the host or is this a different host then the RepRap host?

I am also willing to perform the simple fix as listed; 'Simple fix for that is to run the following command in the java lib/ext directory afterwards:

sudo chmod 644 j3d-org-java3d-all.jar "

but I do not know how to; 'run the following command in the java lib/ext directory afterwards'

I would greatly appreciate some help!

Thanks,
Doug
July 15, 2008 09:39PM
Those are quotes from me so I guess I should follow them up :-)

The details vary a little depending on your environment so I'll assume you're running from the LiveDVD.

Yes the host I referred to is the Reprap host. The latest version comes up with an error but if you hit the OK button it should go away and the software will come up with menus etc. If that doesn't happen, as nophead said you can edit the prefs file manually. This file is created the first time you run the host so you'll have to have run the host at least once.

To do this the easiest way is to run the following command in the terminal - in the LiveDVD you do this by going to the system menu (off the K at the bottom right of the screen) and run Konsole.

pico ~/.reprap/reprap.properties

Hold down the Ctrl key and press W (Ctrl+W) at the same time to get the search function. Search for /dev/tty and this will take you to the line that reads 'Port(name)=/dev/ttyS0'. Change this as you need (probably to 'Port(name)=/dev/ttyUSB0' and type Ctrl+X to exit and save the changes by typing Y.

As for the chmod command. Go to the terminal and type:

sudo update-java-alternatives --list

This will give you a list of where the java directories are. I get:

java-1.5.0-sun 53 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

Figure out which one you want (I'll use the java-1.5.0-sun in this example) and cd to the corresponding directory e.g.

cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun

Finally type the following command:

sudo chmod 644 lib/ext/j3d-org-java3d-all.jar

Hope that helps.
July 16, 2008 02:34AM
Reece, Thanks for your response.

I apologize for not being more specific in my setup and situation. I am running in windows XP. I have realized part of why I was not understanding your suggestions was that half of them were for linux specific machines. Seems obvious to me now but at the time...

I try to launch RepRap using the reprap-host.bat msdos batch command. At that point a cmd window pops up. Previously, when I first installed Java jdk1.6.0_07 I would get a bunck of exceptions (errors) and it would lock up and not leave the cmd window. Now that I have installed Java jdk1.5.0_16 it gets past the cmd window just enough to open a message window that says;

"Error initialising: java.lang.Exception:
Could not connect at /dev/ttyS0.

Check to make sure that is the right path.
Check that you have your serial connector plugged in. The program will continue but your geometry prefrence has been set to 'null cartesian' for this session."

There is an OK button at the bottom and when I click it all reprap related windows go away.

Could you please re-cast your advice based on the additional info I have given?

Thanks again,
Doug
emt
July 16, 2008 04:15AM
Hi

In windows first go into settings, control panel, system, hardware, device manager.

Under ports (COM & LPT) it should tell you the port number assigned to the USB.

Then use search to find the reprap.properties file. Right click and edit. Search for Port(name) and change to match your com number. This must be in caps without spaces. Mine for example is Port(name)=COM4.

Save the changes. This should get you over one hurdle.

Did you download and install Java 3d as per details here:-

[reprap.org]

If you follow all the steps outlined you should get a bit further and a Command window open.

If you still have errors any error messages should be in the command window. Copy and paste those messages into a reply & one of the Java gurus will hopefully jump in and advise what is wrong

Regards

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login