Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

problems with LiveCD

Posted by dwbowen 
problems with LiveCD
July 08, 2008 02:30PM
Hello All,

I am having issues opening both the reprap Live CD and DVD on my machine. I downloaded and burned both of these on my mac because my pc does not have a burner.
When I put the disc into the pc ReprapLiveDVD-0.6.iso comes up in a window under D:\ drive. When I click on this I am prompted to choose a program to use to open the file. None of the programs listed are able to open this file. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to get the live DVD or CD to run on my machine or what I might be doing wrong.

Thank you,
Re: problems with LiveCD
July 08, 2008 04:07PM
The live CD and live DVD have full operating systems (Linux) on them and function as boot disks. They're not stand-alone programs like Word.

Put one in your CD drive and reboot your machine. The system will see the disk and boot from it. After a bit of loading, you'll be running linux and will be able to run the RepRap software.

(You may have to tell your bios "Check the CD drive for a boot disk before you check the hard drive.")
July 08, 2008 05:00PM
Hey Sebastien,

Thanks for the tip. Where I should go to tell my computer to check the CD drive instead of the hard drive when starting up? Sorry if this is a silly question... Im kinda new at this.

cheers!
VDX
July 08, 2008 05:11PM
... you have to change the boot-order in your bios - CD/DVD prior to HD ...
July 08, 2008 05:22PM
That's something you usually can set in your BIOS, which provides
simple text+graphics start-up screen you encounter when you turn on or restart your computer, before it finds your operating system
(e.g. Windows, Linux, etc.). It will probably tell you
"To change bios settings, hold down F2" or something similar when booting up. That's where you'd modify this setting.
[www.pcguide.com]

For instructions specific to your computer/motherboard, check your documentation or google "your_version_motherboard BIOS settings".
July 08, 2008 05:35PM
I caught something in your original post, "When I put the disc into the pc ReprapLiveDVD-0.6.iso comes up in a window under D:\ drive."

This means that you burnt the CD image ReprapLiveDVD-0.6.iso onto a CD like any other file. This, unfortunately, won't work, and your computer will not be able to boot from the resulting CD. What you need to do is burn the image to the CD like an image instead of a file. The way you do this depends on your program, but it'll be something in the menus like "Burn ISO image," "Burn CD image," or "Open CD image". What program are you using to burn images?
July 08, 2008 05:53PM
Andy,

My pc does not have a burner so I am using a mac to burn it. I am just dragging the files onto the dvd on the desk top then dragging the dvd to the burn icon.

Incidentally using this method I was unable to fit all of the ReprapLiveCD-0.4.iso onto a single cd. This is why I choose to use the dvd version. Is there a better way burn these disks?

cheers!
July 08, 2008 06:48PM
Ok!

I got it to work. Burning the cd on toast and pressing F12 when the machine restarts.

Sorry for all of the stupid questions.

Im sure there will be more in the days to come.

thanks all!
Anonymous User
July 08, 2008 08:04PM
For future reference I believe you can burn a iso image to a cd using the disk utility on os x.

As memory serves you find "Disk Utility" under Applications/Utilities.
July 08, 2008 08:58PM
No problem! smiling smiley I'm glad you got it to work! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login