Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PCB Plotting what software

Posted by zandor 
PCB Plotting what software
January 25, 2013 06:12PM
Hi There...Googling the subject of PCB plotting on a Prusa yields little in the way of what software is being used to do the plotting. Info is thin on the ground. What I'd like to know is which software front end to use. I'm running pronterface with slicer3 and I see nowhere that I can specify a "PCB pen" as the extruder". The PCB pen needs to retract (penup) when making a non drawing move otherwise the whole exercise is next to useless

I'm not interested in pcb to gerber or gerber to gcode, I know all that. There needs to be some way of telling the slicer or skeinforge to create gcode for plotting (milling is similar) so that the pen retract is made at the correct location. This is essentially Z retract in the CAM domain. The main link under PCB plotting here at reprap.org is a nice writeup but more of a teaser.

If I want to do PCB milling I'll do that on my CNC mill, I want to experiement with the plotting features which appear to be very neat.

Zandor.
Re: PCB Plotting what software
September 26, 2013 12:25PM
There is no support for this in slicer but skeinforge has support for end milling and laser cutting profiles. I'm still trying to get to the best way to use it myself for engraving, resist pen plotting and light milling.

There is also gcodetools which works as an inkscape plugin but it seems to generate a different flavor of g-code and I haven't quite figured out how to adapt it to my purposes yet. Skeinforge seems the best way forward for CNC milling, etching, laser cutting, engraving, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login