Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to download the new host software

Posted by andy hall 
How to download the new host software
November 08, 2008 09:36AM
I have seen the new host software on the main blog but cannot see how to download it and get it running on my (windows Xp) computer.

Can anyone help?

Andy
sid
Re: How to download the new host software
November 08, 2008 12:31PM
afaik there's no precompiled version on the server.
you'll find the sources on the linked page to compile it yourself

'sid
November 10, 2008 08:23AM
Could someone upload the jar of the new version please?
sid
November 10, 2008 01:03PM
perhaps it's best to wait until it's finished and released winking smiley

'sid
November 21, 2008 12:41PM
I believe uploading a precompiled version of the software would be beneficial to both developers and users. Think of it as a beta test. (I tried to compile it myself but ran into some problems that I could not solve...) Now that we've seen the pics of what it looks like, let the lay user actually get their hands on it...
sid
November 21, 2008 06:34PM
No it's not benefical for developers to have an unfinished subversion given to the naive users.
Too much "why is this and that not like that and those?"
Too much "why isn't ... working yet, why can't I do ...."
in short:
comments that are not helping to solve current problems, nor improving the software.

If you know what to do to improve the subversion to finish it, or can help the software in any way, you'll surely know how to compile it yourself winking smiley

Be patient.

Just because you're courious enough to want something badly it wont be faster available winking smiley
I know it's hard... I'm waiting for a piece of software really badly but it wont help sad smiley

'sid
emt
November 22, 2008 10:12AM
Hi Sid

2 sides to this.

So called naive users often can help in the test process by their naivety.

Developers sometimes lose sight of the fact that things that are second nature to them are not at all obvious to new users and that can make some software hard to use.

Also I haven't seen much evidence of too much "why is this and that not like that and those?"
Too much "why isn't ... working yet, why can't I do ...."
on this Forum so I think on the whole people actually building and using Reprap could be trusted with a precompiled version and it would be more of a help than a hindrance to the development cycle.

I personally have learned a great deal from attempting to keep up with all the software and electronic developments the Reprap has gone through.

Regards

Ian
sid
November 22, 2008 11:18AM
Well Ian this is partly true winking smiley

You cannot help someone that doesn't want any help at the moment winking smiley

If the developer of the software has the feeling that he needs help, he will surely let us know.
At this stage I guess it'll only be some suggestions that come from naive users,
suggestions that are either unwanted or unnecessary,
don't get me wrong, some suggestions may be a good idea, but you'll have to respect the way developers are doing "their thing".

True, I'd love to get the new host myself, I don't have any java compiler handy and I don't think I'll install any just for that purpose,
but the thing is, I program myself... not in java unfortunately 'cause that may help you and me at this very moment... but I do, and I don't like it mysef to be rushed, I like to solve problems first and add things where and how I would like them to be (a question of false haughtiness perhaps ; // umm.. is that the correct term here?) and that's why I only ask people to help or make suggestions when I think I'm done or stuck.

And because of that I myself don't have any right to ask for something I wouldn't give away myself winking smiley
(the non compiled version is more than I would have made available yet winking smiley)

And yes, most questions and suggestions in this forum are well worth to read,
but there are some I'd love to forget; mostly the repetitions of threads you've read some weeks earlier from a new guy who just jumped in to ask a question that hass already been answered several times.
No offense though, I know it's hard to read everything or to find the proper search terms, or find the search.php at all ( I do forget myself sometimes)
But that's exactly what's annoying most, especially if you're trying to get things done.

Just my opinion for sure,
I cannot and i will not speak for any other person,
so take it as a :
"Why 'sid thinks there is no compiled java available" grinning smiley

'sid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login