Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

good suggestions for hosting a Reprap webcam?

Posted by Wade 
good suggestions for hosting a Reprap webcam?
November 08, 2008 10:07PM
Much to my surprise, I don't seem to have any web space available at the moment.

Here's what I want to do - put my Reprap webcam on the web.

Looks like I can run the utility "webcam" to ftp updated images every, say minute or so to a webserver. Great. I can build a super simple webpage. But, I need some space somewhere - I'm on a shared internet connection, and the other folks won't like me killing the link with upstream traffic.

Anyone got any ideas? Looked at google sites, but no FTP access. It's been a few years since I've had my own webpage, but I used to run a kitesurfing forum using PHP; this should be pretty simple compared to that.

Also, any cool suggestions as to improvements would be good. So far I've got an old A75 digital camera that I could use for higher resolution shots or even time lapse movies using something called "capture", and a little X Y servo mount I built for panning, but that'll be for later. First I'd just like to get something online.

Wade
sid
Re: good suggestions for hosting a Reprap webcam?
November 09, 2008 03:16AM
if it's nothing but a webcam you (and you alone) want to check,
get yourself xampp (a complete webserver package ) install that to your disk and use that as webspace, you can also use one of those dynamic dns services for easier access.

Or take a close look to your isp's homepage, most isp offer free webspace for customers.

or you may take a lokk at this:
[www.freewebspacereview.net]

'sid
Shoot me an e-mail, and we'll talk turkey--I've got scads of space and bandwidth lying around at the moment.
November 10, 2008 03:49PM
Sid, I've got dyndns up and running nicely, but I don't have huge amounts up upload bandwidth, so I want to host the site somewhere else.

My own ISP (rogers) seems to want me to put my homepage on Geocities; guess that'll work, but I was looking for some specific recommendations - anyone have good luck with the any free site in particular?

Pyros, I tried your listed email, but it bounced. Send me a note at wbortz at gmail dot com if you're still interested.

Thanks!

Wade
Pyros
November 10, 2008 04:37PM
Well, I have been a bit late at paying the hoster, so it should be working now this time. tongue sticking out smiley

But I'll email you instead.
November 11, 2008 10:20AM
There is a free webcam community site called "Stickam.com" where you can make your RepRap webcam stream available to the public. It's a streaming system so you get moving video (not periodic frames) and sound.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login