Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with Mac OS X software

Posted by Holger 
Problems with Mac OS X software
November 23, 2008 03:24PM
Hello everybody,

I maybe want to try to build a RepRap. I'm kinda fascinated by the idea of assembling one winking smiley

However I didn't get too far today. I tried to install the software as described here on my Mac Os X 10.5 System:

[www.reprap.org]

I'm using Java6, patched RxTx as described, after installing I get the following:

----- snip -----
> ./reprap-host.sh
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/java/librxtxSerial.jnilib:
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1822)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1739)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030)
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
at org.reprap.comms.snap.SNAPCommunicator.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main.initComms(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main.access$2200(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main$22.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:300)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:210)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:195)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:187)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)
----- snap -----

I can't make anything from this. The file /usr/lib/java/librxtxSerial.jnilib exists. A file called RXTXCommDriver doesn't on my system. Is there a lib missing?

Greetings and thanks for any help,
Holger
Re: Problems with Mac OS X software
November 23, 2008 10:15PM
Greetings Holger,

Yes, you DO need the RXTX serial library as referenced in [www.reprap.org]. It is used by the host software I believe.

You need to download the rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip from the links there or from the RXTX website it references.

On Windows XP all I needed to do was to unpack the rxtx-2.1-7-bins-r2.zip, taking the jar and two dlls and placing them in the Java\lib\ext directory and it all works.

I can see a file called librxtxSerial.jnlib in the zip file I have and it is in a directory called Mac_OS_X. I suspect this is the one you want but not sure what else you need from the zip.

Regards, Ross
November 24, 2008 05:27AM
Hello,

as mentioned, I did everything as described. I also downloaded, patched and installed rxtx as described in the wiki page. The Problem is more with the gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver I guess. Maybe someone else is experiencing the same problems?

Greetings,
Holger
November 24, 2008 10:49AM
Looks like you didn't build the 64-bit version of RXTX as described in the RepRp software installation instructions for Mac: [reprap.org] .

"Note! For Mac OS X 10.5, Java 6 is 64-bit only, which means that the jni libraries below must be installed also in 64-bit version (see more info below)."

That page also mentions that the 64-bit version of RXTX has to be built from source:

"64-bit version (Java 6 on Mac OS X 10.5)
At the moment, needs to be built from source.
Download source: [ftp.qbang.org]
Patch instructions: [mailman.qbang.org]"

The patch instructions say:
"Symptom:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/Library/Java/Extensions/librxtxSerial.jnilib: thrown while loading
gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Problems with java on Kubuntu
December 04, 2008 06:40AM
Hi,
I also try to get the reprap software working on a Kubuntu 8.10 machine without a serial adapter. I get the same

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

although I faithfully followed the instructions. But over the years Java never really seems to work for me :-(

So, what should I check?
Re: Problems with java on Kubuntu
December 04, 2008 07:16AM
1) which Java do you have installed
2) what classpath are you using? Have you checked that each file is present and that the .so files are in the correct jre/lib/i386 directory.
3) add -verbose:class to the java command in the reprap-host shell script and report which class is the first to fail.

David
February 01, 2009 01:24PM
Did you get it to work? I just managed to get talking with my Arduino on a Max OS X 10.5.6. Removed the rxtx stuff that was (maybe by default, maybe from a prior install) in the Java Extensions folder, then ./configure --disable-lockfiles, edited the Makefile as per [mailman.qbang.org] (both CFLAGS and cc -bundle lines), ran make and sudo make install, and now it works. Oh, also made myself a member of the wheel group, don't know that that did anything. But I now have the pin 13 LED happily blinking on and off, and can continue to getting meself some hardware!

-Lars Clausen
To get RXTX to work properly you also need to patch the SerialImpl.c/.h files. I posted a link to the corrected librxtxSerial.jnilib file here: [iharder.sourceforge.net]

-Rob
February 04, 2009 01:00PM
Thank you, Robert. I hadn't noticed that. The patch posted at iharder was broken by formatting. I'm attaching a working (well, compiling at least) version.
Attachments:
open | download - serialimp.patch (3 KB)
February 07, 2009 03:58PM
I'm also trying to install the software on 10.5 but I wasn't using the intructions on [www.reprap.org] because that page says in friendly letters: "This Page Is Obsolete. See here for the current instructions."
Well actually there are no instructions there...
So, what instructions to use? The obsolete? Im a bit confused there...
February 07, 2009 04:23PM
I used the obsolete instructions and the modifications mentioned in this thread, and got so far as to programming my Arduino, which should be most of the work.

-Lars
February 07, 2009 04:46PM
ok, tried again using those instructions but still nothing. I cant start reprap.jar, got an error that it cant be started and that i should check the console.
February 08, 2009 02:44AM
Running it from Terminal would give you more info. It should be enough to do java -jar , where is the name of your jar file (including path if you're not in the same dir).
February 08, 2009 04:19AM
aha, voila:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/io/PortInUseException
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: gnu.io.PortInUseException
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:288)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)

Think I read that before in another thread.
Why cant you just run the soft without serial, its just for testing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 05:40AM by unfold.
February 08, 2009 04:52AM
mmm... found the thread but doesn't help.

tried to pull the RXTX lib from inside Processing 1.0. Threw it in the host software folder and the main Java extensions folder. Now I get something, it starts and I get the exact error from the first post in this thread.

Then tried to use the iharder one and now RXTX seems to run fine but i get the next one:

Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Error opening port: /dev/ttyUSB0
Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/j3d/renderer/java3d/loaders/STLLoader
at org.reprap.gui.STLObject.loadSingleSTL(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.STLObject.addSTL(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.RepRapBuild.createSceneBranchGroup(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.Panel3D.initJava3d(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.Panel3D.initialise(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.gui.RepRapBuild.(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main.createAndShowGUI(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main.access$1500(Unknown Source)
at org.reprap.Main$9.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:300)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:210)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:195)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:187)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.j3d.renderer.java3d.loaders.STLLoader
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:288)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)
... 17 more

That last line makes me give up eye popping smiley me not like java.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 05:40AM by unfold.
February 20, 2009 04:10PM
On OSX 10.4.11 I get the following log. Only one window opens. Can someone tell me how to get the program to run in "Gcode mode?" I do not have anything connected to the serial ports at present.

-julie

===== Friday, January 23, 2009 2:34:48 PM US/Pacific =====
Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
Error opening port: /dev/ttyUSB0
Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdesktop/layout/GroupLayout$Group
	at org.reprap.Main$9.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
February 21, 2009 05:20PM
I'm interested in a serial less version to since I'll run from cards.
February 23, 2009 07:05AM
Just went for the Skeinforge + ReplicatorG combo today and must say that this runs fine (simulation). The only hickup was that I set my Java preferences to prefer Java 6 over 5 before and therefore ReplicatorG crashed after a test run.
Hi there,

Well I.m trying to follow the instructions of Zach Shelby (http://mailman.qbang.org/pipermail/rxtx/2008-May/2510291.html), but I dot´n know do it, I can´t use ./configure, maybe I have a problem with commands. confused smiley

Someone can explain in a way more simple.

Thanks. smiling smiley
Hi there,

Well I.m trying to follow the instructions of Zach Shelby instructions, but I dot´n know do it, I can´t use ./configure, maybe I have a problem with commands. confused smiley

Someone can explain in a way more simple.

Thanks. smiling smiley
November 23, 2009 06:16AM
hi

I hav recently bought a mac mini, it has leopard OS 10.5.8 and safari 4.0.2. I'm trying to open a website that has java applet in it for login section. unfortunately, the applet is not getting loaded. Its throwing classNotFoundException. Could anyone help in resolving the same?

Thanks in advance for the help

Thanks
Jay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login