Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting a little frustrated...

Posted by Rick 
Getting a little frustrated...
December 14, 2008 01:28PM
Having some difficulty with my McWire. Not sure if I have a comms problem or a hardware problem or goodness knows what kind of problem...I'm looking for a bit of insight...

Currently runing Windows XP Pro, Arduino 11 complied Firmware. If using the stepper tester in the RepRap Host Software, move the slider to the right, and the motors move forward. While moving forward, if I block an Endstop, the motor keeps moving, ignoring the Endstop signals from either min or max. . When I move the slider back to the left, the motor stops, but does not reverse travel.
This behavior is systemic for all axis.

If I load a modified stepper tester to the Arduino (using the same pin assignment as the Host Software), the motors and endstops behave as expected. Meaning the motors travel forward and backward and when the endstop is blocked, it sends the signal back stating as such.

In a nutshell, it seems to work when the commands are static. Compiled and sent to the Arduino chip with no changes issued during operation. It seems to go to hell when realtime commands are issued. Any tips for debugging would be appreciated.

- Rick

A chicken has a head the size of a walnut. Yet, even it has the sense to come in out of the rain.
sid
Re: Getting a little frustrated...
December 14, 2008 02:19PM
I've read this issue before afair...

there's something wrong with the limit switches..
either they are always on or always off (can't remember really)

IIRC it was LEAV having this problem, maybe you'll find his issue using the search.

sorry for not being able to tell exactly

'sid

[edit]
found it:
[forums.reprap.org]

just read on, maybe it's the same error you have winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 02:21PM by sid.
December 14, 2008 05:49PM
Identical. Inverted Endstops...whoda' thunk it.

Changed the setting in the GCode firmware and managed to get ye olde McWire to do something (finally). But I'm not sure it's doing what it's supposed to...while using ReplicatorG v2 seems to go through the homing sequence, but when it goes to build it brings the Z axis back to what I would consider to be "Home", ie all the way to the top. Probably just need to change a little to make "Home" close to the X-Y Stages. On another note...can't seem to figure out where to change the code for the Host Software. Not that I mind using RepG v2...it just freezes on me when it completes a simulated build...I'm worried about it freezing up on a "live" build.

Thanks for the help Sid...(and Leav, et al)

- Rick

A chicken has a head the size of a walnut. Yet, even it has the sense to come in out of the rain.
December 14, 2008 07:07PM
I think home for Z is when the extruder is on the bed, not at the top. Perhaps you have your z-axis inverted.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 15, 2008 07:43AM
Swapped the Z Axis Endstops and switched polarity on the Stepper and all seems right with the world...well, nearly. When using ReplicatorG v2 on my Windows machine, it homes in at the start of the build, but seems to hang up when it starts to draw the raft.

Since I don't currently have an extruder hooked up, is it possible that the software looking for the extruder feedback (temp, motor, etc) is what is causing the hang up? I'll comment it out and see later this week (stupid real life commitments). Haven't attempted to run the host software since the latest fix. I was too tickled to see the darn thing move to chance anything else.

On a side note, I've also been working on getting Ubuntu up and running. Not too Linux savvy, so this is kinda fun. I can talk to the Arduino with the Arduino software, but I get a com error (serial not responding) when I try to talk to it with ReplicatorG v2. Ubuntu is intermittently recognizing my NIC, sometimes it works and I can get online...sometimes, I can't. Fun, fun, fun. I'll get it all figured out. Thanks to all for the help!

- Rick

December 19, 2008 09:18PM
Ok. Managed to get the Host Software working. For whatever reason the Arduino wasn't overwriting the LinearAxis.o file on a new compile unless I deleted it from the folder. Probably in the documentation somewhere...

Next challenge. I really want to see it move of its own accord and I'm reallly close. Currently I do not have an extruder hooked up and (as expected) when I start a build, I get a pop up explaining how we're waiting for the extruder to heat up. What do I need to do to have the Host Software ignore the extruder? Thanks in advance.

- Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login