Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Java library installation on Linux

Posted by jmarsden 
Java library installation on Linux
May 25, 2007 03:11PM
Some folks seem to have had difficulty installing the Java3D and comm libraries in the right place. Adrian's instructions say "cd to the Java run-time environment directory" without defining how to figure out where that is. I think that has been a source of confusion.

So, there is now a Wiki page WhereIsMyJRE [www.reprap.org] with details about that. It is supposedly linked to from the RepRapLinuxSoftware page, but right now the links seem to only work when I am logged in to the Wiki, which is really weird...

Anyway, please check out the page and let me know if it is useful. This is just a temporary step towards a much more automated install process, but since I've already explained to more than one Reprapper where this directory is... I made a Wiki page about it!

Jonathan
Re: Java library installation on Linux
May 25, 2007 03:45PM
Jonathan. It's really great having you on board helping us sort out the Java problems people have been having. I only wish you'd come on to the team a year ago. smileys with beer
May 25, 2007 04:12PM
Forrest Higgs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's really great having you on board helping us sort
> out the Java problems people have been having.

Thanks! If you (or Adrian, or whoever has the "power" and the time to do it!) can get me "developer" status on the Reprap project on SourceForge, I'll be more able to put useful things up there where they should be.

Just so you know, I'm not a serious Java developer. I *am* a pro software dev. and network admin, but relatively new to Java. It may be more than I can handle to expect me to refactor the Java code to use less memory, etc etc. -- but overall automated software build, test, packaging and ease of installation stuff I can definitely help with.

Jonathan
May 25, 2007 04:16PM
It will have to be Adrian, not me. He does those assignments.

I don't think anybody is expecting you to be a "pro". It's just that you seem to be doing very useful work attacking the problem. Now that we're getting more people trying to get the java code running on a variety of different machines the problems with our procedures and documentation are becoming a lot easier to identify.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login