Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First reprap-host .deb package

Posted by reece.arnott 
First reprap-host .deb package
February 13, 2009 05:59AM
I have changed the host-package-release script in SVN as well as tweaked the debian folder for the reprap host software so the script will now create a .deb file as well as the zip file previously released.

I attempted to attach the .deb package it created but its larger than the forum file attachment limit, so could someone with access to the Host software portion of the sourceforge site please run the script and upload the resulting .deb file please (after looking at it to see if I made any stupid mistakes as its my first debian packaging attempt).

Currently it is very simple and takes as the basis the files incorporated into the linux zip file, puts them in /usr/lib/reprap, splits out the readme into the correct documentation folder and adds a man entry and Gnome menu item.

I can't take much credit for it as 90% of the work was previously done by Jonathan Marsden and Petter Reinholdtsen.

If there's anything wrong with it though, it's probably my fault :-)

I have tested it on my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop with the additional debhelper and devscripts packages installed.
Re: First reprap-host .deb package
February 13, 2009 06:17AM
Is your intent that this should be uploaded to the Debian and Ubuntu repositories or that RepRap should maintain its own respository. I hope the former, and I hope that you are targetting this at both Debian and Ubuntu, not just Ubuntu.

If you try to upload it to Debian, then you may find that the rework that I started and Adrian finished to get everything in the same directory causes some problems. I guess they will not like having multiple copies of RXTX and Java3D in the system. RXTX has been in Debian for a while, and I see that Java3D is on its way in currently. I would be happy to rework the script to work with the standard Debian setup if you want, and then you would just need to add the relevant dependancies.

David
February 13, 2009 04:44PM
Yes, its a bit of a hack-around at the moment so in the short term I would think it should only be hosted by Reprap but in the longer term I would like to see it go into the Debian and Ubuntu repositories.

For that to happen there needs to be more work done but mostly it won't be directly on the reprap-host package. A couple of new .deb packages need to be created for the java3D stuff (there are placeholder dependencies that I commented out which can be put back in when that is done) but I'm not sure how far along that it is. I do know that the guy who started doing it just didn't have time so if anyone wanted to help out the place to start is this thread: [lists.debian.org]

Then if the reprap-host script was split off into a bin folder and given enough smarts to be able to find the other libraries etc. it would probably be good enough.

I just wanted to get something that worked out there so that when people (maybe me in a few months when I have had more time to play with everything) have time to do the other stuff it is easy enough to graft it on.
February 13, 2009 04:51PM
Petter may have given up, but Daniel has actually build packages and uploaded them to unstable. Its there and working!

David
February 14, 2009 05:41AM
Correction. Forget the last note from me - too late at night.

There are now java3d and vecmath packages in the queue for sid, so in the very near future (presumably after lenny gets out and after the rush of new material that has been backed up during the freeze had been let loose) they will both be in sid.

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login