Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ubuntu Installs from LiveCD

Posted by pingiscoolest 
Ubuntu Installs from LiveCD
March 02, 2009 11:08PM
I am trying to create a live CD to run the RepRap host software from. I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a disc. I inserted the disc into the drive of my Ubuntu 8.10 system and restarted. While it was booting up I pressed the F11 key to bring up a boot menu. I selected CD/DVD drive and it started to run. When it came up, it looked exactly like a Ubuntu Installation discconfused smiley... Is this supposed to happen? What should I do? Do I install Ubuntu from that disc and it already has the RepRap software installed? I'm Confused..... Thanks in advance for all your posts

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes my Avatar is My RepStrap.....Isn't it pretty

For the latest Updates check my main site [www.repstrap.weebly.com] or my blog [www.pingiscoolest.blogspot.com].
Re: Ubuntu Installs from LiveCD
March 03, 2009 01:59AM
Yes the current LiveCD (0.6 or 0.7) looks just like a normal Ubuntu LiveCD until it boots.

Once its booted you will see extra icons on the desktop and in the menus. Read the readme on the desktop for more complete information of what is there once its booted.

Note that both versions of the LiveCD are now quite out of date and the look and feel of the reprap-host software has changed considerably. Also, there is no software for programming the Ardunio based electronics but some of the additional tools are for querying the PIC based electronics.

And one last thing, the 0.7 version was created at just the wrong time so there are a few issues.

I am very slowly getting around to do a new version which will have updated versions of the software and a different boot menu logo so it won't be so confusing.
March 03, 2009 08:57AM
OK thanks I dont mind doing it this way I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with 2 of the same OS on my computer spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. Is there a "post" (not sure what to call it) on the wiki that talks about the LiveCD? I looked but couldn't find one.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

For the latest Updates check my main site [www.repstrap.weebly.com] or my blog [www.pingiscoolest.blogspot.com].
March 04, 2009 05:58AM
No, there are no additional pages on the wiki except for the main one [reprap.org]

There just didn't seem much point as pretty much all you'd want to know would be in the changelog or readme on the CD itself. Maybe somebody with wiki access could add a few lines and point to the appropriate Ubuntu screenshots and documentation to avoid this confusion in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 06:56AM by Reece Arnott.
March 04, 2009 09:17PM
Well I upgraded to DVD LiveCD so that works well thanks for your help. I have an old laptop with a cracked screen that will probably become a dedicated RepStap PC, then maybe I can figure something out so I can just load the .aoi file to a flash drive and stick the drive in my laptop. The laptop could then convert the file to a .stl and print it. Maybe I'm dreaming who knows. Again thanks for your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login