June 19, 2007 08:49PM
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.MainDean>java-version
'java-version' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.MainDean>java -version
java version "1.5.0_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.MainDean>
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\lib\ext and the rxtxserial and rxtx
parallel.dll are in there and C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\lib\i386.
Re: RepRap under Windows
June 20, 2007 11:55AM
That all looks fine.

Did you test your comms using HyperTerminal or similar per the Wiki? Does that work (you get character echo) OK?

This is starting to sound like I need to hurry up and see whether poke can be compiled and run under Cygwin, so Windows users can test with it...!

Jonathan
Anonymous User
June 20, 2007 12:49PM
I have a problem with the UCB. When I short the Tx to RX, the stepper exerciser screen comes up. I checked the firmware by reading the chip and verifying it against stepmotor.hex and it verifies. I checked that pin 8 of the pic is transmit and pin 7 is received, (I checked continuity). When I remove and short rx to TX, the screen comes up. My diagnostic LED is lit and I have reflowed all solder connections. I wonder is this un silkscreened board has errors. I need to get the schematic and check it out. I had my transmit crossed to the UCB received and visa versa. I am getting "Receive error, re-sending: timeout receiving byte. I checked continuity from the comm board received to pin 8 of the pic and from pin7 to transmit on the Comm board! I removed the connections from the UCB and shorted Rx to TX and got the exerciser screen, so the comm board is OK
Anonymous User
June 20, 2007 03:30PM
I de-energized and pulled the pic and shorted pin 7 to 8 all the way back to the computer and the stepper exerciser came up. So from the PIC RX and TX, back everything is OK. The programmer shows the PIC is programmed with stepmotor.hex, (it verifies) and the LED comes on, it just doesn't speak to the computer
Anonymous User
June 20, 2007 05:37PM
Does anyone know how to poke bytes to the PIC on a windows xp machine? I want to check if the pic is listening. As I said I removed the pic and shorted pin sockets 8 to 7 and the stepper exerciser came up, so it is a problem with the hex code or my computer software
June 20, 2007 09:05PM
Cygwin does work on xp. I think I've posted info on where to get started. I went with the info found in the manual for sdcc setup.
Anonymous User
June 20, 2007 09:24PM
I downloaded it. I am using com2 on a usb port. echo 0|./poke -d 2 -t /dev/ttyS2 -v -w, is this correct? I am using com2, so ttyS2, right? I tried it and it said,./poke: no such file or directory
June 21, 2007 12:35AM
Linux/unix devices count from zero, so usually /dev/ttyS0 == COM1 and /dev/ttyS1 == COM2. I think... this Windows laptop has no serial ports :-) I have no idea what Cygwin does with USB-created serial ports -- maybe /dev/ttyUSB0 etc.?

Jonathan
Anonymous User
June 21, 2007 07:56AM
I have found that unzipping files should be done with 7ZIP and in the lib\ext file you need the DLL files rxtxserial and rxtxparallel. They are also in the lib\386i folder. I removed them from the lib\ext and when I attempted to start the stepper exercisor, it mentioned those files out of the path! I now reinstalled them in lib\ext and now I am sending code out, but timing out on a return byte, same as before. Should the jre 1.50-11 folder be in the ProgramFile\Java with the Java3d Folder?
June 22, 2007 12:45AM
This seems very odd. Those .dll files are native code libraries, not Java bytecode, and so officially "should" be in ...\jre\lib\i386 not ...\jre\lib\ext unless I am very confused indeed (which is possible, I admit!). What does:

class extdirs {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.ext.dirs"));
}
}

display when compiled and run on your system?

Maybe check the java.library.path property too. I'm not sure if it is relevant to this issue or not.

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login