Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Propeller Plug

Posted by Grogyan 
Propeller Plug
July 02, 2009 01:54AM
Second question, i'd like to ask is,
Has anyone here used a Parallax Propeller plug, modified to work for the zBasic and BasicX24 micro controllers, works ok for the Arduino/Sanguino?

Edit: The mod is [www.zbasic.net]

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 02:13AM by Grogyan.
Re: Propeller Plug
July 04, 2009 05:09PM
I was hoping not to do this, but seeing as i've had no response, i'm guessing nobody knows.

I am going to modify my prop plug, again, to work with the BasicX24, as well as the Default mode, by use of a slide switch
The 10nF capacitor in series to the base of the transistor
and
The 150Ohm in series to the !Reset (! means NOT)
The common line to both for the switch will go to the pad of the capacitor that leads to pin 31 of the FT232QR.

I've already salavaged a small slide switch to do the job.

After that, i'll just make a cable adapter between the Sanguino and the Prop plug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 06:05PM by Grogyan.
July 06, 2009 07:18AM
Mods done, and adapter cable made.

Still no luck programming the device

Gary T
July 11, 2009 01:54AM
Your funny Grael
Grael's post was lost with the server being down)

After this weekend i'll be trying to find a USB to TTL cable that is compatible with the Arduino, as I am not getting anywhere with the propeller plug.
I talked with Tim from MindKits on Friday night, he came around with the presentation from Vik at the RoboNz group, and they do have such an adapter.

In the mean time I am thinking that the bootloader isn't being programmed properly, and I would like to know if this error is normal with a successful re-write of the bootloader?

"USB read error: expected 128, got 112"

I am using USBTiny to program the bootloader
July 15, 2009 02:01AM
Update.

Got a compatible USB to TTL programmer from Tim Carr of www.mindkits.co.nz, which is identical to the one sold by SparkFun.

I managed to program 1 of 2 of my Sanguino boards. I got two boards, one Motherboard V1.2 and one Sanguino V1.0 board.

The Sanguino V1.0 programmed no problem, however my V1.2 motherboard doesn't program, both setups are approximately equal, ie one runs off a 12V pack and the other an ATX power supply, but other than they are the same. Both have the same bootloader, and both are being programmed with the same USB to TTL converter.

The error message is the same
"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51"

Meaning it can't talk back and forth.

At this stage it appears as though the chip may be fried, even though I was at a static free work station when I built it (at work).

Anyone got any deas of why it would do this?
The Oscillator as best as I can see is working (tried replacing it as well), the caps are all correct, no solder shorts as I can see, and no dry joints either.

If by Saturday I can't resolve this, i'll have to assume that the 644p is fried and will have to replace it
July 20, 2009 03:38AM
Yes, I'd go for a replacement of the AVR chip too. That's solved problems for me in the past, I've had several AVRs fry on their programmers and development kits. Nice micros to work with, but not particularly robust in that particular hardware scenario.

The STM32 ARM seems pretty robust so far, even for a 3.3 volt chip.

My CNC/extruder creation: [grael-minifactory.blogspot.com]
July 20, 2009 04:01AM
Thanks Grael,
I've got some friends who use AVR's in their business, and have got them to have a quick go with their programmer's, just to be sure, thing is dodgy on my side.

I'm also looking at replacing my BasicX chip for my robot with another that fits within the same form factor and has at least 8 ADCs, i'm not aware of that chip being packaged in roughly the same form factor as the BasicX. I breadboard just about everything on veroboard (strip board).
A quick nosey round and I see that the Arduino Nano will fit with small modifications.

But yeah, i've digressed a bit, with my friend looking at the chip, will determine if I am idiot and forgot something or the chip is fried. I have even emailed Zach about it, and he thinks the chip maybe ok, as I can program the bootloader with the LadyADA programmer. Time will tell, and i'll phone my friend in a day or two, to find out the status of it.

Cheers Grael
July 24, 2009 11:20PM
Seeing as I have a DIP Sanguino board anywway, that appears to be working (ie I can download and rund stuff from the Arduino IDE ok), i'll test every pin then hopefully if all goes well, i'll use that as it is supported by the mobo, till I can procure replacement bits from DigiKey.

I'll take the crystal and 644p TQFP

One thing I come to know from talking with my mates at RoboNZ, is the LadyADA ICP may or may not be supported by AVR studio (i'll investigate this) to flash the 644p directly without having to use the USB to Serial
July 26, 2009 04:33AM
I plugged in the Sanguino V1.0 board in today, and with the ATX power plugged in and the board turned off, the power LED on the Sanguino V1.0 glowed, measuring approx 3.5V.
After some hours I find that there is ~100 Ohms of resistance between the Rx and the 5VSB, but still don't know whats causing it
July 27, 2009 05:16AM
My last post in this topic.

The fault all along was a dud chip, and the 100 Oms of resistance was internal of the Atmel 644p that I got, lucky me, I get a dud out of thousands.
Even with the Chip removed, and using a meter directly onto the chip the 100Ohms between the Rx and 5V lines is very obvious.

Reason why I missed it before, was simply that I was listening to a beep from my meter, assuming that there was a short. Lesson learned, assume nothing, test all logical avenues.

So i'm gonna have to buy a new processor next payday, ordered from DigiKey, and i'll get a few other little bits as well that I can easily get from them.

Thanks everyone that helped.

Back to the original topic, now that I am using the Sanguino V1.0 temporarily, I decided to test once again downloading through a Parallax Prop Plug, and it indeed works, un-modified with the Sanguino and should also work for the Arduino.
The adapter cable that goes with it

The Black wire indicates ground, and should be the indicator to use when plugging into the 6 pin connector on the board

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 05:22AM by Grogyan.
CP
December 20, 2011 02:01AM
FWIW, I was able to use the prop plug to program a atmega328 with no problems. I had to connect TX from the prop plug to RX on the arduino, and vice versa.

Thanks!

CP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login