Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

G3 Extruder controller V2.2 Stepper/Thermocouple firmware

Posted by emt 
emt
G3 Extruder controller V2.2 Stepper/Thermocouple firmware
September 18, 2009 07:40AM
Hi

Is anyone using the generation 3 extruder controller with a stepper motor rather than the DC motor and a thermocouple rather than a thermister?

It looks like a bunch of #defines in the code.

Any tips or pointers appreciated, I haven't even worked out the connections to use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2009 09:18AM by emt.

Regards

Ian
Re: G3 Extruder controller V2.2 Stepper/Thermocouple firmware
September 18, 2009 11:27AM
I've got the same problem. I'm printing a pinch extruder(along with all the other parts for a new machine) and still can't find parts for the gen 3 electronics. There is a link to the 2nd gen electronics and how to set them up, but given the seperated controllers I'm not sure where to find the code.
emt
September 19, 2009 12:59PM
Hi

There seems to be 2 lots of firmware for generation 3

One version is being developed by Zach at Makerbot and the other is being developed by Dr Adrian Bowyer.

Zach's runs G code produced by Skeinforge with M codes controlling the extruder.

Adrian's runs G code produced by the host software and is referred to as 5D code as the extruder control is more sophisticated.

Zach's Generation 3 firmware page is here:-

[reprap.org].

If you want the link to the 5D stuff let me know and I will look it up.

Regards

Ian
September 19, 2009 05:22PM
So where is Adrian's code? All the links I've followed lead to one or other version of Zach's code, and it's pretty specific to makerbot hardware. I'm having to implement a lot of stuff myself, and I'd rather be building my bot.

Oak & Silicon
September 19, 2009 05:39PM
All the source code for RepRap hardware or software is in Sourceforge SVN

[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 05:40PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 19, 2009 06:22PM
Thanks, nophead. Adrian's code is a lot more readable than Zach's, but it seems to be a lot less developed. Here's a typical code fragment:

void extruder::set_temperature(int temp)
{

}

int extruder::get_temperature()
{
return 1;
}

Looks like this would be even more work! I'd better get back to my hacking.

Oak & Silicon
September 20, 2009 04:48AM
Odd as Adrian has posted several videos of it working.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 30, 2009 03:05AM
I think Adrian's and Zach's have diverged a bit. From what I can see the biggest difference is that more processing occurs on the motherboard for adrians firmware vs Zach's. This is most obvious in that thermistor values etc are all changed on the motherboard instead of the extruder.

I'm going to have a go at transplanting adrians stepper control codes over to Zach's firmware because I'm not sure how adrians works with skeinforge generated G-code (I've fallen in love with skeinforge as of late) and I can't get zach's code to run as a stepper.
emt
September 30, 2009 03:33AM
Hi

If you do complete this please let me know as I want to run stepper extruder and thermocouple on G3 electronics.

Adrian's code has the m functions removed so skeinforge will not work.

There are 2 other possibilities as I see it:-

1 is reinstate M codes into Adrian's firmware.

2 is to use Erik de Bruijn's script that converts skeinforge gcode to 5d gcode.

[objects.reprap.org]

Regards

Ian
Hi

Has anyone solved this?? I have sub-zero skill when it comes to programming, it seems like it is a simple matter of commenting and uncommenting the "motor_style" line in the code??
However I cant get the stepper to run.
Instead it still powers up the A coil as if running a motor.

Is the stepper support just written into the code for later development?

Thanks

Brett
emt
October 04, 2009 04:10PM
Hi

Are you in the States?

Best bet may be to look at makerbot web site and ask on the forum there or contact them by email and ask the code developer Adam Mayer.

For myself I bought the geared DC motor from makerbot and will use that.

Regards

Ian
October 04, 2009 04:21PM
Hi Ian,

Thanks I will try that.

I am in South Africa, I have been using a gear motor, but I'm trying (and have been semi-successfully for the last few months) to make an auger type extruder, to extrude granules.
I'm hoping for better results with a stepper motor and figured if the capability was there I would give it a try.

Regards,

Brett
emt
October 05, 2009 04:09AM
Hi Brett

If you do find anything on using steppers would you please post any info on this forum.

Regards

Ian
October 05, 2009 10:43PM
Wow, I just had the same question - how do you run a stepper driven extruder?

I've printed out a stepper driven pinchwheel extruder as well, and can't get it to run either. The only firmware I've come across that seems to support a pinchwheel is Adrian's 5d code, which I've downloaded from his directory in Subversion, here:
[reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

I'm trying to run the stepper driver directly from a Sanguino, as I don't have all the parts yet for the extruder controller, but the code seems to crash whenever I send it an E code.

Will keep you posted if I figure anything out.

Wade
October 07, 2009 02:51AM
I wanted to try using adrians, but I can't get the 3D to 5D script to work(skeinforge is great once you figure the thing out). I'm a bit of a dunce with php and couldn't work out how to run it. I set up an XAMP php server on my system and couldn't run the thing to input.
emt
October 07, 2009 04:41AM
Hi

It seems you can now use skeinforge for creating 5D code. Look in the preface section.

I have not worked out what the settings mean but I checked the G code and there is an E value there.

Regards

Ian
October 07, 2009 01:27PM
Still haven't had any luck. No one can seem to tell me whether the existing firmware is capable of running a stepper extruder.

Have had problems uploading 5d firmware, debug light on motherboard just flashes and I cant get it to do anything.

Anyone got that working??

Brett
emt
October 08, 2009 05:31AM
Hi

Do you mean the upload failed?

Or was the upload OK but you can't communicate from PC?

If you can't upload and have a USBtinyISP you can upload using the isp. This I recently discovered and it has solved load of uploading problems for me.

Details here:-

[www.arduino.cc]

Regards

Ian
October 11, 2009 01:43PM
I had similar problem, so for now I've bought a DC motor so i can wait for the firmware to get ready.
October 12, 2009 10:25AM
Hi Ian

Sorry reply took so long

Arduino software said the firmware uploaded fine, tried it twice then I got distracted.

Will try tackle it again soon hopefully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login