Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5D firmware and PWM modifications?

Posted by buzz 
5D firmware and PWM modifications?
October 09, 2009 01:45AM
Has anyone here used PWM in the 5D firmware?
I've got a repstrap running on 3D firmware + DC motor for extruder + encodere for feedback and it works well... but in converting over to the 5D firmware, I'm trying to port the PWM changes, and having trouble as the DDA is a very "step" driven logic.
My idea/code so-far is based on having a PWM driven DC motor+extruder simulate a stepper with a "virtual" step logic based on the encoder resolution. eg: a 4 slot encoder acts like a 4step/per/rev stepper ..... and I'm getting the code there but it's complicated, and I wondered if I'm just repeating someone elses hard work....?

Buzz.
Re: 5D firmware and PWM modifications?
October 09, 2009 03:30PM
I've been reading and still am reading up through both the 3G Sanguino and 5D GCode versions of the extruder, and just trying to figure out how to drive a DC motor with the 5D firmware, as it appears to be coded just for stepper motors only.

I'm using 3rd Gen electronics with the external extruder board, and I have little knowledge on how to strip out the stepper extruder to replace it with DC drive of the 3D code and hoping it will be 5D compatible
October 09, 2009 04:39PM
Just had a thought Buzz wouldn't this be what you and I are after?
[sourceforge.net]
October 10, 2009 05:18AM
the file you link to is for multi-arduino systems ( one for the extruder, and one for the XYZ table), and it uses RS485 communications between them. It does NOT have support for 5D gcode/s and acceleration.
October 11, 2009 04:10AM
Well if you are using a regular Arduino you won't be able to, though you can use an Arduino Mega, you just have to code in the pin setups yourself by the looks of it
October 11, 2009 09:55PM
....actually that's not strictly true. I believe the Arduino168 is incapable of it as it's only got 16K or memory, but the Arduino328 (becoming the new standard) has 32K of memory, so should be able to use the code. the Mega has 128K, so has *heaps* of memory.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login