Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

designing a program setup wizard tool for reprap

Posted by james villeneuve 
Re: designing a program setup wizard tool for reprap
December 02, 2009 02:52AM
Please post a copy of your program! Many of us would like to see it, and even help if possible.
December 02, 2009 03:34AM
James Villeneuve: read [catb.org] at some point, specifically the "release early, release often" mantra winking smiley

This part was printed in less than 6 minutes. Sorry for software delays . I was having some issues with printing. now i am going to do some setting to avoid warping of material, clean up the code some. the program has a lot of things it does. it modifies about 70 skeinforge variables on the fly with each stl file build. I use skein as the engine for stl conversion and layer code, but clean up the gcode a bit by parsing it and modifying code after wards. kinda cheating, but it is what is needed. I want the part to look a little better, and the briding to be calculated perfectly. there is still some warping around the circles. but it printed without the fan on, and in real time with no pauses between layers.

picture above is a usable reprap part.

can you imagine what it would be like if you could print all of mendel parts in less that a day?
I will release what i got in about 12hrs. I will then proceed with doing so every 2 weeks. I need to get the web page ready and set for bandwidth as the install is 90-110mb download.
December 03, 2009 06:17PM
Might I suggest that you use bit torrent or one of it variants to assist in the bandwidth issue. That way the user downloads the torrent file and the network does the distribution.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 03, 2009 06:38PM
why not post it (including the source) to github or something?

-------------
FiveD Firmware fork (supports Arduino Mega): [github.com]
reprapsource.com
here is the download link for the installation. the install is buggy, I'm in the middle of changing it.

you click on the zip file and then extract and run all the files. click installation.exe to run. it is a beginning beta, and not everything works. I will update over the weekend with the current updates.

BTW if you uninstall skein look for it in your home directory documents and settings\owner .skeinforge for example then delete all settings there to reset skein

this install includes:
python
psyco
meshlab
art of illusion
replicatorg
skeinforge
reprap host software
3d_simple (buggy still)
setup wizard. (click ignore on error when installing. file exists so it is fine)
anti warp software

this is a beta beta build. Not all errors are trapped, I will update again over the weekend, and add in revision control, in a few weeks after the comments are cleaned up i also will release the source code and begin the process of porting over at least the wizard to java.
also
This version has issues with melting of plastic above 10mm high! the fix exists in my personal build but is being tested. If you want to do it manually lower your temp settings during run to about 2-5 degrees above plastic temp required to extrude.

consider this version 0.01
test for perfect temp not implemented
quadrant temp cooling algorithm not implemented (super builds)
anti warp compensation is separate and not well defined
No normal or professional modes just high speed modes
No warnings ig you have not run wizard yet.

How to use. extract files. look for and run installation.exe
check that you agree. run all the install files.

-------------------------------------------------
Good luck, I'm trying to release it as i go. it will be rocky at first, but in a few builds it will get easy as intended to use.
since this is a beta there is a file called settings1 that allows changes to the most common settings in skin, with ratios set by the wizard. I'll provide instructions for that soon as well.

file download. try not to eat to much bandwidth please.
i ment settings in skienforge

also try the wizard first out. then the program should work.
December 04, 2009 02:11PM
The above provided link does not work. Here is a working link.

[profounddevices.com]

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
I am going to post a fix for the extruder thickness test. It sends a blank file. Also I will set its defaults to a normal machine medium, that way if you don't use test first it will at least have references to go by.

I'm looking for a multi platform language that is easy to program in. I am running into issues with file access as I need to be able to write and read g-code. I may end up with python. any ideas?

james
http://profounddevices.com/wizard.zip

This is the updated wizard tool part of install. uninstall wizard that came with main installation and reinstall this file. if the update does nothing then manually extract and place the wizard.exe file in program files/wizard directory. this program has a few fixes. again probably by Sunday night i will have another main install, with an auto update tool. I hope to include the temp compensation tools and video instructions.

james
I will be posting a set of fixes this coming weekend. i am in the middle of adding z axis x and y shift correction. basically i am improving the alignment of the tool in x and y axis so that the parts are all level. also a better temp algorithm will be created along with several fixes.

here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OvXwDEozJI
I'll be posting the updated code in a newer ide language such as net beans. it is java and has a fast and easy to learn gui interface. perfect for graphics! I would expect that my weekend release will be multi platform. i wonder if that multiplies the problems or not?
would anyone prefer the code be in pure java or python? i ran into java issues in my ubuntu machine. I'm trying to use 8.04 'hardy' to ensure emc2 can work as well as my software. Python is not GUI friendly but it is already installed, on ubuntu and i have it working on windows, so I assume that it is the best bet language. Net-beans also will allow me to do python. we will see. so again, any preference on java or python?

This is for 3d simple program. a program that is to simplify the user experience with setup for reprap
December 14, 2009 05:15AM
skeinforge is written in python, so that's a good one to stick with
December 18, 2009 12:36AM
thanks. anyone have experience with using eric? it is a python ide. I can't get it to work in windows, but i have it working on my ubuntu.
ok. i have got my application to work with wine, so for the short term it still can be written in vb. I will try to module the package, os different apps are in specific directories. also make the app so it runs from a command prompt as well. the program is graphics driven for easier use.

I have a few features ready for people to try.

draft mode and normal modes both work (still needs presentation mode)

I have a 3d view simulator

also before device prints is asks you what the temp is. basically to fins the cooling rate for the plastic before doing larger builds.

It also offers the ability to correct for misaligned prints, is able to alias the 3d geometry so that all built steps will appear lined up even on not so perfect built printers with alignment issues.

I hope to have this next build online soon. here is screen copy

how many people have access to the wine software? I have it will my distribution of ubuntu 8.04. 8.04 is also emc2 compatible.
anyone want to test if the simulator works (its a simple gcode interpreter that helps when you design something.)

if anyone can test to see if it works for them i would appreciate it. this is a test program to make the rest of my 3d simple program work on ubuntu, it also should work under the mac. in ubuntu/ mac you will need to install wine.

download file here

i plan to make my 3d simple app win compatable, and then start making parts of it in java/ or python. java has a great gui interfac, but sucks to install on ubuntu, python is compatible on any system, but it's gui tools are primitive.

james
December 21, 2009 06:50AM
I had wine with sketchup7 installed till last week when I crashed the hard drive. Using Ubuntu 9.10.

Will reinstall wine and give your program a try. Looks great! I'm just about ready to build a extruder...again. Have all three axis grinding along. Built a diy cnc.
I will be posting a ubuntu mac compatible version today or tomorrow.
I'm about done with a multi paltform release, and am stuck with one issue. that is skienforge and the status it shows at the command prompt.

I need your guys help with an issue, that is when i use wine, it does not show command prompt

so how do i wine and show a command propmt so you can see python status,

or how do i terminal thru wine and get python to run in a terminal from a shell from a wine application

the third option is do not show the terminal and have a message pop up saying process is running, and show you no status changes until file is completed.

I need this solved for the ubuntu,mac run. I know people want it in another language, but for now it is in a format that runs ubuntu, windows, mac...

This new install does away with all programs except meshlab. I have included a faster g code viewer then replicator g. I also have included a file previewer for knowing what stl, or gcodes you are printing. it previews files before loading them, and monitors your system for when an stl file is downloaded, or installed in particular folders. That means after you download an stl file the program pops up with a print dialog box, or automatically processes stl. In its menu settings it shows a python setup screen for comparing 3 groups of settings together (fast, normal, best), and it has the ability to fix alignment issues for those with repraps that have some alignment issues. Also i simplified the interface and made it more like a regular pritner driver would be.

I am hoping for the following to be ready as well,if not this version then the next release:

bridge speed correction: if a layer is a bridge layer it will go at correct speed to bridge.

high quality mode. ability to spread the surface and print really thin layers. about .06 to .1mm thick! (presentation mode.)

anyway. i need to hold off on releas till this weekend because of the issue with command prompts for skienforge as that is how we all know the status. If i don't have a solution by tommorow I'll just guestimate the completion time and have a count down status window with time remaining.

James
December 29, 2009 11:14PM
tried wineconsole?
December 29, 2009 11:43PM
James, are you still working on this? I am very much interested!
yes. i'm still working on it. i had a version that works on windows, but it was so buggy i never released it. i have working verision now that is working multiplatform with ubuntu 8.04 (important because it works on install with emc2) and windows and mac. I just have a few buggs like the one above in post.....

wineconsole runs from a terminal right? i want to launch a program from its program folder. i want to shell out to an application with dos prompt so a person can see what it is doing.

i need to shell out to a dos prompt or shell out to terminal. i want to programically shell to terminal python skeinforge\skeinforge_tools\carve.py mystl file or something like that

it should work, but doesn't with "eval cmd$ ..."
for those that ever use wine and want to control a unix app from wineconsole, here is how after much headache and wall bunting....
wineconsole /usr/bin/python skeinforge/skeinforge.py

or just shell out to /usr/bin/ (app)
i was stuck until now running windows version of python thru wine, and that is just nuts. now i run Linux python thru a shell from a windows gui in wine. it is about 4 times faster that way.

anyway, now i can finish making the app work for ubuntu. Windows works either way.

james
ok, here is the beta release compatible with ubuntu and mac. ubuntu users just make sure python and wine are installed, then unzip file to your .wine\drive_c directory or yur c directory so files should be in c:\3_printer. then run 3d_simple.exe

i do not have mac so i can not test it.if someone can test it with ubuntu on mac that would be helpf to know it runs. (wine needs to be installed on mac)

anyway this is a work in progress and you can see where i am heading.
this release is somewhat functional, however buggy and missing features
I cut out a lot of fat and made it easier to navigate

there are 3 print modes, and the settings work for that,

the program tells you how much longer a job will take,
it can preview files for you (stl preview is buggy and slow)

the program has its own software for simulation finished jobs

i have included python and psycho for windows installs in a folder.

the program download is currently 15meg down from the previous version of 100mb!

windows users will notice the auto run feature when a program is downloaded!
program is still buggy, and missing bridging correction and thin spreader for high resolution mode, but it is coming. also wizard program is in a folder. it has not been linked to main program, but should be run to setup your printer.

download 3d_simple beta

anyway next weekend i will try to have updated the bridging repair for slow thick perimiters and the spreading for supper high resolution. so you can print items out in under 5 minutes, or have commercial print quality at slower speed.

anyway till next update!
james
January 06, 2010 01:31AM
If you are still having bandwidth issues I can mirror the files if you like. Just let me know what files/folders you want mirrored and I'll upload them or send you some ftp info.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
thanks jeff,

wait two weeks for when i include an auto updater. after that it will not matter where the file is stored, updates will be controlled. I'm worried about headaches in revision control. thanks.

james
3d simple with some fixes and changes

this version has raft settings mostly working and saves settings. it also has the built in wizard. i just linked to it in program. it still needs some fine tuning (the wizard program). also python script is now linux based in ubuntu for speed.

also settings need to be figured out for different modes of print. although the settings are there for spread thin (where the tool head goes over without printing and smashes down the filament further for higher resolution it is not working yet.
also bridging feature is not working yet.

here is the download for latest update:3d_printer file

also next version will have the fix for spreading thin layers (making reprap printer capable of resolution in z axis of .01mm) and draft mode bridging speed fix, so the filiment will never sag. sorry i have a bug to fix with the program so i disabled those calls in program.

also i want to know how many people on this forum are average or better at programming, and what it would take to have 3 or 4 people help me with this. what started out as a simple wizard and features is a lot more complex and every fix i find leads to 3 or 4 more changes. for those interested in programming, what would you require to program updates for a section of code, or do you need the entire program? The language is vb and is compatible with some quirks to work with as part of wine project for ubuntu and mac. (no dll, system calls, restricted variables, some specifics to know if on linux or windows, for example)

anyway, stay tuned. I am still trying for the make it easy to use as a 2d printer. I anticipate that in a month time with 3 more updates this program will be usable enough for about anyone. It still needs an installation created, and it needs a lot of speed optimization. following that will be programming documentation for future development. this program is to be free to use.
January 11, 2010 11:07AM
For me, even if I am only working on a small part of a program it is easier to have all the source code so that I can compile and test my changes to make sure they integrate properly.

I would suggest if you want assistance in development to open up a subversion account, such as github, google code or sourceforge. This would make it easier for would-be developers to obtain the latest version of the source code and for you to track who makes what change and where. You can always keep an original copy and have all the changes to go branch development until you are ready to integrate them. Also, with these sites you can attach a license to your code (e.g. GPL) indicating your free-to-use etc.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login