Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile


Building firmware from source

Posted by scarll 
Building firmware from source
August 22, 2007 08:47AM
I started building my RepRap printer about a month ago and I'm now powering up my UCBs. I recently downloaded the source code for the processors and also the pre-compiled hex files. When I compare the hex files of what I compiled against the pre-compiled binaries, they don't match. Does the most current version on the trunk match the binaries that are on Source Forge or do I have a version mis-match? I always start a project like this by verifying that I can re-produce the binaries by doing my own build. I know that if I can re-produce them that I have have the tools properly installed.

I also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any version information in the Subversion repository, or I don't know where to look for it. I'm new to Subversion so that's entirely possible. I'm used to CVS version numbering which makes it easy to verify version numbers as a project progresses.

Thanks in advance...
Re: Building firmware from source
August 22, 2007 10:53AM

I'm not sure exactly whats going on with the firmware. Unfortunately, we don't have an active maintainer for that code right now. Simon wrote most of it, but he's been quiet lately.

I started tagging releases in subversion a while back, so you may want to try building the sources in /tags/firmware/1.0

here are the changes since the last release (on May 29, 2007). My guess is that its now building from the current SDCC version that is making the binaries different.

perhaps its time to do a new release. are there any firmware gurus out there that want to be the release maintainer for the firmware? there may be some free PCBs in it for you. =)

r611 | hoekstar | 2007-05-29 23:51:19 -0400 (Tue, 29 May 2007) | 2 lines

changes to the package release script. i had some minor mistakes in it

r613 | jmarsden | 2007-05-30 23:28:25 -0400 (Wed, 30 May 2007) | 2 lines

Use Perl to patch sdcc sources so they compile with a modern GCC. JM.

r614 | jmarsden | 2007-05-30 23:31:24 -0400 (Wed, 30 May 2007) | 3 lines

Improve code to use $FILELIST.
Use current YYYYMMDD date as a default version if none specified. JM.

r626 | adrian-bowyer | 2007-06-05 09:29:53 -0400 (Tue, 05 Jun 2007) | 3 lines

extruder changed to extruder_0_ and extruder_1_ added.
At the moment the two are identical, but extruder_1_
will become the paste extruder controller.
r655 | adrian-bowyer | 2007-06-10 19:07:00 -0400 (Sun, 10 Jun 2007) | 1 line

Fixed slightly dud checking I did when I added an extra extruder (sorry)...
r660 | adrian-bowyer | 2007-06-17 12:14:27 -0400 (Sun, 17 Jun 2007) | 2 lines

Forgot to uncomment the #define UNIVERSAL_PCB in
the previous commit. Sorry...
r662 | adrian-bowyer | 2007-06-18 15:20:14 -0400 (Mon, 18 Jun 2007) | 3 lines

Started to develop code for multiple extruders:
Extruder_1 is a simple on-off solenoid (for the coke
bottle/balloon extruder) at address 9.
r667 | adrian-bowyer | 2007-06-19 16:23:29 -0400 (Tue, 19 Jun 2007) | 6 lines

Provisional working version of the extruder_1 code for driving
the balloon/Coke-bottle extruder described at

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login