Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Errors when running reprap host software

Posted by greenarrow 
Errors when running reprap host software
October 27, 2007 11:20AM
I've tried to installed the reprap host software (with all the required libraries) and it installs fine but when i try to run it i get errors. I have an nvidia graphics card (nvidia proprietary driver) but i don't get the error that is mentioned for nvidia cards. I've never done anything in java, i tried to follow up the errors but it didn't make much sense to me. Has anyone else had similar errors? It rather frustrating as i have most of the hardware ready to go smiling smiley

On another note, does anyone know if there is any documentation on the SNAP protocol anywhere on the wiki, as i would like to create a python library that allows control of the reprap.

Thanks,
Stef

Errors in linux:

Exception during event dispatch:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.reprap.gui.RepRapBuild
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
   at org.reprap.Main.createAndShowGUI(Unknown Source)
   at org.reprap.Main.access$2400(Unknown Source)
   at org.reprap.Main$23.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(libgcj.so.8rh)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(libgcj.so.8rh)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(libgcj.so.8rh)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.media.j3d.TransformGroup not found in gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:Reprap.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
   ...6 more

Errors in windows:

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SBPC\Desktop\reprap-host-0.8.1\reprap-ho

st-0.8.1>"D:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\java.exe" -Xmx384M -jar Reprap.j

ar

Exception in thread "RepRap" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/vecmath/Tuple

3d

at org.reprap.Main.createAndShowGUI(Unknown Source)

at org.reprap.Main.access$2400(Unknown Source)

at org.reprap.Main$23.run(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Re: Errors when running reprap host software
December 25, 2007 01:43AM
greenarrow wrote:

> I've tried to installed the reprap host software
> (with all the required libraries) and it installs
> fine but when i try to run it i get errors.

See below.

> On another note, does anyone know if there is any
> documentation on the SNAP protocol anywhere on the
> wiki, as i would like to create a python library
> that allows control of the reprap.

Well, there is [www.reprap.org] but that probably isn't what you need. Better to read the code in both the firmware .c files and the Java sources, I suspect. The C++ source to poke (poke.cc) may also be worth a look.

> Exception during event dispatch:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org.reprap.gui.RepRapBuild
> at
> java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.8rh)

Cause: You are running gcj. Use Sun Java.

> Errors in windows:

> Exception in thread "RepRap"
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/vecmath/Tuple3d

Cause: You don't have the java3d libraries installed in a place where your JRE can find them.

Jonathan

Jonathan
December 28, 2007 03:57PM
hey. I just spent the last month implementing all of the reprap snap protocol on the arduino, so its very fresh in my mind. I'm on my iPhone right now so I can't find you the links but I just updated all the documentation on all the host commands. Its on the wiu under 'reprap modules' or something. The header bytes and core snap stuff isn't documented well yet but thats something I'd love to do soon.

If I dont get on here with that link, send me a pm and ill get it for you.
December 28, 2007 06:05PM
okay, i cleaned things up a bit more. there are 2 main pages now:

1. protocol description: [reprap.org]
2. command descriptions: [reprap.org]

that should give you pretty much anything you need to know to talk to the RepRap firmware. i'd love to see a python library for talking to them, that would be awesome!

if you have any questions, please start a new thread and we can discuss it there for everyone to see.

cheers!
December 28, 2007 06:18PM
Thanks, that info is great that looks like everything i need to get started. I'm going to have a proper look at it tomorrow and see if i can start my python module.

Thanks,
stef
December 29, 2007 01:11PM
GreenArrow,

Back to the original issue:

> I've tried to installed the reprap host software (with all
> the required libraries) and it installs fine but when i try
> to run it i get errors

Do you now have the host software running OK? If you install
Sun Java and then install the required libraries per the Wiki
documentation, on either Windows or Linux, things should go
more smoothly for you :-)

Easier installation for both Windows and (at least Debian/Ubuntu)
Linux are currently both being worked on, as you may have noticed
from another thread in these forums.

Jonathan

Jonathan
January 06, 2008 09:27AM
Hi, sorry for not replying to your help before, relating to the original problem, i've tried installing everything again from scratch as i had to re-install my entire system anyway. The software is working fine however when i enable the real hardware rather than the pseudo machine the software does no seem able to communicate with the electronics. I think this may be a problem with my electronics though as i've made a large part of my python snap module and this does not work with my electronics either. The comms board works fine and messages are sent out of the serial port from the pc (and back again with tc and rx on comms board connected), however when i connect any other board into the loop messages no longer get back round to the pc. I think this must be a problem with the pics, i'm planning to re-flash them with the latest firmware this afternoon and see if that helps.

Also thanks for putting all the snap info up zach, i've implemented the basics of the protocol now, i just need to tidy it up and write the reprap specific commands.
January 06, 2008 10:48AM
I've just found the somewhat embarrassing reason as to why snap commands were not making it back to the pc with my python module, i was using a baud rate of 9600 instead of 19200 smiling smiley
January 06, 2008 03:00PM
I think the latest PowerComms PCB (1.3) has the TX and RX labels backwards, so you might want to try wiring Tx on PowerComms to Tx on a UCB, and Rx to Rx. That has worked for at least one person.

If you have a Linux machine to work on, you may also want to install the firmware sources from subversion, install sdcc and gputils by following the info in the firmware/INSTALL file, build the firmware, and then try out the tools/poke command (and / or my new tools/detect-board.sh script) and see if they tell you anything useful about what is happening.

Firmware build instructions on the Wiki need updating and verifying; a lot changed in that regard when we moved to autoconf-based firmware building on 2007-12-24. The info is firmware/INSTALL is current and seems to work, I expect I'll put it on the wiki soon.

Jonathan

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login