Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poor/non-existant bridging, no raft - Any solutions?

Posted by dazed.dnc 
Poor/non-existant bridging, no raft - Any solutions?
November 21, 2010 03:02AM
I have been using Skeinforge to slice up models for my makerbot and it does a great job of altering the tool path to span gaps where needed. Now that I have a Mendel, I'm trying to print the same part using the host software. The host software just ignores the gap and continues printing the normal infill pattern over open air though. Generally, one end of each line does not land on any support since it is printing at 45 degree angles instead of making straight lines to connect the towers. The unsupported end just collapses and I get a pile of loose noodles in the middle of the part.

Is there a way to make the host software correctly slice parts that need bridges?

I have tried using Skeinforge to make Gcode for my mendel, but when I print the Gcode, the machine locks up after the first E code is sent. Not being able to combine and reposition STLs via the host interface is a major drag too.

The other question I had was how to enable rafts. I have a heated build plate, but rafts are still helpful when printing with ABS/HDPE. My build plate is a bit warped so the raft should help level out my build surface too.
Re: Poor/non-existant bridging, no raft - Any solutions?
November 21, 2010 09:57AM
Many people prefer skeinforge to the reprap java host anyway (much due to things like you mention) so why not continue using skeinforge?
Some people use repsnapper, and others send.py or sendgcode.exe to send the gcode, but didn't Erik tweak replicatorG so it's usable out of the box with mendel?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 21, 2010 01:42PM
I downloaded Skeinforge 35 last night, but I have yet to try it. Before that I think I was using Skeinforge 17 or 18. I saw the "dimensions" tab, which I guess enables the E codes, but my reprap stops responding after it tries to purge the extruder. I see that the G1 command with the E code was sent, but it never starts extruding.

I notice that Gcode made by the host software is using ";" for comments instead of "(" and ")". If Gcode from the new skeinforge doesn't work, I was thinking I would try changing all the comments. Maybe my firmware is only programmed to handle ";" comments or maybe the host software can't handle the other comment system. I'm using ";" in start.txt, which just homes the build plate and brings everything up to operating temperature. Everything seems fine until it finishes executing those commands.

I looked at repsnapper, but I didn't see a way of configuring things like extrusion width or temperature. Am I missing something? Of course, I could use Skeinforge to make the Gcode then have repsnapper send it. Since repsnapper has an STL positioning feature, it might be handy to have repsnapper configured to slice things up though.
November 21, 2010 03:04PM
With repsnapper slicing you would have the same problem with bridges as with the reprap host.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 21, 2010 05:51PM
No luck with the new skeinforge either. Even after changing the comments, the reprap just locks up when it gets the first E code. It will print Gcode made by the host software just fine though. Unfortunately, without functional bridging, that Gcode is useless.

I'm going to try some of the other tools, but I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with the host software. Something causes my reprap to lock up when using skeinforge Gcode. The debug LED stops blinking and the heater is either frozen in an on or off state.

EDIT:
I think I made a little bit of progress, but it still won't complete a print when I use skeinforge to slice the STL.

One thing I found was that Skeinforge was using E codes as well as M101/103. When it got to one of those M codes, I saw a bunch of retry errors in the reprap host console. I added empty M101 and M103 switch cases to the firmware just to stop it from causing an error since I can't get Skeinforge to stop using them.

I also added a bit of code to handle both types of comments. It shouldn't have made a difference since I had already tried manually switching all "(...)" style comments to ";" comments, but it seems to have helped somehow.

After changing that, I am finally able to purge the extruder. However, after this it is supposed to retract the filament then go to the center of the build plate. Instead, it just stays at the purge location. The debug light blinks and I see the heater outputs switching, so I'm not sure why it stops processing Gcodes. "G1 F1500.0" is the last Gcode I see in the host console. There are more lines after this, but they are never sent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 12:48AM by dazed.dnc.
emt
November 22, 2010 06:18AM
Hi

Skeinforge has a file called replace.csv.

You can use it to change output and even kill commands.

Mine is as follows and produces code that works fine with the standard firmware.

M108 ;
M113 ;
M101 ;
M103 ;
G1 E20.0 ;
G1 E0.0 G92 E0
M104 M109
M109 S20 M104 S20

Note thats it must be a TAB character between items. The last line is "M109 S20"TAB"M014 S 20"

I suggest you set skeinforge export to Gcode small and tick delete comments which should solve the "" problem

Regards

Ian
November 22, 2010 08:33PM
I also use skeinforge with the makerbot. I don't see a (convenient) way to use different replace.csv files for each profile, which leads me to believe this is not the most user-friendly option for my particular setup. Far as I can see, I would have to move the file when I didn't need it. I don't see an option for changing the script like you get with "fill" or "speed", which would make this configuration change when I choose a different profile.

I don't understand it, but the reprap host throws in a lot of extra Z and E moves. For example:
;#!LAYER: 1/59
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 F50.0; feed for start of next move
G1 Z8.95 F63.2 ;z move
G1 Z9.2 F50.0 ;z move
;#!LAYER: 2/59
G28 X0 ;set x 0
G28 Y0 ;set y 0
G1 F50.0; feed for start of next move
G28 Z0 ;set z 0
G1 Z0.3 F65.6 ;z move

I put these exact same moves in my start.txt file and it actually finishes execution. For the first time the extruder will center itself over the build plate and then begin printing. It is stupidly redundant and I don't understand what makes it work, but it works so I'm sticking with it.
emt
November 24, 2010 06:28AM
Hi

I use batch files to start Skeinforge. One renames replace.csv with replace.emc and the other renames replace.csv with replace.host. A third one deletes replace.csv for testing.
The second line of the batch file actually starts skeinforge. Simple one click operation.

Regards

Ian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login